3-4 defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-4 defense

Anybody have any thoughts on switching to a 3-4 defense? SIU's coach Dale Lennon said in a presser that he uses the 3-4 because it's easier to find linebackers at this level than it is to find big, dominant D-Lineman. I think it also helps against running QB's and if used right can be really confusing to an opponents O-Line, QB.

SDSU seems to be built perfectly for the 3-4. Next years players could be:

DE Thompson, DT Basham, DE Bowers

with back-up DE's Fischer, Wood, & Mink
    Back-up DT would be Fitzsimmons, Moala, & Douglas

A 3-4 would allow Jake Steffen to drop back and be a rush-LB which is probably his natural position, much like it would have been Batten's natural position as well.

LB's = Steffen, Tracy, Dominio, Feller
    Backups - Kool, Lien, Weiss, Shafrath

Re: 3-4 defense

I agree with your point that the team is full of guys who would thrive in a 3-4 defense, the problem is its a lot harder then just taking Steffen from the DE position and lining him up at LB.... you change all of your schemes and if you don't have the coaches that are familiar with the defense you would be putting a lot at risk.... Its one thing if you defense is struggling its another thing if your defense is one of the best in the nation....
    Last edited by joeboo22; 12-30-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

During the season, I thought quite a bit about the 3-4, especially with the way we would drop Batten & Steffen back into coverage with the zone blitz packages.

I think Lennon is right in that there are more linebackers available at this level, and big athletic defenders get full scholarship spots at the higher level.

My biggest concern, is that the 3-4 is at a disadvantage with power running games, since it lets the offensive linemen that aren't covered at the line get down field on the linebackers. The best way to combat that is to have a space eater in the middle who can hold up blockers on run downs & collapse the pocket in the middle on passing downs. That takes a very special & unique type of athlete, that I'm not sure we currently have. The other way is to have very good speed & players who react/play fast @ the LB position. I think we have some of these players, I'm not sure that we have the number that SIU has.

Since it seems most of the better teams in the MVFC run as much or more than they pass, this could be a very painful transition.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
        During the season, I thought quite a bit about the 3-4, especially with the way we would drop Batten & Steffen back into coverage with the zone blitz packages.

I think Lennon is right in that there are more linebackers available at this level, and big athletic defenders get full scholarship spots at the higher level.

My biggest concern, is that the 3-4 is at a disadvantage with power running games, since it lets the offensive linemen that aren't covered at the line get down field on the linebackers. The best way to combat that is to have a space eater in the middle who can hold up blockers on run downs & collapse the pocket in the middle on passing downs. That takes a very special & unique type of athlete, that I'm not sure we currently have. The other way is to have very good speed & players who react/play fast @ the LB position. I think we have some of these players, I'm not sure that we have the number that SIU has.

Since it seems most of the better teams in the MVFC run as much or more than they pass, this could be a very painful transition.

I'd envision 320 pound Simote Moala could eventually man that space-eat nose guard position. He's what got me thinking about the 3-4. He seems especially built for spot.

I was wondering out loud though, I realize that it would take coaches who would know how to implement it and in all reality, we return a pretty stout defense next season so I wouldn't want to fix something that isn't broken.

Comment

I don't think we would have to complete switch to a 3/4 D. We could throw it in as a different look. Our D i felt last year was most effective with its blitz packages. Drop one more back and give the offense something different to look at. We have a lot of great athletes and if the right circumstance we can utilize those players to our advantage.

Any word on hiring new coaches for those open positions? Maybe having a few more coaches will allow for more time recruiting now, but also give more time for practice and instruction.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Who is Bowers? Our defense is great, and a lot of returners are coming back. Steffen is too big to be at linebacker now. He is killing it at defensive end, and personally I don't want to get in the way of a good thing! 3-4's can be hard to prepare for due to the different number of blitz packages with them, but they can also create huge opportunities for the offense. We can maybe consider using it more, but I like the way we do things!

Comment

Originally posted by jack2007 View Post
              Who is Bowers? Our defense is great, and a lot of returners are coming back. Steffen is too big to be at linebacker now. He is killing it at defensive end, and personally I don't want to get in the way of a good thing! 3-4's can be hard to prepare for due to the different number of blitz packages with them, but they can also create huge opportunities for the offense. We can maybe consider using it more, but I like the way we do things!
              Bowers is our newest junior college recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I don't think we would have to complete switch to a 3/4 D. We could throw it in as a different look. Our D i felt last year was most effective with its blitz packages. Drop one more back and give the offense something different to look at. We have a lot of great athletes and if the right circumstance we can utilize those players to our advantage.

Any word on hiring new coaches for those open positions? Maybe having a few more coaches will allow for more time recruiting now, but also give more time for practice and instruction.
                What if any, positions have opened up?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                  What if any, positions have opened up?
                  none have openned up but i beleive they have been open for sometime. I may be mistaken. what is the full number of coaches can we have and how many do we have? I dont know the number, just know we are not fully staffed.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    none have openned up but i beleive they have been open for sometime. I may be mistaken. what is the full number of coaches can we have and how many do we have? I dont know the number, just know we are not fully staffed.
                    I am unaware of the # as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                      I am unaware of the # as well.
                      Maybe someone in the know could fill in the details of the coaching staff situation.

Comment

As long as Coach Stig is running the Jacks, I cannot imagine a scenario where he would allow the implimentation of a 3-4 defense. Just won't happen. He is a 4-3 guy true and (jackrabbit?)blue.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                        X