Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Tennis coach survives medical scare

SDSU players help Hanson get treated for heart attack
    South Dakota State nearly lost more than a couple duals on a recent men's tennis trip.
    Jackrabbits coach Don Hanson suffered a heart attack due to a 95-percent blockage in his coronary artery April 10 during a match in Fort Wayne, Ind. But the 71-year-old did more than merely survive. Thanks to the actions of his players and despite his own stubbornness, he didn't miss any action and returned to Brookings feeling better than before.
    "I'm a very positive person, so the only thing that bothered me was I felt I'd let the team down," Hanson said. "But I didn't because I never missed a match. If the kids hadn't gotten me to the hospital, I probably would have died."

The coach has had a history of angina - chest pain that results when an area of the heart doesn't get enough oxygen-rich blood. So he figured he was having another bout when he struggled walking to a morning match. He tried aspirin and taking it easy, but that didn't help.

Hanson then called Jacks associate athletic director Rob Peterson to let him know that he wasn't feeling well. In turn, Peterson, figuring that Hanson would not seek medical attention, got in touch with the SDSU players and told them to take the coach to the hospital by whatever means necessary.

Although their van was equipped with a GPS unit, the Jacks feigned getting lost after their Summit League match and ultimately pulled into Parkview Heart Institute, a renowned cardiac center in Fort Wayne. Within minutes, Hanson was undergoing an angioplasty.
    Less than 24 hours later, he was back on the court for the last match of the road trip and feeling rejuvenated. (more)http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...0202/904210333

Re: SDSU Tennis coach survives medical scare

I was on the trip this weekend with the womens tennis team and Coach Hanson was back at it putting in 16 hour days in his usual cantankerous good humor. He truly cares about his players, the tennis program and SDSU. We are lucky to have him.

Comment

Great report.

Some will remember one of the all-time great distance runners at SDSU (and in the world, for that matter), Garry Bentley from Australia (multiple national champ in X-Country and distances in track...early 70s -- HoboD's time at State). Coach Hanson is Bentley's connection with SDSU. Hanson was teaching in Australia at the time and could spot talent and made a few phone calls.

Comment

If you haven't had the chance to meet coach Hansen it is worth the time. He is really an interesting person and has a great story.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
        X