Gopher aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gopher aftermath

The only problem with that though GB is that your school had 22 more scholarships and more than likely spends almost twice per game what SDSU spends on their program in a season. After Saturday, Gopher fans should keep there comments to "we need new coaches/ad" or "blast away, we deserve it." I went with the latter after we lost to a D-III team a couple years ago.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by gopherbill View Post
      Wrong!

I STARTED the "Gopher Thoughts" thread yesterday, go read the first post! I posted lots of questions and thoughts, but few responded. You even posted in that same thread, but didn't respond to any of my questions or thoughts. If you had, I would have responded.

As for those 25 Gopher fans, if you talked smack with them, wouldn't you expect them to respond? If they didn't, I guess you might rip on them for not being "true" fans.
      You seem to be having more trouble with the win than Jacks fans are having with the loss. Please move this to smack.

Comment

My impressions from Sec 201:

I noticed in both this game and the SIU game that neither QBs go through any kind of a read. They are staring down the receivers - that is why CBs are jumping the out routes. I can understand having TOB going through a limited but if your not going to let him - he can't look at that receiver until he throws it. That is on the coaches - they need to preach at him every time the route gets jumped to look at someone else first.

The shot gun/long snaps are horrid. Both MN and SIU had snaps short hop, come in at the laces, and over the head. TOB's fumble was mainly the fault of a bad snap (he still shouldn't have lost it but still shouldn't had been in that position). Again the line coach needs to disperse some hot air right in the snappers face about it.

The bend but don't break defense worked today. The Gophers, for whatever reason, didn't beat themselves but didn't make it easy for them to win. I believe the newspaper said it was 1964 the last time the Gophers played in a game where no offense TDs were scored. SDSU proved that they can play with a DIA team. The Gophers proved that they have some work to be done.
        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by gopherbill View Post
          ... and don't know what a bowl is. You should be proud.
          6-6 FCS teams don't get a meaningless extra game at the end of the season. We have playoffs.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

is a gopher fan really trying to talk trash here? lol

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              We have an outstanding TE in Cochart, who from my memory, only had one reception on the one ball that was thrown his way.
              I think he had a drop as well.

To the question about throwing to midfield, I'm going to guess that was a decision made to reduce chance of turnovers and batted balls.

I don't think the coaches wanted TOB throwing the ball just over the helmets of the front seven in his 4th career start (assuming you're sending Cochart on 5-10 yard routes). Not in a close game.

I think the offensive strategy is the same as it's been all season. Don't undo the defense's hard work with bad passes. Shoot. Ryan Berry had more INTs in two games (SIU & Iowa State, IIRC) than Crawford & TOB have had all season.

They got away with that, kind of (7-5), last year because SDSU had a veteran QB/WR combo that could put points on the board. They don't have that this year, hence the ultraconservative play calling.

Furthermore, I think Stig & co. deserve credit for being adaptable and flexible enough to call a very different game when the talent requires it. As good as TOB may become, he's not there yet, and I think the first half yesterday illustrated that.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                6-6 FCS teams don't get a meaningless extra game at the end of the season. We have playoffs.
                Rep points on that one! At least we'll have a national title to play for. What will the Gophers play for, a bunch of pocket protectors?
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  I think he had a drop as well.
                  The drop ball was in the end zone but it was thrown into double coverage.

You know, I was just thinking (I know, what's the occasion). Watching the Colts-Patriots game, I really question why running backs and wide receivers can stiff-arm to the face mask. Everyone else is penalized for it. Sometimes they grab the face mask and use it to force people out of the way. Seems like a double standard if every other position can't do it, but those 2 positions can.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                    The drop ball was in the end zone but it was thrown into double coverage.

You know, I was just thinking (I know, what's the occasion). Watching the Colts-Patriots game, I really question why running backs and wide receivers can stiff-arm to the face mask. Everyone else is penalized for it. Sometimes they grab the face mask and use it to force people out of the way. Seems like a double standard if every other position can't do it, but those 2 positions can.
                    I don't think it's legal, but I also think it's hard to see on the field in real time.

On the random musings side of things, buddy of mine who was at the game said Minn. was offside when they got the fumble return TD.

Comment

I don't think it's legal, but I also think it's hard to see on the field in real time.
                      Just trying to say "the drop" was touched by 3 people so I wouldn't call it a drop by Cochart.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Just trying to say "the drop" was touched by 3 people so I wouldn't call it a drop by Cochart.
                        I was talking about the difference between a face mask & a stiff arm.

Comment

I really question why running backs and wide receivers can stiff-arm to the face mask. Everyone else is penalized for it. Sometimes they grab the face mask and use it to force people out of the way. Seems like a double standard if every other position can't do it, but those 2 positions can.
                          Rarely does the offensive player actually grab the face mask when stiff arming. Rarely does the defensive player not twist the helmet when they have the face mask (not necessarily on purpose but by reaction). The offensive player would actually harm their progress if they grabbed and twisted the face mask instead of just pushing the defender out of the way.
                          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I was talking about the difference between a face mask & a stiff arm.
                            Ahhh, my bad.

Comment

Some solid tidbits & quotes from the Gopher aftermath on Terry's blog bost today. Remember to hit the "recommend" button when you get to the blog site.

Here goes with more from South Dakota State's 16-13 loss at Minnesota on Saturday:

Although he downplayed the idea of being nervous or emotional on such a big stage, SDSU quarterback Thomas O'Brien complained about the ball being slick - he said that contributed to his first interception. It had nothing to do with the second. "I guess I underestimated how fast they were," O'Brien said.

Jacks junior linebacker Derek Domino, a Minnesota native, scored the team's only touchdown. It was the third interception return for a touchdown in his career and the second this season. "It was great, really felt good," he said. "Would have been better to get that victory, though."

An injury update: RB/KR/DB Tyrel Kool suffered what coach John Stiegelmeier termed a minor knee injury that could be upgraded to more serious. Also, DL Brian Fisher has a knee injury that, although not as serious as first feared, may be a sprain along the lines of what DE Jake Steffen had earlier this season.

The Jacks hope that their strong showing will help with recruiting in the state of Minnesota. No prep players in the Land of 10,000 Lakes currently have scholarship offers on the table from the program.

Although SDSU largely enjoyed its visit to shiny TCF Bank Stadium, the experience was not all that it could have been. "What we want to do was have it silent at the end," Stiegelmeier said. "That would have been the best memory of the experience." On a related note, members of the Twin Cities media were almost astounded by the personable coach - he's the polar opposite of Gophers coach Tim Brewster, a renowned huckster.

(read more)

Comment

As a defensive player I have been bitching about this for years. I also think it is crap that all facemask calls are now 15 yarders. There use to be an incidental facemask that was only a 5 yard penalty (which was crap in its own right).

Comment

Working...
                                X