Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game thoughts

Originally posted by JRabFan33 View Post
    What has the O line been doing the past 5 months? I know that Defense usually looks better in the spring, but look at the situation at hand. The spring game was, as I said earlier, EMBARRASSING. The RB's could not even get the hand off without getting met in the backfield, and TOB got sacked every other pass play. The passes he did complete where all 3 step quick stuff. If the O line was even halfway decent don't you think they could have done a little better in the spring game? It is ok to be an optimist about the O line situation, but when October comes around everyone on here will be saying the exact same thing I am right now.
    Okay, we'll circle back in October.
    But the Jacks just had two graduating O-lineman sign free agent contracts with the NFL, so could it be possible to just give a tiny bit of credence to history and past accomplishments of players and coaches, and maybe hold back on the out-of-the-gate screed that diminishes said history and accomplishment?
    Is yours a vendetta again a particular coach, observations from the cheap seats, the insight of an ex-O-lineman, or simply an attempt to stir the pot? As it stands, that's impossible to determine. But what is known is the rushing game fact history cited here earlier and the overall success of the Jackrabbits. I'll stick with that.

In the meantime, here are excerpts of reports of other spring games:

RICHMOND, Va. - Rising senior DT Martin Parker, who was a Buchanan Award finalist last season, was in on four sacks as the Richmond Defense controlled the Spiders' annual Spring Game Saturday afternoon at UR Stadium. Using a modified scoring system, the Defense rolled to a 54-23 victory in the first Spring Game for first-year head coach Latrell Scott.

AND

COLUMBUS, Ohio — John Simon led a dominating defensive effort during an Ohio State scrimmage Saturday in Ohio Stadium.

The defensive tackle had two sacks for 25 yards lost and a fumble recovery in the end zone for a touchdown as the defense beat the offense 78-24, earning the right to wear the scarlet jerseys in practice.

AND

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) -- Virginia's defense had the upper hand Saturday as the first-team offense struggled mightily in the Cavaliers' first spring game under Mike London. Quarterback Marc Verica completed just 8 of 23 passes and threw two interceptions working with the first unit against the frontline defense. He was also the only one of...

See a trend here?

Comment

Is JRabFan33 Lakes Bison in disguise? Why even respond to someone who does not even know what DI offensive linemen do in the off season? Obviously he is just trying to stir the pot.

Read Terry V's blog on the spring game and mellow out.

I'm sure it is the O-Lines fault that Julian Wagner dropped two passes including one Touchdown pass per JRabFan33. In Julian's defense, he moved over from defense to offense this year.

Why give credence to one misguided fan's opinion? Coach Meadow's record speaks for itself. He would laugh at such ignorant talk that has been posted on this thread. Actually, he wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
        Why give credence to one misguided fan's opinion?
        Amen, brother!

Comment

Why even respond to someone who does not even know what DI offensive linemen do in the off season? Obviously he is just trying to stir the pot.

If you can't argue and debate, what's this forum for?

Comment

Sdsufans.com Jack Football forum's debates have usually been above average, educated, and well informed. Some of the logic used in this thread sounds like it came right out of Bisonville.

Grant it, it may be fun to read for some people, but a waste of time for others. It is fun reading the counter arguments, I'll give you that.

Comment

I dont think its a question of talent. I feel that play calling last year was a little dry. It seems pretty obvious to formations that were run or pass plays. When you have 2 NFL type lineman you would expect dominating rushing with a workhorse like Minett. All things considered I am not worried one bit. Get healthy and start gelling come fall camp and we will be fine. A little more variety in the offensive game plan which I feel EE will bring can make up for any precieved lack of talent at the line.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

TV's blog today: [Comment From keyser keyser: ]
                Did you get any quotes from the o-line or meadows in regards to their performance after the spring game. Thursday April 29, 2010 2:51 keyser

2:52
                I didn't get quotes, but I spoke to them. Let's just say that not everything was on the offensive line. What I mean is, the QBs weren't great in making decisions and the defensive calls were more aggressive than in most spring games.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I dont think its a question of talent. I feel that play calling last year was a little dry. It seems pretty obvious to formations that were run or pass plays. When you have 2 NFL type lineman you would expect dominating rushing with a workhorse like Minett. All things considered I am not worried one bit. Get healthy and start gelling come fall camp and we will be fine. A little more variety in the offensive game plan which I feel EE will bring can make up for any precieved lack of talent at the line.
                  I was not always thrilled with the play calling last year. Especially at Montana in the second half. That, however, is a completely different point of contention than discussing the merits of the O-line and recruiting of the O-line.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

TV's blog today: [Comment From keyser keyser: ]
                    Did you get any quotes from the o-line or meadows in regards to their performance after the spring game. Thursday April 29, 2010 2:51 keyser

2:52
                    I didn't get quotes, but I spoke to them. Let's just say that not everything was on the offensive line. What I mean is, the QBs weren't great in making decisions and the defensive calls were more aggressive than in most spring games.
                    I've said this before, regarding what appears to be the o-line's fault on busted plays and sacks. Often times, it is the quarterback's responsibility to see the blitz, or a certain front and check pass-pro a certain way, or change the running play based on the defensive alignment. (yes this does happen at this level, at least from 2000-2004). I did not watch this in great detail at the spring game, but I do know that last season there were some big sacks that occurred because of this.

I think it's difficult to assess the spring game performance because of injuries, and because the defense may have dialed up the blitzes and stunts more than was expected. Nonetheless, I think a bigger issue was our quarterback play. There was probably only 3-4 times the entire scrimmage that I did not know who the quarterback was going to throw to from the onset of the snap. I really hope the EE can coach up our physically gifted quarterbacks, or it may be a VERY long season.

And for those of you who are tired of seeing the quick strike to the flats....get used to it. I think we are going to see a ton of it in the fall because 1) It was largely successful here when EE was a coordinator, 2)our quarterbacks have not demonstrated the ability to make reads and throw consistently over the middle, and 3) it is a relatively safe pass for a quarterback with a strong arm.

I don't mean to criticize anybody on this board, I'm just saying it as I see it. I'm far less concerned about our o-line than perhaps other key components of our offense. I hope that everyone has great summer workouts heading into fall.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      If you can't argue and debate, what's this forum for?
                      Have to agree with this statement. Whether someone flies off the cuff or is absolutely correct the forum is for voicing pros and cons on whatever you feel like. If you think someone is an idiot prove they are(yes, I know that sets me up for all sorts of remarks) and be done with it. Even though you may not agree with Jackfabfan3434593823, he still has the right to call it as he sees it, and you have the right to smack it down(which I think plenty have....with gusto).
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I have a lot of faith in our coaching staff. No matter what the experience situation is on the O-line, we always seem to run the ball pretty well. I'm sure this fall will be no exception.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                          I was not always thrilled with the play calling last year. Especially at Montana in the second half. That, however, is a completely different point of contention than discussing the merits of the O-line and recruiting of the O-line.
                          I agree, Its other factors then the recruiting and quality of the line coaching. You dont get 1000 yard rushers every year if you can't recruit good lineman. What you do with them play calling is one thing but talent is not the question.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JRabFan33 View Post
                            I love how Jackrabbit nation is putting their hopes on one o line transfer. My question is, Where is the recruiting? It seems like Coach Meadows (the o line coach) has had his head up his butt every recruiting year for the past 4 years. Lets face it, the Jacks right now have two decent D1 linemen in McKnight and Fick, everyone else is terrible. I was at the game Saturday and the o line play was absolutely PATHETIC! I feel bad for the rest of Jackrabbitt skill players, the offense would have been better if TOB took a knee every down. Every time we ran the ball Minnett or whoever else got stopped in the backfield for a minus 3 yard loss, and every time we threw the ball TOB had 3 guys right in his face. Coach Meadows has already shown his incompetence as the OC and O line coach, why is he still on the staff? He cannot recruit, he cannot coordinate. In my opinion Coach Stig should fire him just like he fired coach Sarvis a few years ago. Thoughts?
                            I think you're crazy.

Comment

Working...
                            X