Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Stadium-22,000 Seats

Originally posted by BudLight Jackrabbit View Post
    Hopefully someone could win the lottery and make a HUGE donation for the stadium
    Some good donation money will be spent on Power Ball that could have been donated to SDSU Foundation to build the staduim. What guarentee do we have that the winner will donate?. All of sudden, other priorities will come out of the wood work. So the lottery winners coming forward with large donations are pie in the sky. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      For the record, the stimulus act explicitly prohibited use of any of the higher education money for athletic facilities.
      Does this have to be earmarked as a higher education project? Sounds like a great revenue stream for the state and would put a lot of people to work. I'm not suggesting the entire price tag would be covered through the stimulus bill, but could get the project up and running.

Comment

Ah the lottery comment again. The lottery for the mathematically challenged! Totally agree we would be better off if people just donated to the foundation rather than throw their money away at a lottery. Never spent a dollare on the lottery and never will. Guess you can't win if you don't play.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Ah the lottery comment again. The lottery for the mathematically challenged! Totally agree we would be better off if people just donated to the foundation rather than throw their money away at a lottery. Never spent a dollare on the lottery and never will. Guess you can't win if you don't play.
          I call it the Stupidity Tax.

Usually when the jackpot gets over $100 million and I can't resist, break down, and buy a ticket.

Stupidity is expensive. Smart is cheaper in the long run.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Not trying to infringe on our alumni's privacy too much, but who are SDSU's wealthiest alumni? Is there any Billionaires in our pool? Not that they should foot the bill for the stadium, (they can if they want to) but this is more curiosity than anything.

You hear about a lot of schools that get large money donations from wealthy alumni, and I don't hear that too much at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
              Not trying to infringe on our alumni's privacy too much, but who are SDSU's wealthiest alumni? Is there any Billionaires in our pool? Not that they should foot the bill for the stadium, (they can if they want to) but this is more curiosity than anything.

You hear about a lot of schools that get large money donations from wealthy alumni, and I don't hear that too much at SDSU.

I would think that Mr. Lohr has to be up there. But, any of the weathly alumni didn't get that way by just handing out money.

This whole process is going to be a group effort. Maybe we should have Jack Rabbit walk around at every home event with a hat. Heck, I would throw a couple bucks in there every home game.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                I would think that Mr. Lohr has to be up there. But, any of the weathly alumni didn't get that way by just handing out money.
                Jerry Lohr already gives back a lot, both monetary and time wise. He is one of those who spearheaded the Jackrabbit guarantee program and continues to be one of its greatest contributors. I am very grateful for what he and others like him have done for SDSU thus far. I also welcome any future contributions.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Jerry Lohr already gives back a lot, both monetary and time wise. He is one of those who spearheaded the Jackrabbit guarantee program and continues to be one of its greatest contributors. I am very grateful for what he and others like him have done for SDSU thus far. I also welcome any future contributions.
                  Jerry is an ardent supporter of SDSU. He gives a lot of his time to promote giving to the current campital campaign. A lot of the money he gives to the university is earmarked for the Jackrabbit Guarantee program as well as the engineering department which he is a product of.

He's a great ambassador for us but don't expect to see him giving over millions to athletics. I'm not saying it can't happen but his past giving history doesn't support it.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    Jerry is an ardent supporter of SDSU. He gives a lot of his time to promote giving to the current campital campaign. A lot of the money he gives to the university is earmarked for the Jackrabbit Guarantee program as well as the engineering department which he is a product of.

He's a great ambassador for us but don't expect to see him giving over millions to athletics. I'm not saying it can't happen but his past giving history doesn't support it.
                    I can't speak for Jerry although I have spoken to him about it, but I never really gave a lot to Jackrabbit athletics before the move to DI. I have always given to the Colleges as well as Chemistry and Microbiology departments, supported a Jackrabbit guarantee, etc.. but I didn't give much to athletics. Since the move to DI and the need for greater support I have increased my giving in BOTH areas.

When Brock Greenfield and some of his colleagues in Pierre sounded an alarm stating concern that athletic fund raising would put donations to other areas in jeopardy I quickly contacted him and expressed my opinion to the contrary. He didn't really want to listen to me. Is it any wonder?

So, although Jerry has not traditionally given large sums of money to athletics he may very well do so if the opportunity seems attractive to him. It has been for me.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Speaking with friends that happen to be "wealthy" alumni from not only SDSU but other institutions it seems that blanket donations to an entire department isn't their first choice.

Actually having a master plan for where the athletic department is going is make donations to the department more attractive to them. Anyone that has had the ability to work hard and accumulate any amount of wealth like to know exactly where their donations are going and the end game they are helping to accomplish.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Some good donation money will be spent on Power Ball that could have been donated to SDSU Foundation to build the staduim. What guarentee do we have that the winner will donate?. All of sudden, other priorities will come out of the wood work. So the lottery winners coming forward with large donations are pie in the sky. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                        My guess is he was joking around...implied by the smiley face. But yes I pay the stupidity tax as one person put it. I played the numbers for so long when I was younger I can't stop now. It's dumb I know Find me a person who has no single curious/dumb habit and i'll show you a person who probably hasn't lived.
                        I do think the admin. needs to do more blatant things like: Posting the materials in front of entrances to games with a donate bucket. I'd throw $5 or $10 or $20 in everytime. People are visual, but whenever I get materials in the mail, I just put it to the side for review. Imagine $5 a person average every game($5 x4000(I imagine students would throw no money in/visitors and people that just don't give any)=$20000 x5=$100000. Do the same with Men and Women basketball $5 x 1000= $5000 x 20=$100000. Probably $250000 a year just on putting buckets and pictures up. People are impulsive...but when you want them to sign something and send it in, we think about it, we budget, etc. Also people feel more in touch with what is being built and it builds fan pride vs. "I don't know I guess some donor built it".
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          My guess is he was joking around...implied by the smiley face. But yes I pay the stupidity tax as one person put it. I played the numbers for so long when I was younger I can't stop now. It's dumb I know Find me a person who has no single curious/dumb habit and i'll show you a person who probably hasn't lived.
                          I do think the admin. needs to do more blatant things like: Posting the materials in front of entrances to games with a donate bucket. I'd throw $5 or $10 or $20 in everytime. People are visual, but whenever I get materials in the mail, I just put it to the side for review. Imagine $5 a person average every game($5 x4000(I imagine students would throw no money in/visitors and people that just don't give any)=$20000 x5=$100000. Do the same with Men and Women basketball $5 x 1000= $5000 x 20=$100000. Probably $250000 a year just on putting buckets and pictures up. People are impulsive...but when you want them to sign something and send it in, we think about it, we budget, etc. Also people feel more in touch with what is being built and it builds fan pride vs. "I don't know I guess some donor built it".
                          I too have paid the stupid tax more than once this year. In fact I won 100 bucks with Power ball but since I am giving monthly through the electronic deductions from my bank account and the total deductions are much greater than 100 dollars, I guess I could argue that I gave my winnings to SDSU. Buckets or having a small donor fund are great ideas and will help some, but not likely to do it all. Going back to Jack#1 Fan post, outlining how the new project will happen seems to be the logical approach. The key donors have to commit and that takes time and work. Jerry Lohr has also donated farm land near Clark that I believe he inherited, and would be hard to estimate his net worth.

I went to high school with an individual that lives near Tiger Woods in Florida. Out of respect of this individual, I dont want to mention his name. He was a pharmacy grad and grew up in Brookings without a father, but has been successful with a service that aids retail pharmacists. This individual I know for fact has been approached to donate for athlete scholarships since we went D1, but has given generously to SDSU for the College of Pharmacy for a number of years and he probably feels that the College of Pharmacy made him wealthy and not watching athletic events. So I think this is true with many of our wealthy alums. Now the former NFL guys should think that the football program made them wealthy but that may not be case either.

Comment

If everyone who wants to see J. Lohr contribute, would go on line and order a couple of cases of Cabernet and Chardonnay, from J. Lohr wineries they would, A) be buying great wine B) be helping increase the possibility J.Lohr is more profitable C) be real happy drinking it.

Comment

D) All of the above

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                                If everyone who wants to see J. Lohr contribute, would go on line and order a couple of cases of Cabernet and Chardonnay, from J. Lohr wineries they would, A) be buying great wine B) be helping increase the possibility J.Lohr is more profitable C) be real happy drinking it.
                                This reminds me of the Progressive commerical where the mealy mouth little guy say: But what if my mother won't let me drive, and the Progressive lady says: In that case you would not have had an accident. In response to Boxers suggestion, my question is: but what if I dont drink wine? Then what? I guess I only contribute to Jerry poverty problem and work against the building of a new staduim

Comment

Working...
                                X