Commits for 2010.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Commits for 2010.

SDSU needs to recruit the best players they can possibly get if they want to continue their ascent in FCS football. You don't give out scholarships to kids just because they are from South Dakota. This isn't intramurals, its big boy football.

IMO we got the best player available from South Dakota and from what alot of people have been saying, the talent level in South Dakota and Northwest Iowa was down this year from in years past, which means the coaches need to expand their territory this year.

We are a top 15 team in the country, if we want to stay that way we need to stay selective in the recruiting process, not just give out scholarships to SD kids as goodwill.

Comment

Originally posted by lakecojack View Post
      I have to say that I am disappointed in coach Stig. He says that he wants to be South Dakota's team but he's not doing a very good job of bringing in our own South Dakota boys. I know our state doesn't produce the top talent compared to other states, but come on you have to keep some of your own.
      I am disappointed that we aren't getting the Jelsma kid who wanted to come here but wasn't given an offer. If we only come out of this years class with Sumner as the only SD kid I will be very disappointed. We need to get kids like DeCurtins, Tunge, Kirby to Brookings whether through schollies or walk on's. These are the type of kids that are the "blue collar" kids that this team needs.
      I would rather give a blue collar kid like Kirby or DeCurtins a scholarship than some kid from Cali or Arizona

I am not sure I agree with you, as I think Coach Stig has done a good job recruiting at the DI level. Those kids that he recruited from Arizona 4 and 5 years ago have been major contributors.

Think what happens if we don't have Batten or Rogers!
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I have to say that I am disappointed in coach Stig. He says that he wants to be South Dakota's team but he's not doing a very good job of bringing in our own South Dakota boys.
        Pretty weak post for your first one lcj, unless you've got an ax to grind. The Jacks had 15 South Dakota players on the football roster this year. We are getting the lion's share of quality South Dakota young men who can play at the FCS level. And we will always have a North Central oriented roster, but need to continue to find those quality recruits from other areas who can provide the skills to keep us as a top 15 team in FCS. We have a limited number of scholarships available, and didn't offer a scholarship to Jelsma because the coaches determined that wasn't the best use of the scholarship. No knock on him as a person, but if he preferred to get a scholarship from USD, rather than walking on at SDSU...then that's his choice. I wish him the best of luck there.

Comment

Extending offers after the football season's over, and after the kid's got his semester grades back is smart.

I haven't the patience, the time, or the inclination to track where Bohl's 2,351 commits end up by 2014, but I suspect he'll once again be dealing with clearinghouse issues, eligibility issues, and will have fewer of his incoming class make it to their senior year.

Either way both Stig & Bohl will fill their roster spots, but Stig's a sniper and Bohl's hunting geese.

And with the Dykhouse Center and the team's improvements over last couple years, I think more than a few students with interest from SDSU will put off a decision until they hear from Stig.
          Last edited by zooropa; 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I have to say that I am disappointed in coach Stig. He says that he wants to be South Dakota's team but he's not doing a very good job of bringing in our own South Dakota boys. I know our state doesn't produce the top talent compared to other states, but come on you have to keep some of your own.
            I am disappointed that we aren't getting the Jelsma kid who wanted to come here but wasn't given an offer. If we only come out of this years class with Sumner as the only SD kid I will be very disappointed. We need to get kids like DeCurtins, Tunge, Kirby to Brookings whether through schollies or walk on's. These are the type of kids that are the "blue collar" kids that this team needs.
            I would rather give a blue collar kid like Kirby or DeCurtins a scholarship than some kid from Cali or Arizona
            Welcome to the board. Don't agree, but you have a right to your opinion without getting demeaned on your first post!

Comment

I appreciate your guy's comments about my sub knowledge about recruiting and everything else that I don't know. However, in my opinion we need more in state kids.

Lets take a look at a program like Montana. They have 40 plus in-state kids on their roster. That's at least double of what we have for in state kids. Are you gonna tell me that Montana high school football is twice as good as South Dakota? I know that we are gonna lose some in state kids to USD and some to NDSU and some are gonna go to bigger schools. Montana is successful because they get the best in state and add speed and athleticism from out of state. Montana is a team whose heart comes from in state kids and its legs come from the out of state kids. Why can't we be like that. This is South Dakota State University, South Dakota comes first!!!

Comment

I don't care how many Montanans are on the Montana roster.

There are, first of all, 160,000 more people in Montana than there are in South Dakota; Between Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming there are about three million people and only three FCS institutions. That means dang few outside opportunities for Montana football players.

Furthermore, the crop of Montanans on Montana rosters will wax and wane as available talent increases and decreases, just like in South Dakota.

Not every SD kid that wants to play for SDSU will be able to play for SDSU. Playing football for SDSU is no different than attending school at SDSU. Not everybody that wants in, gets in.

Comment

I appreciate your guy's comments about my sub knowledge about recruiting and everything else that I don't know. However, in my opinion we need more in state kids.
                  I'll welcome you to the board first.

I'm not gonna slam your posts. I agree we need to look at in-state players, and I think Coach Stig is doing that. But if SDSU is going to compete, they have to look at the very best players in each position they can get, and players who match their system the best. Not saying Jelsma didn't fill this need. But if there is a stud out there that fits better, the coaches might wait. Maybe Jelsma didn't want to wait that long to find out if he had a schollie, and I don't blame him for taking the one that was offerred. Like I said earlier, we just need to wait and see what signings we have.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Lets take a look at a program like Montana. They have 40 plus in-state kids on their roster. That's at least double of what we have for in state kids. Are you gonna tell me that Montana high school football is twice as good as South Dakota? I know that we are gonna lose some in state kids to USD and some to NDSU and some are gonna go to bigger schools. Montana is successful because they get the best in state and add speed and athleticism from out of state. Montana is a team whose heart comes from in state kids and its legs come from the out of state kids. Why can't we be like that. This is South Dakota State University, South Dakota comes first!!!
                    In State kids are great to have on the roster IF they have the ability to compete at this level. Bottom line -HAVE TO WIN

Comment

I agree with all that has been posted. We don't need to take in-state kids just because they are in-state. If that were the case, we wouldn't be able to compete at the FCS level as SD has a very small FCS recruiting pool. The coaches have done a great job of recruiting in the last few years and they have to travel to other areas to secure enough players to field a competitive team. Recruiting in state players just for the sake of having more SD kids on the roster doesn't serve the purpose of maintaining a competitive program and winning football games.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think there is a misconception that a kid has to have "SD" behind the name of their home town in order to be considered a local recruit. Brookings is a town that hugs the eastern boarder of the state, so there are many local kids that may have "MN" or "IA" behind their hometown instead of "SD".

An example of this would be to look at Minett, who is from Ruthton, MN (47 miles from Brookings) , as opposed to Kjerstad, who is from Wall, SD (336 miles away from Brookings). I would consider Minett to be more of a local recruit than Kjerstad, but both are great players, and that is what is important.

We have done a good job of recruiting locally in my opinion, but the main thing is to recruit the players with the best combination of talent, intelligence, and work ethic, regardless of where they come from.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          I think there is a misconception that a kid has to have "SD" behind the name of their home town in order to be considered a local recruit. Brookings is a town that hugs the eastern boarder of the state, so there are many local kids that may have "MN" or "IA" behind their hometown instead of "SD".

An example of this would be to look at Minett, who is from Ruthton, MN (47 miles from Brookings) , as opposed to Kjerstad, who is from Wall, SD (336 miles away from Brookings). I would consider Minett to be more of a local recruit than Kjerstad, but both are regional recruits and to me, that's what's really important.

We have done a good job of recruiting locally in my opinion, but the main thing is to recruit the players with the best combination of talent, intelligence, and work ethic, regardless of where they come from.
                          Good point.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

An example of this would be to look at Minett, who is from Ruthton, MN (47 miles from Brookings) , as opposed to Kjerstad, who is from Wall, SD (336 miles away from Brookings). I would consider Minett to be more of a local recruit than Kjerstad, but both are great players, and that is what is important.

Kemo, you keep making sense. You have extra brain food for the holidays?

Comment

I realize this is just one mans opinion. But the link below states South Dakota is the worst High School Football state this year.
                              http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1018503

So we just need to keep getting a couple of the states best players like we have and keep bringing in the out of state guys that have helped get SDSU to where they are today.

Comment

Taking it one step further, I count 52 of 99 on the roster from SD and adjoining states. So what's the problem?
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X