Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Players no longer with team

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    In case you were wondering still why moving to SF to be closer to home was an issue for Mr. Weiss please read the sory found on the link below.
    http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...31/1002/sports

I hope that Jake's willingness to share helps others seek help if they need it.

All the best to this young man.
    Smart move by Jake to realize he needs to take care of himself and not be afraid of people knowing what is going on with him. Hope moving closer to his family helps and wish him the best with playing for Augie.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Depression is a big issue for alot of people. I really feel for them. I discovered recently that a friend of mine struggles with it. This guy, like many others, on the outside has life by the horns and nothing to be depressed about, which speaks to the uglyness of this disease.

It's great that Jake is able to speak about this and possibly help many others. I only wish him all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        The kids got a lot more guts than any of us idiots throwing rocks at each other behind pseudonyms. Very nice story and I wish him the best in all he does...very smart to realize he had a problem bigger than himself at such a young age, and to make the correct decisions that will help him succeed.
        Well put. When this came out I joked about him needing to be closer to home than 45 minutes. I guess it's no joke. Foot in mouth....yet again.

Comment

Good for Jake. I hope that his struggles show other athletes that it is okay to ask for help and to admit that things aren't always so great. Sometimes people just assume that star athletes are human and not everything is perfect for them.

I also hope that this situation teaches some on these boards that they don't know everything that is happening in the program (no matter who they "talk to.") Perhaps waiting for all the facts to come to the surface before passing judgement will start to happen. Sadly, I believe that many will continue to promote half-truths and general hear-say.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            I also hope that this situation teaches some on these boards that they don't know everything that is happening in the program (no matter who they "talk to.") Perhaps waiting for all the facts to come to the surface before passing judgement will start to happen.
            This is advice that people should follow in all aspects of their lives.

I hope Jake does well and look forward to seeing him on the field at Kirkeby-Over Stadium. When the Jacks are on the road of course.

Comment

Quick point, using alcohol or drugs greatly aggravates conditions like depression and anxiety disorders. Choosing to use these substances no doubt complicates situations like this young mans. He admitted as much. I hope he has recognized that and avoids alcohol and situations that put him at increased use to abuse it. Properly treated mental illness requires a commitment from the individual being treated to comply with the care providers recommendations. It is important for patients to recognize their own contributions to complications of their mental and physical health. In fact, in most instances its of paramount importance to their recovery. I think in this article Mr. Weiss has acknowledge that.

Best of luck to Mr. Weiss as he goes forward in life, making proper decisions and surrounding himself with the right people will help assure he has success. I think Coach Stig would have been a great person to help him along and hope he finds a similar figure at Augustana.

A situation like this makes me (only speaking for myself) wonder about other local area athletes that have had experience with the legal system.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                A situation like this makes me (only speaking for myself) wonder about other local area athletes that have had experience with the legal system.
                This is exactly why I never laugh at NDSU having problems with MIP's and the like because we never hear about the ones up at SDSU. If Terry ever wanted to ambulance chase he'd just have to spend a few minutes each week perusing the Register for the court happenings and would likely open a few eyes.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                  This is exactly why I never laugh at NDSU having problems with MIP's and the like because we never hear about the ones up at SDSU. If Terry ever wanted to ambulance chase he'd just have to spend a few minutes each week perusing the Register for the court happenings and would likely open a few eyes.
                  It isn't limited to FB players or athletes in general for that matter. I've seen a number of names in the court records. Never my own, fortunately.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    It isn't limited to FB players or athletes in general for that matter. I've seen a number of names in the court records. Never my own, fortunately.
                    Just be faster than the slowest guy and you should be fine.

Comment

Wait a minute EQ...I don't make fun of NDSU's problems either, but suggesting that our athletes are "getting by" with stuff, that you can catch if you read the court happenings...and comparing it to what has been happening in Fargo is just plain wrong IMO. We haven't (keep our fingers crossed, naturally) had any thefts, dwi's or drug useage charges slip by the coaches that I am aware of, and I think it is wrong to imply that they have "covered it up". I'm not saying it can't happen, we have had problems over the years...but we have been on a pretty good run.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        Wait a minute EQ...I don't make fun of NDSU's problems either, but suggesting that our athletes are "getting by" with stuff, that you can catch if you read the court happenings...and comparing it to what has been happening in Fargo is just plain wrong IMO. We haven't (keep our fingers crossed, naturally) had any thefts, dwi's or drug useage charges slip by the coaches that I am aware of, and I think it is wrong to imply that they have "covered it up". I'm not saying it can't happen, we have had problems over the years...but we have been on a pretty good run.
                        I don't think that it was ever "implied" that there is any type of cover-up. I think that the jist of the post was that no program is clean. Some are just dirtier (see NDSU) than others.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I don't think that it was ever "implied" that there is any type of cover-up. I think that the jist of the post was that no program is clean. Some are just dirtier (see NDSU) than others.
                          It would be hard to imagine that any group of 100 or more college students is never going to have any measureable legal issues involving alcohol, drugs or other illegal activity. The difference in the news coverage surrounding any such activity in Brookings and in Fargo for instance is that in Brookings there is a front and center expectation of a "clean" program. The fact that this expectation is central to the way the program at SDSU conducts itself - from the beginning of the recruiting process all the way through graduation - backed up by a period of having few legal entaglements in the program provides an environment where a single infraction may not draw as much attention.

At NDSU, the string of legal entanglements that have occurred have raised the sensitivity of everyone connected to the program to such offenses. Thus, any such offense in the program will be judged more harshely until they can demonstrate as a program a committment to cleaning it up and show a period of time in which such offenses do not occur.
                          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Sorry, but I believe it is implied when EQ says if TV checked the court news in Brookings and reported it, it would open some eyes. If there was something there on an athlete that warranted a suspension, I believe it would have happened and we WOULD have heard about it. I feel very confident that our coaches act promptly if transgressions rise to the level of those recently reported at NDSU. Otherwise, sure, I understand that underage, driving infractions, etc. at the misdemeanor level happen here as well to college students, including athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Sorry, but I believe it is implied when EQ says if TV checked the court news in Brookings and reported it, it would open some eyes. If there was something there on an athlete that warranted a suspension, I believe it would have happened and we WOULD have heard about it. I feel very confident that our coaches act promptly if transgressions rise to the level of those recently reported at NDSU. Otherwise, sure, I understand that underage, driving infractions, etc. at the misdemeanor level happen here as well to college students, including athletes.
                              It was not my intent to imply anything is being covered up. And I don't believe that SDSU's program is on the level of NDSU's as far as issues. I'm just saying it isn't as squeaky clean as some would believe.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

It was not my intent to imply anything is being covered up. And I don't believe that SDSU's program is on the level of NDSU's as far as issues. I'm just saying it isn't as squeaky clean as some would believe.
                                I dont think I can add any thing here, but I have to agree with EQ, our program is not squeaky clean. We have had our share of mis ques with S/A. None of signficance recently, but they have happened. Lets feel good about that. One of my relatives an Augie grad reminded me recently that four players left the BB program and Nagy still had problems. So I set him straight on situations. We seem to keep looking for falling stars when we judge student athletes. They are people too.

Comment

Working...
                                X