Positions of departing seniors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positions of departing seniors

I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find where. I didn't look real hard but a link or hint would be nice. Thanks!
    Most of the departing seniors played WR, LB or OL. That includes 10 of the 17 seniors. The other positions either only had 1 player play a lot at that position or they didn't play much. What position will be hurt the most?
    I think I'll go with OL. It looks like they will be really young next year. If they can run the ball that takes the pressure off the WR's. Plus, I'm hoping that there will be a WR that will be a deep threat this year. Even though it will be a young player, it's something we didn't really have last year. Of course that means that the OL will have to hold up for a while to let the WR get downfield. The LB's would probably come in 2nd. You can't take out 3 players that have played that much over so many years and not miss a beat. The advantage for the LB's is that most of the rest of the defense will be back.

Re: Positions of departing seniors

I dont know what wr would be a deep threat after losing the best 3 wrs we had and the 3 fastest. Ever pay attention to the success we had throwing the ball downfield? Pretty good when we "did", wasnt the players fault that we would run, run, pass and put the the qb and wr under more pressure: example: second half against montana

Comment

Originally posted by bunnybacker05 View Post
      I dont know what wr would be a deep threat after losing the best 3 wrs we had and the 3 fastest. Ever pay attention to the success we had throwing the ball downfield? Pretty good when we "did", wasnt the players fault that we would run, run, pass and put the the qb and wr under more pressure: example: second half against montana
      We will have the same amount of speed, if not more, this year than we had last year.

The biggest question mark is at the OL where some underclassmen are going to have to play. We will still be very good at the LB position even with the loss of Rogers, Johnson, & Jackson.

Comment

Then tell me which addition we have that will make us faster?

Comment

Then tell me which addition we have that will make us faster?
          JR Brandon Gant.
          He holds every strength and speed record for SDSU Wide Receivers since the DI transition.

SO Julian Wagner
          Converted CB who in high school qualified for the Nike Outdoor Nationals in 200-meter dash, as well as the 4x100-meter and 4x200 relays ... ran anchor leg on Class 4A state champion 4x200-meter relay in 2008.
          This year Julian ran indoor track for SDSU and set the 4th fastest time in the 60 meter dash in SDSU history.

RFR Trevor Tiefenthaler
          He ran a 49.45 400 meter & a 4.48 40 yd dash as a Junior in high school.

True Freshman Dom Wright
          Ran a 10.5 100 yd dash and a 21.5 200 yd dash as a Junior in high school. He placed second at state in the 200 in the highest class in Missouri. I'm assuming he will redshirt.

Those four players are all faster than the three seniors that left. This crop of WR will have speed guys, quick/shifty guys, and WR's with good size. The question mark is experience with only Rollin & Gant seeing extended action.

Comment

Just read on http://twitter.com/bkgsregsports that Tyrel Kool has switched to WR. So that would be another WR faster than last year's Seniors.

Comment

You sound just like everyone else who has has no clue:

1. Fox ran a 4.42 at pro day last week which is faster than every person you listed.

2. Julian Wagner and Brandon Gant were not even on the travel list to half of the games last year. There "speed" must not be that great if they cant travel and or play special teams.

3. Trevor T weighs 150 lbs and didnt run in the 4.4s all winter during testing. and Dom whatever will be redshirting.

your only argument would be tyrel Kool who is fast and has potential but still has never played receiver. Talk to me when you have a legit argument.

Comment

1. Fox ran a 4.42 at pro day last week which is faster than every person you listed.

2. Julian Wagner and Brandon Gant were not even on the travel list to half of the games last year. There "speed" must not be that great if they cant travel and or play special teams.

3. Trevor T weighs 150 lbs and didnt run in the 4.4s all winter during testing. and Dom whatever will be redshirting.

your only argument would be tyrel Kool who is fast and has potential but still has never played receiver. Talk to me when you have a legit argument.

What's your point??

Should we just not play next season, since according to you, SDSU doesn't have 1 single receiver that could take the field for a HS team??

I have to say the stats that mitchell listed outweighes any arguement you've made in your what...6 posts?? At least there's some weight to his post. All you have is...everyone doesn't have a clue. Be up-front, which player that isn't getting playing time and is pissed-off about it are you a relative or friend of???

But then again, I'm sure I'm one of the guys that doesn't have a clue...because I don't...probably because I'm not on the SDSU Football team...just like you.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

My sole point was if you would actually read from the beginning was to not discredit players on the team that will probably be better receivers (rollin, hylland) than "faster" players you are hyping and saying will be a better dimension to our offense/receiving core. If that was such a great dimension why wasnt it being used in the past?

Comment

freshman qb was part of the reason.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

1. I still stand by my original statement that the players I listed are just as fast, if not faster than Fox. But to me, there isn't really a difference between a 4.42 and a 4.48, that's still plenty fast for a FCS receiver to stretch the field.

2. Wagner was playing DB, a position that Coach Stig said he was never comfortable at and now he's moved back to offense like he played in high school. Gant was the 4th WR his freshman year but supposedly fell out of favor with the coaches because of disagreements on playing time, not because of talent.

3. Trevor is listed at 170 on the roster and how would you know what he ran in winter workouts? If you're really concerned about speed at WR, than maybe a player like Dom Wright doesn't redshirt. The coaches were close to pulling Rollin's redshirt his freshman year even though we had a stable of quality WR's.

Add Kool to that mix with other talented guys like Rollin, Hylland, Mitchell, Iverson, Schmidt, & Shonka and are WR corps are just as good as any other in the MVC.

Comment

My sole point was if you would actually read from the beginning was to not discredit players on the team that will probably be better receivers (rollin, hylland) than "faster" players you are hyping and saying will be a better dimension to our offense/receiving core. If that was such a great dimension why wasnt it being used in the past?
                        I agree that Rollin & Hylland are 2 of our better WR's, I was just pointing out that if you want a guy to "stretch the field", SDSU still will have some wide-outs with wheels. Some of these young guys are going to turn heads this year.

I also agree that the long-ball wasn't seen enough last year. I feel like TOB's best attribute was throwing a good deep ball, and that he struggled more with the 5 yard out pass that we seemed to run every passing down. (I've complained several times about that out pattern, hopefully me and Eidness are on the same page with that route or it could be another long season of me complaining)

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                          I agree that Rollin & Hylland are 2 of our better WR's, I was just pointing out that if you want a guy to "stretch the field", SDSU still will have some wide-outs with wheels. Some of these young guys are going to turn heads this year.

I also agree that the long-ball wasn't seen enough last year. I feel like TOB's best attribute was throwing a good deep ball, and that he struggled more with the 5 yard out pass that we seemed to run every passing down. (I've complained several times about that out pattern, hopefully me and Eidness are on the same page with that route or it could be another long season of me complaining)
                          I hate to bust your bubble, but Coach E made that scrimmage-line pass a predominant part of the passing offense about 10 years ago. Adolph Shepardson, Jeff Hesse, and Josh Bucholz (all big receivers) caught a LOT of those passes. I can see it being utilized a bunch with Rollin this year and TOB's strong arm. Then again, when Josh davis and chris molitor were added to the team, we made a living off of the crossing routes over the middle.(I'd be a huge fan if we went back to exploiting the under routes, but I'm not sure if TOB is ready to make those reads over the middle yet)

Comment

When I read this I get the impression this posters issue is with the coaching staff, not the players. I like the discussion he has created. Gives me info I didn't have before.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope before you starting throwing stuff around that you would get your facts straight. I believe that at one point Cole Brodie and TTiefenthaler had the fastest 40's at 4.43 seconds. Sounds like u need to get a uniform on and try and guard some of these guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X