Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ENRAGED...but cooling down now that I finished typing

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Just a few words. Where was Don Bailey today? He was our QB coach but left just before fall camp. I think that explains a great deal.
    I really don't think that explains much of anything, personally. I think the youth of TOB and other things (that I won't post in an effort to not be like the anti-Crawford people were after the SIU game) had much more to do with it than anything else. We didn't have Don Bailey for the UNI game and I didn't hear anyone asking for him, or in any other of our 8 wins.

Please fire Luke Meadows
    And, this post is just lacking intelligence. Luke Meadows is one of the best coaches this team has. Do you think that our line can block for kyle minnet to get over 100 yds in the first half becaue Meadows sucks as a coach or that his schemes suck? Come on now, give me a break.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      And, this post is just lacking intelligence. Luke Meadows is one of the best coaches this team has. Do you think that our line can block for kyle minnet to get over 100 yds in the first half becaue Meadows sucks as a coach or that his schemes suck? Come on now, give me a break.
      Agreed. Coach Meadows does an incredible job. The players will tell you that. I think we have a great group of assistant coaches, just not enough of them.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        Thank God for my 8 month old daughter, whom I watched the last 10 minutes of the game with, as I could only shake my head in disgust, instead of punching holes in the wall.
        Rowdy, I love your comment. I was about to throw my laptop through the window (I had to stream the game) as I was so befuddled with our coaching... then my 22 month old son came up smiled and gave me a big hug. After that, I was still bummed about the game, but life goes on.

My last comments on this game, then I am done with it for good: We lost that game due to our coaching staffs inability to make in game adjustments. 10 minutes in the 3rd we are trying to kill clock. Huh? When you run on 1st and 2nd down, it is pretty easy to stack the box with 8 or 9 men, then on 3rd and long they are going to blizt like mad. The one time in the 2nd half we didn't follow that model, Fox had a deep ball to the 3 yard line. The only pas play we seemed to run is a Screen pass. Maybe get your stud TE involved again.
        SIU I think had better athletes than we did, U of M had better athletes than we did, UNI might have had better athletes than we did, Montana did not have better athletes. Montana had better coaches than we did in the 2nd half Saturday. Our staff coached scared, and not to lose. You bury a team like that, make then quit, instead we gave them hope and momentum.

Our defense got scorched in the 2nd, but they were tired from being out there the majority of the 2nd half, I don't fault them for that. We might have thought about doubling #80 though.

I love Stig, but they have to do some soul searching on the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          I really don't think that explains much of anything, personally. I think the youth of TOB and other things (that I won't post in an effort to not be like the anti-Crawford people were after the SIU game) had much more to do with it than anything else. We didn't have Don Bailey for the UNI game and I didn't hear anyone asking for him, or in any other of our 8 wins.

In fairness to myself I want to point out that the quote by Thumber 76 about firing Luke Meadows is not my quote, and it belongs to some one else. I will continue to argue that Don Bailey's departure just before fall camp did have an impact. As far as the UNI game, I suppose his presence could have give us a greater margin, an what is to say he might have suggested better plays that would have gotten us more than those 3 and out series that happened in the fourth quarter against Montana. If Bailey was some kind of a pain the arse and was not getting along with the other coaches, then please PM me and we will keep it off the board. I doubt that is the case. How long will we being using TOB youth as a crutch? If according to TV Blog, Montana was once recruiting TOB, he apparently has talent, but to constantly argue that his youth causes us all are problems is getting old. There probably are goods reasons why Montana passed him up too, so there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
            SIU I think had better athletes than we did, U of M had better athletes than we did, UNI might have had better athletes than we did, Montana did not have better athletes.
            They had the best athlete though on the field in #80 Mariani, who is the sole reason Montana was able to come back (but I do agree, doubling or tripling him might have been a good idea). Best individual performance I have seen from a college football player in quite some time (maybe ever). Our secondary has played well all year, but Mariani made them look like they were in junior high, as the separation he was getting on his routes was ridiculous. Not to mention the 98 yard kick return.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
              They had the best athlete though on the field in #80 Mariani, who is the sole reason Montana was able to come back (but I do agree, doubling or tripling him might have been a good idea). Best individual performance I have seen from a college football player in quite some time (maybe ever). Our secondary has played well all year, but Mariani made them look like they were in junior high, as the separation he was getting on his routes was ridiculous. Not to mention the 98 yard kick return.
              When our offense goes 3 and out, you dont keep a guy like Mariani off the field nor do you take time of the clock with a substantial margin of lead. I am about to go to the offical site and find out how many three and outs we had in the SIU, UM and Montana games. Way too many and maybe we find a reason for not winning the games.

Comment

I agree he was the best on the field no doubt about it. I was speaking about the entire roster top to bottom. He is a great player that should get a chance at the next level.

Comment

When our offense goes 3 and out, you dont keep a guy like Mariani off the field nor do you take time of the clock with a substantial margin of lead. I am about to go to the offical site and find out how many three and outs we had in the SIU, UM and Montana games. Way too many and maybe we find a reason for not winning the games.
                  I was just trying to point out that Montana needs to erect a statue of that man outside of WA-Griz Stadium if they end up winning the championship this year, but yes, our play calling allowed him to do so. I don't want to rehash what I (and many others) have been saying about the play calling all year. I thought the first half was some of the best play calling I saw all year on offense and the second half was the worst play calling all year (defense in this one too, as the prevent defense prevented us from winning this game). My head still hurts thinking about this one, but I can only hope everyone on the team (both players and coaches) learn from this one and do everything in their power to make sure this never happens again.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

In fairness to myself I want to point out that the quote by Thumber 76 about firing Luke Meadows is not my quote, and it belongs to some one else. I will continue to argue that Don Bailey's departure just before fall camp did have an impact. As far as the UNI game, I suppose his presence could have give us a greater margin, an what is to say he might have suggested better plays that would have gotten us more than those 3 and out series that happened in the fourth quarter against Montana. If Bailey was some kind of a pain the arse and was not getting along with the other coaches, then please PM me and we will keep it off the board. I doubt that is the case. How long will we being using TOB youth as a crutch? If according to TV Blog, Montana was once recruiting TOB, he apparently has talent, but to constantly argue that his youth causes us all are problems is getting old. There probably are goods reasons why Montana passed him up too, so there you go.
                    Of course a coach leaving prior to camp is going to impact the season. The question is, would him staying have had a positive, negative, or neutral impact on the team. The answer is one that can only be answered by the coaching staff.

I think you should cut TOB some slack. I would guess he was the youngest player to see significant reps on Saturday (other than maybe special teams). Is he even 20 yet? I seem to remember someone stating that he turned 19 this season.

Arguing youth is not a crutch and it shouldn't get old if its true. And it is true that he is young. I expect to see the same trend with TOB as pretty much every player who goes through Stig's program: steady progress and improvement culminating in a Senior season to be proud of.

PS-if you want to be a fan of a program that consistently has RS Freshman come in and play like all conference or all americans, I'm not sure what school you should cheer for. Teams like Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and USC seem to get an all conference RsF once every 10 years or so.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Against SIU and the UM's, we were 12-46 on third downs, for a less than stellar 26%.

For the season, we were 65-168, or 39%.

For comparison, Montana converted 47% of their 3rd down tries this year.

Villanova converted 47%.

SIU converted 35%.

Richmond coverted 40%.

App St converted 44%.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

We all need a time out here ... we are starting to eat our young (and sometimes old!). Kick the cat, clean the garage or chop some wood, then come back in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Of course a coach leaving prior to camp is going to impact the season. The question is, would him staying have had a positive, negative, or neutral impact on the team. The answer is one that can only be answered by the coaching staff.

I think you should cut TOB some slack. I would guess he was the youngest player to see significant reps on Saturday (other than maybe special teams). Is he even 20 yet? I seem to remember someone stating that he turned 19 this season.

Arguing youth is not a crutch and it shouldn't get old if its true. And it is true that he is young. I expect to see the same trend with TOB as pretty much every player who goes through Stig's program: steady progress and improvement culminating in a Senior season to be proud of.

PS-if you want to be a fan of a program that consistently has RS Freshman come in and play like all conference or all americans, I'm not sure what school you should cheer for. Teams like Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and USC seem to get an all conference RsF once every 10 years or so.

Okay I will cut some slack for TOB, in fact the reason I took a swing at him was because Thumper 76 was implying all our problems were hanging on his youth and right to make mistakes was okay. Yes I realize he is about 5o years younger than me and I could be his grand dad which would be a real honor in my opinion.

I think we had major problems in play calling. I am sure the 3 and outs really got us in big trouble. Your later post with the percentages were helpful.

I got a PM from someone who is in the know who painted a completely different picture of what I had in my mind about Don Bailey. So I stepped in the poop here on that one and regret all my posts about his departure. The person who PM'd me seems to know what was going on and was rather specific about our departed coach. Because its gets into personnel matters I will stop at that and stop making comments about the impact of departure or shut up entirely about this guy. I dont know where our problems are but we still have some yet to be solved and that is what Coach Stig is being paid to do and he will do so.

Comment

I would suspect that the players and coaches would be shocked--SHOCKED! to find that a lot of fans are almost as upset about the last quarter and a half of the Montana game as they are.

We have smart players. We have smart coaches. I daresay that they're well aware of the flaws of this year's team--and as good as they were, they had plenty of flaws (all football teams do, really--some are better at hiding them than others).

Oh . . . this was the first 8-win SDSU team in like FOREVER (it seems). If it wasn't for the Misery in Missoula, we'd be all kinds of happy and fired up about how the team had done, and what the future holds.

Perspective, folks. It's all about perspective. Don't let 20 minutes of a nightmare overshadow the progress that this program has made.

There's work to be done, yes, by coaches to get better, and by players to get better.

The thought I keep having is that if I'm an SDSU opponent, I'm not especially looking forward to seeing Thomas O'Brien in yellow and blue for the next three years. The kid was a redshirt freshman this year, and damn near got us into the second round of the NCAA playoffs.

Perspective, folks.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Are we sure Montana passed on him ? He may have told Montana that he would rather be a Jackrabbit !

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                Are we sure Montana passed on him ? He may have told Montana that he would rather be a Jackrabbit !
                                Dont know and dont care. I have more than a life time of pis@ing matches so not about to start one with bigticket1

Comment

Working...
                                X