Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Commits for 2010.

Originally posted by lakecojack View Post
    I would rather give a blue collar kid like Kirby or DeCurtins a scholarship than some kid from Cali or Arizona
    DeCurtins could get a scholarship to SDSU, but it shouldn't be in football. He would look good on the track team though...

There is a pretty substantial jump from SD 9-man to legitimate FCS contending football.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      DeCurtins could get a scholarship to SDSU, but it shouldn't be in football. He would look good on the track team though...

There is a pretty substantial jump from SD 9-man to legitimate FCS contending football.
      I agree totally. I think if DeCurtins gets anything from SDSU it will be for track, as he has done well in that sport and it would take a great deal of effort to make him into a Kyle Minnett. There are probably a bunch of 9 man guys who did well as a RB but it does not always translate into FCS playing time. I believe Augstana is very interested in DeCurtins as well. He might be able to do both at Augie.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I agree totally. I think if DeCurtins gets anything from SDSU it will be for track, as he has done well in that sport and it would take a great deal of effort to make him into a Kyle Minnett. There are probably a bunch of 9 man guys who did well as a RB but it does not always translate into FCS playing time. I believe Augstana is very interested in DeCurtins as well. He might be able to do both at Augie.
        He is a great athlete and I enjoyed watching him in a ton of games this year, but his body just doesn't project to be a RB or LB in college. Maybe I am way off, but he may be a tad small even for a DII Rb. I would think that the next level would see him as a FS or WR.

SDSU got the best recruit in the state. I am perfectly happy with that scenario every year.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Kemo, you keep making sense. You have extra brain food for the holidays?
          Well, on New Years day I drank a whole lot of Miller High Life and finished off a large Papa John's pizza without any help, so if that constitutes as brain food then the answer is "Yes"! Maybe my brain is currently burning off all those calories... yah, we'll go with that
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

ok first of all, blue collar kids can only get you so far.... I agree that everybody that deserves a scholarship at the D-I FCS level should be offered by SDSU.....

but you also have to remember somethings like YOU CAN'T coach speed, also I don't care if they come from Russia if they can play football and WANT to play for SDSU then I say let them.....

As far as Robbie, I know Robbie pretty well and I can tell you that he liked SDSU a lot and really wanted to go there, but at the same time can you blame him for not going to SDSU? He didn't have a scholarship their and at the same time was offered a full-ride to USD, was looking at 2 years before he even had a chance to see the field at SDSU and could possibly play next year at USD.....

I think in the average year Robbie would of been offered a scholarship but with few scholarships and LB not being a position of weakness do you blame Stig for not offering him a scholarship?

One thing with USD going D-I I thought would hurt SDSU the most is with Walk-ons.... basketball I think Louie and Tetzlaff could of very well of went to SDSU as a walk-ons if USD wouldn't of went D-I....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              ok first of all, blue collar kids can only get you so far.... I agree that everybody that deserves a scholarship at the D-I FCS level should be offered by SDSU.....

but you also have to remember somethings like YOU CAN'T coach speed, also I don't care if they come from Russia if they can play football and WANT to play for SDSU then I say let them.....

As far as Robbie, I know Robbie pretty well and I can tell you that he liked SDSU a lot and really wanted to go there, but at the same time can you blame him for not going to SDSU? He didn't have a scholarship their and at the same time was offered a full-ride to USD, was looking at 2 years before he even had a chance to see the field at SDSU and could possibly play next year at USD.....

I think in the average year Robbie would of been offered a scholarship but with few scholarships and LB not being a position of weakness do you blame Stig for not offering him a scholarship?

One thing with USD going D-I I thought would hurt SDSU the most is with Walk-ons.... basketball I think Louie and Tetzlaff could of very well of went to SDSU as a walk-ons if USD wouldn't of went D-I....
              I know nothing of Jelsma and he probably is a very good athlete. I do know however that or speculate that our coaching staff talked to the young man, reviewed his videos and gave him an honest evaluation. Not everyone can fit in everywhere. Obviously our staff has seen something more fitting on other videos and thats what they are probably pursuing this very moment. I don't want to comment nor extend the rumors that I have heard about Tetzlaff and Krogman. Both have SDSU connections in that their parents or family are alums, but neither was picked and without a doubt in my mind there were some good reasons that no coach should or will make public. Its for us to speculate and guess and draw our own conclusions about recruiting choices. Any athlete chosen is very lucky and probably has earned that choice. I have yet to see any win or loss be attributed to the recruiting of one single individual.

Right now I could not tell you the names of 1986 men's team at SDSU. This is the first year I started following after a spell of living elsewhere out of SD. My point is no matter how great the athlete, they come and go and its often a mind jogger to recall their names 20 years later.

Comment

Working...
              X