Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas vs Nation

Found a post from last wednesday about Danny:

02/03/10 - Texas vs. the Nation, Tuesday: Batten has been the most impressive of the group, beating Eastern Illinois Chris Campbell - he has flashed good footwork, length and strength at left tackle this week - badly in limited one-on-one work, reading and knocking away a slant route in five-on-seven, and blowing up the fullback in the hole while playing inside linebacker. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Comment

I watched most of the first half. Neither played much in the second half that I saw. Knipps did really well in the plays I saw. The Nation squad had a DE have 2-3 sacks in the first half, but always on the other side of the line. Knipps had a undersized DE rushing him most of the time. That guy didn't ever get close that I saw. Couldn't bull rush Knipps and couldn't get the corner either. Knipps also did well on the runs I saw as well. No big hits, but good solid blocks.

I thought Batten looked like a guy who was used to playing out of a 3 point stance. I don't know why he would want to try to make a switch to LB at this point, but he looked very uncomfortable (maybe it's not his call). His strength in college was his burst and his non-stop motor as a DE. He's not that undersized as a DE. Why move him to a LB position where he is just another guy, albeit a guy who is completely out of his element? You could tell he was having a hard time reading plays which is understandable. A good first step is HUGE at linebacker. His first step on most plays was a stutter as he tried to figure out what was going on and where he was supposed to be. I know that feeling and its hard to play good football like that. I felt like it was a waste of his immense talent to have him running around at LB.

I understand the game really is not that big of talent evaluator, but if I didn't know who Batten or Knipps were, I would say Batten was the stretch and Knipps was the better of the two just from watching that game.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
        I watched most of the first half. Neither played much in the second half that I saw. Knipps did really well in the plays I saw. The Nation squad had a DE have 2-3 sacks in the first half, but always on the other side of the line. Knipps had a undersized DE rushing him most of the time. That guy didn't ever get close that I saw. Couldn't bull rush Knipps and couldn't get the corner either. Knipps also did well on the runs I saw as well. No big hits, but good solid blocks.

I thought Batten looked like a guy who was used to playing out of a 3 point stance. I don't know why he would want to try to make a switch to LB at this point, but he looked very uncomfortable (maybe it's not his call). His strength in college was his burst and his non-stop motor as a DE. He's not that undersized as a DE. Why move him to a LB position where he is just another guy, albeit a guy who is completely out of his element? You could tell he was having a hard time reading plays which is understandable. A good first step is HUGE at linebacker. His first step on most plays was a stutter as he tried to figure out what was going on and where he was supposed to be. I know that feeling and its hard to play good football like that. I felt like it was a waste of his immense talent to have him running around at LB.

I understand the game really is not that big of talent evaluator, but if I didn't know who Batten or Knipps were, I would say Batten was the stretch and Knipps was the better of the two just from watching that game.
        Because Scouts know what he is as a DE, he is undersized, but a good rusher.... If he can show scouts he can play LB he is way more valuable..... The write ups about him during practice said that he showed he isn't afraid to switch positions which coaches and teams love.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          Because Scouts know what he is as a DE, he is undersized, but a good rusher.... If he can show scouts he can play LB he is way more valuable..... The write ups about him during practice said that he showed he isn't afraid to switch positions which coaches and teams love.
          I understand the logic, but I don't understand the logic...if you know what I mean. I mean, I'm pretty sure he can run a pass route and catch a pass if asked. I'm sure if they had him line up as a TE he could play that position with reasonable ability due to his athletic ability. However, his real talent, and the area he excelled at in 4 years of college (for which he was elected Defensive Co-MVP of the MVC) was rushing the quarterback from the DE position. At that position, he was touted as a mid to low level draft pick. At LB he looked like a fish out of water. And, he's not that undersized. Just my opinion.

Then again, it's been 11 years since I last played any competitive football. My draft preparation back then consisted of buying beer, turning on the TV and waiting to see when Heiden would be drafted so I am not exactly well versed on the inner workings of the draft process. (But I know Steve didn't play QB or safety in his all-star game...just saying)
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

My draft preparation back then consisted of buying beer, turning on the TV ...
            Wow, I never knew we had the same draft preparation routine.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

At that position, he was touted as a mid to low level draft pick.
              Yes. With the expectation that he would become a linebacker in the pros.

Comment

Danny finished the game with 5 tackles.

http://www.texasvsthenation.com/asse...FinalStats.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X