Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whittier and Mondol Transfer

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    though thinking about Walker Woods.... I think unless we start using multi set running backs we are going to have a problem keeping and recruiting running backs.... A talent like Tyrel Kool should be getting more then 3-4 carries a game....
    I am suprised as many running backs have stayed over the years. We did a little better job last year using packages getting Kool on the field. We need to keep using packages to get RB's the ball. Not just Minett. 2 seasons ago we had 2 bruisers that could of helped in the run game in Stefan Geisler, and Dominiquie Clare. Geisler has since transferred because they did not use him and Clare is still here who the coaches have said is more than good enough to play here. I think Clare could factor into the run game behind Kool and Minett. I think Minett, Kool, Duffy, and Clare all should get carries in a game. Other teams do it. Minett should obviously get the bulk, but mix it up. Defenses hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by jack2007 View Post
      I am suprised as many running backs have stayed over the years. We did a little better job last year using packages getting Kool on the field. We need to keep using packages to get RB's the ball. Not just Minett. 2 seasons ago we had 2 bruisers that could of helped in the run game in Stefan Geisler, and Dominiquie Clare. Geisler has since transferred because they did not use him and Clare is still here who the coaches have said is more than good enough to play here. I think Clare could factor into the run game behind Kool and Minett. I think Minett, Kool, Duffy, and Clare all should get carries in a game. Other teams do it. Minett should obviously get the bulk, but mix it up. Defenses hate it.
      Have to respectfully disagree with that.. Most running backs get stronger as the game goes on and Minett is a fine example of that. If we are going to win/lose games lets do it with our best people. If our best back needs a break then we have the backups to do it. defenses would also like to see the #2 and #3 backs in there as well, just like they would like to see the backup Quarterback playing rather than the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
        Have to respectfully disagree with that.. Most running backs get stronger as the game goes on and Minett is a fine example of that. If we are going to win/lose games lets do it with our best people. If our best back needs a break then we have the backups to do it. defenses would also like to see the #2 and #3 backs in there as well, just like they would like to see the backup Quarterback playing rather than the starter.
        I'd like to see them run backs in and out more often.... rather then just go with 3 Minett, 1 Duffy...

I agree with what you are saying but does Minett need to be in there for 70 plays if he is only going to get 20 caries?

maybe get some 2 back sets.... maybe line Kool up in the slot, I don't know but if I was a running back and seeing a talent like Tyrel Kool only getting a handful of plays a game and even less carries I'd think twice of coming....

Comment

I'd like to see them run backs in and out more often.... rather then just go with 3 Minett, 1 Duffy...

I agree with what you are saying but does Minett need to be in there for 70 plays if he is only going to get 20 caries?

maybe get some 2 back sets.... maybe line Kool up in the slot, I don't know but if I was a running back and seeing a talent like Tyrel Kool only getting a handful of plays a game and even less carries I'd think twice of coming....

Depends if the coaches want to play to win the game (I hate that phrase) or to keep people happy. Put the best on the field and let everyone compete to overtake that spot. If they can't so be it.
          Last edited by ringthebells; 12-15-2009, 08:54 PM.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I have to agree, we didnt recruit those guys just to sit on the bench. I am for competing for more playing time. However we have many quality back ups, lets show some variety and make a D keep guessing. Either way I still will trust the coaching staff.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I disagree with the running back by committee approach. A horse like Kyle needs to be allowed to hit his rhythm as opposed to a carry here and there. He (like all great running backs) is much more effective when he gets regular carries.

It's too bad that we have so many good players ahead of guys like Kool (either Kool for that manner), but just because someone is good doesn't mean they should spell someone who happens to be better at this moment in time.

And back to the original topic of the thread: I hope that Mondol doesn't transfer. Always can use an older, experienced guy to help lead a young dude along. Additionally, in his case, the academic issues (going to some school just to play one year and then footing the rest of the bill) that someone brought up earlier are very valid points.

As for Whittier, I can't blame him for wanting to leave. He is a young guy with a unique skill set and lots of talent. It would be great to keep him, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he moved on.

Comment

What I have heard, and this isn't news here, is that Mondol wants to be closer to his family. Remember that his mother died before the season. You can certainly understand that football becomes less of a priority in a situation like that.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
                  I disagree with the running back by committee approach. A horse like Kyle needs to be allowed to hit his rhythm as opposed to a carry here and there. He (like all great running backs) is much more effective when he gets regular carries.

It's too bad that we have so many good players ahead of guys like Kool (either Kool for that manner), but just because someone is good doesn't mean they should spell someone who happens to be better at this moment in time.

And back to the original topic of the thread: I hope that Mondol doesn't transfer. Always can use an older, experienced guy to help lead a young dude along. Additionally, in his case, the academic issues (going to some school just to play one year and then footing the rest of the bill) that someone brought up earlier are very valid points.

As for Whittier, I can't blame him for wanting to leave. He is a young guy with a unique skill set and lots of talent. It would be great to keep him, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he moved on.
                  I dont think that many are going for running back by commitee idea. More so lets rely on the strenght of this team. a solid line and great running backs. I am thinking and i dont think i am alone, is, lets change a few things. When you see minett back in the power I, it becomes pretty obvious whats going to happen, they stack the box but he still gets his yards. Use a few different sets with different back combinations just a few times and that keeps the D honest. send 2 wides out and a split back field and that gives the D more ground to cover, if we stack the line for an obvious run, they will have more in the box no matter how many we have to block. A little pump fake in a set like that to get the safety to bite and there you have 2 receivers in single coverage. well, atleast in my head it works like that. Id like to see more variety in each drive, When we go to duffy we dont run as much, and when we do its not effective. I am a duffy fan, but when we have situations that would be best for Minett lets use him then. There will be other times that using a different back field combo can be mroe effective IMO.

Anyway, Hope Whitter will stay, I can understand Mondal wanting to transfer if that is the case. Having another solid QB is only going to help the team.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    I dont think that many are going for running back by commitee idea. More so lets rely on the strenght of this team. a solid line and great running backs. I am thinking and i dont think i am alone, is, lets change a few things. When you see minett back in the power I, it becomes pretty obvious whats going to happen, they stack the box but he still gets his yards. Use a few different sets with different back combinations just a few times and that keeps the D honest. send 2 wides out and a split back field and that gives the D more ground to cover, if we stack the line for an obvious run, they will have more in the box no matter how many we have to block. A little pump fake in a set like that to get the safety to bite and there you have 2 receivers in single coverage. well, atleast in my head it works like that. Id like to see more variety in each drive, When we go to duffy we dont run as much, and when we do its not effective. I am a duffy fan, but when we have situations that would be best for Minett lets use him then. There will be other times that using a different back field combo can be mroe effective IMO.

Anyway, Hope Whitter will stay, I can understand Mondal wanting to transfer if that is the case. Having another solid QB is only going to help the team.
                    Less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                      Less is more.
                      In which regard?

Comment

FWIW...USF knows about the Mondol situation....we'll see what happens. Right now I'll say it's somewhere close to 50/50 with me leaning he goes west.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          In which regard?
                          The idea of rotating tons of guys in just so they can see the field. Minett is a stud and to take him off the field so we can give the defense 8,000 different looks doesn't make semse to me. Every one of those different looks takes time in practice to perfect and more things to learn and forget. Keep it simple, do it correctly everytime, and good things will happen. Let the defense adjust to you.

Comment

The idea of rotating tons of guys in just so they can see the field. Minett is a stud and to take him off the field so we can give the defense 8,000 different looks doesn't make semse to me. Every one of those different looks takes time in practice to perfect and more things to learn and forget. Keep it simple, do it correctly everytime, and good things will happen. Let the defense adjust to you.
                            Off topic, but I agree. The guys who EARN playing time get it. Look at the successful players that have gone through and how much PT they garnered versus a back up. Did Ranek ever come off the field? And yes, I put Minett in the same topic as Ranek. I've got some big ones

On topic, I don't fault these guys for transferring at all. Being closer to home after the death of a parent...I give him credit for staying as long as he did. Leaving after the coach that recruited you exited, sure, make a move somewhere else. Stuff happens and kids want out. I'd rather free up the scholarships to those that are here in heart and spirit.
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I think that with the athletes that this team has emerging the whole "simple and boring" mantra is going to start rubbing people the wrong way. It has been brought up numerous times the predictabliliy that happened with this team.

I could care less if they have 8000 looks or 12. Just do different things out of those looks. Don't rush 3 times up the middle on the goal line. Don't just run out of the wildcat.

If the defense adjusts to what you are doing...find something else "simple" and do it.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Ok, maybe I wasnt clear or if i was i will try to explain my view better. I dont remember saying 8000 different formations, maybe 3 or 4, but those 3 or 4 provide more then 1 option. That makes the D have to focus on up to 8 different options depending on how we line up. Im not saying limiting Minett, he is great. But we have Kool and Duffy are solid back ups and more good ones coming up behind them. If you think keeping it simple running a obvious run formation in the power I set is the best, fine. I say keep running Minett, but we have a young QB and young Receivers. We have a decent Oline it looks like lets use that not waste it. Run Minett 30 times agame, but let the others get a total of 15 carries. Running straight up the gut with one guy doesnt seem like the best we can do 40 + carries agame. Cut down our passing attempts. Use more for rushing, but change it up a bit.

It does take time to practice to get it right, thats why we need to get a full staff of assistants. I am sure our players are more then capable of learning a few different running formations. Split back with Minett and Duffy, Use Minett as a decoy, teams will focus on him, and let others get some yards. Use Kool on a run sweep to the side and use his speed. Pull a guard or tackle across and run some miss directions. I am not saying Minett needs to lose carries but lets diversifying the run game, it only makes him more effective IMO. why not run a few more times and eliminate a few 5 yard out slant passes.

Comment

Working...
                                X