Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gopher thoughts

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
    Do you know if there is a video of the press conference anywhere? I heard what he said to the team after the game and am interested to see how that differentiates from what he said to the media afterwards. Based on your Denny Green quote i'm guessing he controlled himself pretty good haha.
    He was the same Stig he always is in front of the media in general (as opposed to WNAX interviews, etc.) TV's got a video link with so-so audio on his Twitter page ( http://twitter.com/terryvandrovec ). The press conference video -might- end up on the Gophersports.com website, if Minnesota does that.

Proud of the effort, disappointed by the loss is the best summary I can give you of what I saw him say.

Edit: here's a transcript kind of thing of the post game presser: http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204833625

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      He was the same Stig he always is in front of the media in general (as opposed to WNAX interviews, etc.) TV's got a video link with so-so audio on his Twitter page ( http://twitter.com/terryvandrovec ). The press conference video -might- end up on the Gophersports.com website, if Minnesota does that.

Proud of the effort, disappointed by the loss is the best summary I can give you of what I saw him say.
      Alright sounds good thank you for the link. He definitely said it right... this one hurts a lot more than a normal game does. Lots of emotional players after the game.

Comment

Yeah, I was waiting for Stig to go all Denny Green in the press conference, but he didn't
        Didn't Denny Green have a big lead in that game and then blow it? I think "letting us off the hook" implies that SDSU should have won the game. They clearly "could have" won but I don't think they "should have" won. It was a close game with missed opportunities for both teams.

Comment

I don't see USD being ranked next year.... They lose there 4 year starter at QB and lose a few key players at key spots.... at the same time I don't think that they will be a team to over look and I do think they will improve, maybe not record wise but I think overal they will be a better team then this year...

Comment

Originally posted by gopherbill View Post
            Didn't Denny Green have a big lead in that game and then blow it?
            You'd have to have seen more of Stig to appreciate the humor in that. Stig is about the last guy who would ever act like that in front of the media.

It wasn't so much about similar scenarios as it was about the contrast in styles. Bit of an inside joke for SDSU fans.

Comment

Senior DE Danny Batten
              On the defense today:
              "It wasn't good enough [to win]. We lost. At the end of the game, that's all that matters. I thought we played well, but we didn't do enough to get the victory for us. At the end of the day, that's all that matters."

I guess I thought the defense played a really good game (at least in my opinion they did). Minnesota had to kick 3 field goals in the red zone because the defense held them.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                Senior DE Danny Batten
                On the defense today:
                "It wasn't good enough [to win]. We lost. At the end of the game, that's all that matters. I thought we played well, but we didn't do enough to get the victory for us. At the end of the day, that's all that matters."

I guess I thought the defense played a really good game (at least in my opinion they did). Minnesota had to kick 3 field goals in the red zone because the defense held them.
                He is definitely being a little too hard on himself there. The entire defense took their play to the next level yesterday... it was an amazing performance.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                  He is definitely being a little too hard on himself there. The entire defense took their play to the next level yesterday... it was an amazing performance.
                  He is being too hard on himself, but that's what Batten does. He plays with a big chip on his shoulder.

If the defense plays that way next week, Western Illinois won't cross midfield.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                    If the defense plays that way next week, Western Illinois won't cross midfield.
                    With that level of defensive play, not many FCS teams would be able to cross mid-field.
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Thought all of the Gopher fans I met before, during and after the game were class act. They actually went out of their way to make us feel welcome, including pre-game tailgate, after the game at the bars, and everywhere else in town. Great bunch of people in Minneapolis. Would love to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by OtownJack View Post
                        Thought all of the Gopher fans I met before, during and after the game were class act. They actually went out of their way to make us feel welcome, including pre-game tailgate, after the game at the bars, and everywhere else in town. Great bunch of people in Minneapolis. Would love to go back.
                        Totally agree, had a great time in Minneapolis. Got a couple good natured boo's but overall very welcoming fans.

Comment

I don't think he realized what he was setting himself up for, and with >100 FCS programs, he could have found some team willing to come in '07, if he knew what was going to happen (which is what I meant by 'learned').

I think NDSU back to back was an 'easy' solution to a problem. NDSU as a Great West team had a lot more scheduling flexibility (only 4 conference games), and SDSU didn't have a fully funded team, so they would've been a non-counter. After '07, I think Maturi will make sure it never happens again.
                          Hey, fellas. First of all, helluva job yesterday. I was rooting for you guys to pull it out, but it just wasn't meant to be. Take care of business next week, which I'm sure you will do, and have fun heading to the playoffs. Some of us have to wait at least another year before we can have that experience.

To add some info about NDSU and Minnesota playing two years in a row. I believe the '07 game was on the schedule well before the '06 season had rolled around. As the gopher guy said, I also believe they had some sort of conflict with someone on their schedule late in the process for scheduling games for '06. They were really in a tough spot as almost eveyone already had a full slate of games already lined up for '06. NDSU happened to have an open date on the date they needed to fill so it all just worked out. Bohl was actually against playing the Gophers in '06 as he felt the team would benefit from one more year before taking them on. He eventually gave in, and the game was scheduled for '06 as well. I was at both games, and they were both a blast--minus the outcome of the '06 game, which we "should" have won too.

I know some people were wondering so I just wanted to put the information out there.

Again, nice job yesterday and good luck next week and beyond. We're just trying to go undefeated in November!

Comment

Originally posted by OtownJack View Post
                            Glad to hear it! Did you hit the bars on campus or head downtown like most visiting fans? We've rarely had visiting fans on campus as most would just go to the Dome and that was it.
                            Last edited by gopherbill; 11-15-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Glad to hear it! Did you hit the bars on campus or head downtown like most visiting fans? We've rarely had visiting fans on campus as most would just go to the Dome and that was it.
                              Best move for U of Minn. was to build the new stadium. I wasn't at the game, but every time I have seen it on TV, I am really impressed with it. They built a nice one.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

We actually did both. Hit the bars on campus for a few hours after the game, then the bars downtown after that. There was a large SDSU crowd at both. Had a good time chatting with the Minn. folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X