No announcement yet.

Stig on Omaha Radio Today 10:30 a.m.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stig on Omaha Radio Today 10:30 a.m.

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
    Yeah, I thought about warning everyone how bad Schick & Nick are, but I figured you all could form your own opinions. And actually, I thought they did far better during the interview than I expected. I thought they were fair and that Stig did a fine job.

Listen for yourself.
    Thanks for posting this audio link. Stig as usual did represent SDSU very positively, and well these guys are about big time football and we are a big step below. So the availabilty of electricty would dance around a little in their sophisicated Omaha minds. I suspect they have no knowledge of the REA Act of 1935.

I can't say I ever listened to this station as I lived in Columbus for 20 years and traveled around the state. How long has this 1620 had a sports talk format? Could this format existed before 2005? That about the time I moved north to my current home.

Comment

Nidaros: 1620 The Zone became all sports around 2000. That is when a lot of stations were making that switch. Their main attraction is a guy by the name of Kevin Kugler. He is a Lincoln native that hosts an afternoon talk show and does play-by-play. He has gone from a guy that did College World Series games, because he was handy, to the Lead Announcer for Westwood One, the top syndicator of Sports in the country. He does NFL football each week, including the playoffs and Super Bowl. He did the Final Four this year. He was in China anchoring the radio coverage of the Olympics. He is also a great guy who deserves everything he has gotten!

Matt Schick and Nick Bahe are the guys that had Stig on. Nick is a Nebraska native and former Creighton basketball player. I think Matt is from Iowa maybe? I don't know his background, although it might be available somewhere on their website.

KUlaw: Thanks. We try to be as prepared as we can. We also try to be flixible, because you never know what path a guest is going to lead you down! Those interviews can sometimes be the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
        Matt Schick and Nick Bahe are the guys that had Stig on. Nick is a Nebraska native and former Creighton basketball player. I think Matt is from Iowa maybe? I don't know his background, although it might be available somewhere on their website.
        Schick is from Colorado and a CU grad. Started out in TV as a sportscaster out in Kearney and moved up to KETV in Omaha. He left TV to do the morning radio show sometime last year. He's now back on TV part time as KETV had some departures in its sports dept. He's pretty sharp, but kind of a goofball (his Beano Cook impersonations are hilarious). KETV gave him a lot of leeway, as evidenced by this little spoof with the Pelinis. When Schick & Nick have a topic and stay on task (like they did with Coach Stig), they're OK, otherwise, they're mostly unlistenable.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          This is the stuff that bothers me. Maybe I need a thicker skin but maybe I also expect these people to know the opponents they are talking about quite a bit better. Say what you want, but if my job is to talk Cornhusker football and I know that this is the day I'm having the opposing team's head coach on, I'd want to be as well versed as possible and avoid the "do you guys have electricity?" vibe.

For instance: Mike, I listen to your show in the afternoon sometimes and you guys know what is happening with a wide swath of athletics in all fields. It impresses me and I thank you for doing your homework and being in the know when you interview your guests. Makes for good listening.

/rant
          I hear what you are saying but I think it is an unrealistic expectation. Click and Clack (whatever their names) can probably tell you everything you need to know about Texas and Oklahoma but SDSU isn't a big game to them. I may be giving them too much credit. The fact that it is homecoming adds some spice to it. There have been a few lower division teams we have played the last few years and our media and fans don't put as much weight into them before the game. There was that one time....... Anyway, you get the drift.

I have no problem with SDSU being the next Appalachian State vs. Michigan!

Stig does a great job of telling how things are at SDSU and represents the school in an a great manner.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

All things being equal, and they're not, and speaking broadly here, I'd still rather be Collegiate U than Pro U - would rather support the team aspiring to beat the so-called Big Boys than wondering what Reggie Bush pro-am types we have on the squad this year...

The great thing about it is you will always remember that Appalachian State beat Mighty Michigan, but who other than Stig even remembered that Nicholls State played Nebraska?

Frankly, I found the avoiding injury sub-topic condescending, although you can't entirely blame the radio guys. Nicholls State clearly game-planned that '06 beating (56-7 was your final) as a risk-averse payday. (Which, when you think of it, is just as distorting of college athletics as guys paid under the table). Seven guys carried the football and they attempted a grand total of three passes (completing zero). That says to me that they used their offense just to milk the clock and get the game over.

The way Stig described Minnett in that interview I can't imagine Stig going to his All American before the game and saying, "Kyle, we're going to hold you back because the other guys are so mean you might get hurt." I get the impression we're more "let's strap it up and see who wins" guys, which is a better life lesson than what you get from taking the check and limping out of town.

After the umpteenth "aren't you worried about injuries?" query, a less diplomatic coach than Stig might have asked if Nebraska played dirty. But then he would have had to clarify it to on-the-field play, not the walk-on program poaching calls to other schools' verbals the night before signing day....

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              All things being equal, and they're not, and speaking broadly here, I'd still rather be Collegiate U than Pro U - would rather support the team aspiring to beat the so-called Big Boys than wondering what Reggie Bush pro-am types we have on the squad this year...

The great thing about it is you will always remember that Appalachian State beat Mighty Michigan, but who other than Stig even remembered that Nicholls State played Nebraska?

Frankly, I found the avoiding injury sub-topic condescending, although you can't entirely blame the radio guys. Nicholls State clearly game-planned that '06 beating (56-7 was your final) as a risk-averse payday. (Which, when you think of it, is just as distorting of college athletics as guys paid under the table). Seven guys carried the football and they attempted a grand total of three passes (completing zero). That says to me that they used their offense just to milk the clock and get the game over.

The way Stig described Minnett in that interview I can't imagine Stig going to his All American before the game and saying, "Kyle, we're going to hold you back because the other guys are so mean you might get hurt." I get the impression we're more "let's strap it up and see who wins" guys, which is a better life lesson than what you get from taking the check and limping out of town.

After the umpteenth "aren't you worried about injuries?" query, a less diplomatic coach than Stig might have asked if Nebraska played dirty. But then he would have had to clarify it to on-the-field play, not the walk-on program poaching calls to other schools' verbals the night before signing day....

Sorry, couldn't resist...
              hammer, meet the Head of the nail. Hit it square! I agree. There is no way you go to these guys and say "You aren't good enuff to play 60 minutes. Let's just get it over with and move on."

I think I would trade 5 wins, next season to beat the Huskers. That would be a memory of a lifetime for the players and for State.
              You're telling me these guys don't want to see how they measure up as men for 60 minutes? Of course they do. Jacks gave 60 hard minutes against every FBS school they've played, and they'll do it again. My guess is we can stack the box pretty good and let our secondary do it's thing.
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                I think I would trade 5 wins, next season to beat the Huskers.
                I wouldn't go that far, but maybe I'm in the minority...no way I would trade 5 wins and an FCS playoff berth for a win over the Huskers.

That idea is in line with the thinking of some of the Bison fans up north..."ya we only have one quality Missouri Valley win, but, but, but we beat a really bad Gopher team and Central Michigan...which FBS team has SDSU beat? And we have a lot of tailgating rigs and your tailgating is muddy". (Okay so I added that last part knowing it was off topic - sorry)

I don't think the notoriety of an FBS win trumps the true accomplishments of winning our conference, playoff games, and a NC. I think Stig and the team would say those are the goals of our program this year and beyond.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                  I wouldn't go that far, but maybe I'm in the minority...no way I would trade 5 wins and an FCS playoff berth for a win over the Huskers.

That idea is in line with the thinking of some of the Bison fans up north..."ya we only have one quality Missouri Valley win, but, but, but we beat a really bad Gopher team and Central Michigan...which FBS team has SDSU beat? And we have a lot of tailgating rigs and your tailgating is muddy". (Okay so I added that last part knowing it was off topic - sorry)

I don't think the notoriety of an FBS win trumps the true accomplishments of winning our conference, playoff games, and a NC. I think Stig and the team would say those are the goals of our program this year and beyond.
                  On that note, has anyone seen the new tailgating maps? They are opening up tailgating on several of the hard surface lots. The backyard will remain available for larger groups while several of the hard surface lots will accommodate smaller groups. Should help to enhance the gameday experience.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    On that note, has anyone seen the new tailgating maps? They are opening up tailgating on several of the hard surface lots. The backyard will remain available for larger groups while several of the hard surface lots will accommodate smaller groups. Should help to enhance the gameday experience.
                    Can I get a link to this new map please? I think opening up the surrounding lots for tailgating is a great idea and a long time coming personally. The Backyard can get EXTREMELY crowded and its hard to do important things like play bags and beer pole.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                      hammer, meet the Head of the nail. Hit it square! I agree. There is no way you go to these guys and say "You aren't good enuff to play 60 minutes. Let's just get it over with and move on."

I think I would trade 5 wins, next season to beat the Huskers. That would be a memory of a lifetime for the players and for State.
                      You're telling me these guys don't want to see how they measure up as men for 60 minutes? Of course they do. Jacks gave 60 hard minutes against every FBS school they've played, and they'll do it again. My guess is we can stack the box pretty good and let our secondary do it's thing.

I think I'd trade five wins for that, too, come to think of it.
                      Go jacks

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                        Nidaros: 1620 The Zone became all sports around 2000. That is when a lot of stations were making that switch. Their main attraction is a guy by the name of Kevin Kugler. He is a Lincoln native that hosts an afternoon talk show and does play-by-play. He has gone from a guy that did College World Series games, because he was handy, to the Lead Announcer for Westwood One, the top syndicator of Sports in the country. He does NFL football each week, including the playoffs and Super Bowl. He did the Final Four this year. He was in China anchoring the radio coverage of the Olympics. He is also a great guy who deserves everything he has gotten!

KUlaw: Thanks. We try to be as prepared as we can. We also try to be flixible, because you never know what path a guest is going to lead you down! Those interviews can sometimes be the most fun.
                        Thanks Mike. I have heard of Kevin Kugler. I seem to recall he did a show on KFAB every evening. I was not aware of his rise to fame in the broadcasting field. I enjoyed his programs though.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

OK..4 wins...we'd easily get a playoff bid still Face it Bison fans think they invented tailgating. A tailgating area should be muddy. Besides if we laid asphalt it would all just have to be ripped up when we start building all that stuff back there. Can't increase our expenditures for the short term need to keep our eyes on the long haul.
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Thanks Mike. I have heard of Kevin Kugler. I seem to recall he did a show on KFAB every evening. I was not aware of his rise to fame in the broadcasting field. I enjoyed his programs though.
                            are you sure you aren't thinking of jim rose? but yes nick and shick are terrible, when the spread was on 1480, it was nearly as bad but in a different way(jason peter was the co-host and once chris schmidt was let go no one could really control him) the big problem with nick and shick is that they are new. It'll be much better when USC does their interview.

Comment

Originally posted by vuren View Post
                              are you sure you aren't thinking of jim rose? but yes nick and shick are terrible, when the spread was on 1480, it was nearly as bad but in a different way(jason peter was the co-host and once chris schmidt was let go no one could really control him) the big problem with nick and shick is that they are new. It'll be much better when USC does their interview.
                              I sold my house in Columbus in 2005 so have had no or little contact with Nebraska. I do know the name Kevin Kugler, seems like he did the TV voice for the Neb Public Television games that involved UNO. I think it was Jim Rose, that I heard nightly on KFAB. Funny my dial never seem to find anything around the 162o mark.

Comment

Because there's been slight topic drift and this is a decent NDSU/tailgating story, I'll share it. It's from last year's NDSU at SDSU game. We had been tailgating and were walking into the stadium when it happened. Now, I always try to be polite to visitors, even Bison fans. But if they speak up first, I will return fire. So near the stadium entrance, a woman in her NDSU gear, who had mud on her shoes from the Back Yard, said to me, "You know, they have a thing called concrete." I had not said a word to her, I was just walking next to her. But I just turned my head and said, "Why don't you guys just worry about winning a game once in awhile." And that was the end of our little conversation. It wasn't friendly and polite, but...I felt a happy little feeling that only grew as the game rolled by.
                                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X