Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Men bring youth to Division I heavies (Argus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men bring youth to Division I heavies (Argus)

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...35/1002/SPORTS

Men bring youth to Division I heavies

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 11/10/05

BROOKINGS - Even though they can't play in the Big Dance, big-time basketball has arrived for the young South Dakota State men.

Kentucky, Illinois and Minnesota all before Christmas. Not to mention that two other NCAA Tournament qualifiers - Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Utah State - are also part of SDSU's strategy to make a splash by taking on anyone at any time.

In other words, welcome to the real Division I experience.

"When I was first coming here, Coach (Scott) Nagy promised me we'd be playing all these big teams and the best in the country," said sophomore Steve Holdren, who will get his wish Sunday when SDSU opens at No. 9 Kentucky on national television. "This year's schedule proves that."

SDSU went 10-18 a year ago in its first year as a member of Division I. But NCAA rules allowed the Jacks to play only a partial D-I schedule, and they won just once in 16 tries against opponents at their new level.

But in this second season of the transition, Nagy's club will play all but one of its 28 games against D-I schools. And the 11th-year coach didn't shy away from the top of the crop.

Case in point: the Jacks will open with Elite Eight and perennial powerhouse Kentucky on Sunday in the Guardians Classic. Five days later, it's on to Champaign, Ill., where they will play preseason All-American Dee Brown and NCAA runner-up Illinois.

SDSU's first two games will be broadcast on ESPNU, which is available locally on digital cable.

Along with playing one of the nation's most difficult schedules over the first two months, Nagy must also learn about his roster. The Jackrabbits have no seniors and only five letter winners to blend with 10 players who have yet to touch the court in a D-I game.

"We're very excited to be able to play a team that has the kind of history that Kentucky has, then five days later, we're at Illinois," Nagy said. "That doesn't really bode well for inexperience. But our players are excited about it, and our coaches are excited about being involved in that game."

Sophomore swingman Steve Holdren and junior forward Ben Beran will be leaned upon to provide much of the scoring and leadership. Both players were named to Street and Smith's preseason All-Division I Independent team.

Lanky-but-strong 6-foot-7 forward Beran was a bright spot in the post last year, leading the Jacks with 13.6 points a game and grabbed 5.9 rebounds a contest.

Holdren's sturdy 6-5 frame helped bring some stability to the backcourt in his freshman year, averaging 12.5 points and six rebounds a night with a slashing ability to go to the hoop.

"We just have to do our best to keep the team focused and play up to our abilities and bring the rest of the team along with us," Holdren said of the leadership style he and Beran need to bring.

They will be matched in the starting frontcourt by either 6-6 sophomore Michael Loney, who averaged 7.7 points last year while recovering from knee surgery, or 6-8 junior college transfer Mohamed Berté. Joe Green, a forward who started at the end of last season, left the team in the spring after his sophomore year.

Berté and 6-2 guard Jose Frias, though both newcomers, are older players who Nagy expects will eventually contribute significantly after the New Year, but both showed their potential in exhibition games with Morningside and Upper Iowa last week.

An athletic inside force from the Ivory Coast, Berté had 16 points and 19 rebounds in the two preseason games. Frias, a New York City product who last played collegiately in 2004, had 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting in the exhibition wins.

"A lot of times, transfers look great before practice starts because they're just allowed to play. But all of a sudden, practice starts and here comes all the information, all the new plays and all the things we do," Nagy said. "It's kind of like a computer that gets a virus - it just shuts them down.

Twin Cities products Matt Cadwell (6-3) and Andre Gilbert (6-7) are penciled in as the starting backcourt tandem, hoping to give the Jackrabbits the type of speed and athletic ability at the guard position which is critical at the Division I level.

Those two redshirt freshmen will be joined at guard by Mackenzie Casey (6-foot sophomore) and Andy Kleinjan (6-3 junior) - who have minimal playing experience - and James Keller (6-2 redshirt freshman).

Nagy said protecting the ball is critical after his team committed 40 turnovers to just 36 assists in exhibition play.

Four true freshmen will likely redshirt, but 6-10 forwards Robert Bilitz and Mark Engen are there if SDSU needs depth inside. Sully Buttes High product Blake Yackley (6-5 guard) and Canadian Cam Hornby (6-foot guard) round out the class.

With the amount of young players, the always temperamental Nagy found himself yelling at one of his guards at practice a few weeks ago, then realized just how little the player had accomplished.

"I went home, and I just thought to myself, this young man has not even played a college basketball game yet, and I'm expecting him to play like a senior," Nagy said. "There is a lot of inexperience out there, and it's going to take a little bit of time."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Re: Men bring youth to Division I heavies (Argus)

We certainly can't complain about the coverage we are receiving from Chris Solari and the Argus. I think they are on top of the significance of SDSU being the State's only DI program.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
      We certainly can't complain about the coverage we are receiving from Chris Solari and the Argus. I think they are on top of the significance of SDSU being the State's only DI program.

All the credit should go to Chris. I still need to sit down and have a beer (or 4) with that guy.

As I suspected it sounds like Nagy is planning to redshirt the freshman. I think this is a good idea.

Four true freshmen will likely redshirt, but 6-10 forwards Robert Bilitz and Mark Engen are there if SDSU needs depth inside. Sully Buttes High product Blake Yackley (6-5 guard) and Canadian Cam Hornby (6-foot guard) round out the class.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

From what I saw in the 2 exhibitions as much as we need depth that two 6'10 players can provide they are simply not ready physically or mentally. I think Cam Hornby could contribute immediately but why do that with the current depth at the guard position. Cam had an allyoop pass to Engen for a slam to end the Upper Iowa game that was impressive.

Comment

I swell up with pride every time I see the schedules of our athletic teams have put together. There's no limping into D-I here. Anybody, anytime, anywhere and put your boots on cause we plan on workin.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            From what I saw in the 2 exhibitions as much as we need depth that two 6'10 players can provide they are simply not ready physically or mentally. I think Cam Hornby could contribute immediately but why do that with the current depth at the guard position. Cam had an allyoop pass to Engen for a slam to end the Upper Iowa game that was impressive.
            Hornby can create a jump shot off the dribble, something that seems like a lost art in basketball sometimes. The two tall guys need a year of Aramark food (try the burritos, fellas, they're huge) and weightlifting. We'll be a little small with Berte and Loney in the middle, but Berte is athletic and Loney is a scrapper, so I think we'll be OK.

Comment

I'm not too worried about our size. Remember that the Kentucky's of the world are few and far between. There are very few D1 teams with a good 7'0" in the middle. Most teams are stuck using an athletic 6'9" guy or a slow 6'10" guy who is spelled by either another slow 6'10" guy or athletic 6'8"-6'9" guy. I was only able to watch 3 games last year, but did see the Marquette and UWMilwaukee games. Our inside game was our only bright spot in both of those games. I know I'm preaching to the choir to most on this board and we'd all agree that we need improved guard play over anything else this season.

I spoke to "the secret weapon" this week and SDSU's men's basketball team - players and coaches - are going into Kentucky with one goal: win. I can't wait to see what happens. Most likely we'll get beat badly. But, they play these games for a reason and stranger things have happened.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I just looked at the Argus for today. A small portion on the front page pointing to the basketball story.

The sports section front page is mostly a large Megan Vogel photo and the two basketball stories, which are continued on later pages.

Also on the inside cover are the games of the week:

1. SDSU vs. Kentucky 2. USD soccer game? 3. SDSU - NDSU

All in all a very pro-SDSU day in the Argus (not much else in the sports though).

But I do have to smile at their attempt at humor with putting a D2 soccer game above a very, very big FB game in Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                  I just looked at the Argus for today. A small portion on the front page pointing to the basketball story.

The sports section front page is mostly a large Megan Vogel photo and the two basketball stories, which are continued on later pages.

Also on the inside cover are the games of the week:

1. SDSU vs. Kentucky 2. USD soccer game? 3. SDSU - NDSU

All in all a very pro-SDSU day in the Argus (not much else in the sports though).

But I do have to smile at their attempt at humor with putting a D2 soccer game above a very, very big FB game in Fargo.
                  I'd call it appalling editorial judgment, personally.

The NDSU-SDSU game should have been the lead sports story in the Sioux Falls media all week--closely followed by a run-up to the Kentucky-SDSU basketball game this weekend.

Think about it.

Kentucky vs. SDSU, in men's basketball. Could it get bigger? (Actually, yeah, it could . . . Illinois vs. SDSU . . . )

The fact that D-II and NAIA sports stories are leading sports pages and sportscasts shows that the S.D. media still hasn't really cottoned onto the fact that there's now a "major college" team in their backyard.

As time goes on, SDSU coverage will increasingly be the lead story. Just watch.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                  X