Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your hopes for the Gophers game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your hopes for the Gophers game?

Superbunny "pick up that guitar and talk to me" thanks for the compliment.
    everyone else, no thanks for the comparison to the person that you mention. the 6 ndsu players in nfl now (8 were there at beginning of year) joe mays, craig dahl, ramon humber all dress and play alot, nick schommer and heckendorf are on practice squads and tyler roehl is under 2 year contract with seattle (on IR) does that help? sorry for rufflin feathers, or errr fur?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      The point is, Brewster didn't guarantee a win. He guaranteed that his team would play well. He talks too much, but in that instance, people (including you) unfairly characterized his statement as guaranteeing a win. Barreiro has played that statement about 500 times this week, mocking Brewster for saying such a thing before playing SDSU. I think that's unfair.

What's not unfair is comparing him to Jim Wacker, a guy who talked a big game but whose coaching chops didn't nearly match his mouth. I'm certainly not the first person to make that analogy, or the 100th, or the 1,000th. I think a lot of Gopher fans (and as an Iowa Ph.D., I follow the Big Ten closely) have had it with his special combination of bravado and bad coaching.
      Bad coaching? I question Brew at times, but I am not ready to say he is a "bad" coach. He inherited a tough situation.

I respect KF at Iowa a lot.

Through his first 3 years KF was 11-24 at Iowa. Brew is not quite finished with his third but he is 13-22 so far.

It takes time to rebuild.

Also, Iowa and MN are tied nationally for the most wins (4) in games they entered trailing in the 4th quarter.

Interesting stat when you compare the schedules (MN was tougher I think) and that one team had NC hopes, and one team is a Big Ten punch line for some fans. I think they are a few plays apart in their record.

While I wish the Gophers had Iowa's record, I also do like being tied with them for gutsy come from behind victories. I think thats a sign of coaching dont you?

We need to be more consistent, and certainly the first half against Illinois fell on the coaches, but players need to execute and we need stability amongst staff before we can make a final grade on brew I think. You remember science, you only want one independent variable. Too many other factors right now.

Comment

Originally posted by thestl View Post
        Firstly, don't ever compare private universities with public universities
        Why not? Money's money.
        Secondly, your comment on the U not getting their "money's worth out of their athletic dollar" is total ludicris. Both their volleyball and men's basketball teams are ranked nationally. Their women's hockey team is currently ranked third nationally, while their men's hockey team has the most NHL draft picks out of any university in the country. Their baseball team made it to the NCAA tournament last year, and their wrestling team is what one would call, a power house.

Just because their football program is sub-par, DON'T JUDGE the entire athletics program based off of that. Respectfully, I hope you see my point accordingly.
        Lesseee, men's basketball program on the verge of another meltdown/implosion (three of fourteen players suspended), football program continues its sadsack ways, and you're left with what? One decent team in a revenue sport (men's hockey)?

There are no end of major college programs that are doing more with a comparable, or even a lower athletic budget than the U of M.

Comment

Anyone going to the football game tomorrow? I was thinking of bringing some pie. Any particular requests?
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
            Win = Huge
            Stay within two scores = content with the showing
            Lose by, 17+ = disappointing
            Out of it by halftime like ISU '08 and SIU '09 = unacceptable
            Agree, the goal to win but there are different levels of how you can feel about the outcome.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Why not? Money's money.

Lesseee, men's basketball program on the verge of another meltdown/implosion (three of fourteen players suspended), football program continues its sadsack ways, and you're left with what? One decent team in a revenue sport (men's hockey)?

There are no end of major college programs that are doing more with a comparable, or even a lower athletic budget than the U of M.
              No one is imploding (including our top 25 ranked mens hoops team)

As far as doing something? Here is a ranking of the of all major college athletic departments as determined by athletic success across ALL SPORTS. This is called the Sears Cup. Its a big deal for Division 1 AD's, and how the AD's and their programs use this as the metric on how to compare overall success to each other. I also added revenues as reported last year (a proxy for AD budgets).

1 Stanford not reported
              2 North Carolina $54 mil
              3 Florida $77 mil
              4 Southern California not reported
              5 Michigan $74 mil
              6 Texas $89 mil
              7 California $43 mil
              8 Virginia $63 mil
              9 Louisiana State U. $60 mil
              10 Ohio State $89 mil
              11 Washington $43 mil
              12 Arizona State $42 mil
              13 Texas A&M $64 mil
              14 Minnesota $53 mil
              15 Florida State $56 mil
              16 UCLA $46 mil
              17 Duke (N.C.) not reported
              18 Georgia $68 mil
              19 Penn State not reported
              20 Illinois $48 mil
              21 Notre Dame not reported
              22 Oregon $39 mil
              23 Tennessee $71 mil
              24 Arizona $39 mil
              25 Arkansas $47 mil

Minnesota has been in the top 25 for the past 5 years.
              Last edited by stpaulgoph; 11-13-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                Why not? Money's money.

It sounds like you're defensive, so I'll leave it at that, because no disagreement can be fully resolved when one side is defensive, especially on the internet. But just remember, I have pointed out the facts to you.

Comment

Originally posted by stpaulgoph View Post
                  No one is imploding (including our top 25 ranked mens hoops team)

As far as doing something? Here is a ranking of the of all major college athletic departments as determined by success

1Stanford14552North Carolina1184.253Florida1172.754Southern California1137.755Michigan1131.86Texas1105.57California10728Virginia10599Louisiana State U.102910Ohio State1015.811Washington1010.2512Arizona State1001.7513Texas A&M97614Minnesota975.7515Florida State94516UCLA909.2517Duke (N.C.)891.818Georgia866.519Penn State813.120Illinois808.7521Notre Dame775.1322Oregon757.2523Tennessee746.2524Arizona738.525Arkansas730

Minnesota has been in the top 25 for the past 5 years.
                  Thanks stpaulgoph for finding those. I have been looking everywhere for them, but couldn't come up with the site. Hopefully this will end this discussion once and for all

Comment

Back to the game. We don't do a very good job of stopping teams on 3rd or 4th down. The Gophers are going to take full advantage of that. That means more time for our defense on the field, less time for our offense to have the ball and better field position for the Gophers. Look at the stats and you'll see big problems for our defense on big downs. That said, we have done a good job inside our own 30 and that has kept us in games.

If the Gophers perform in the red zone we'll be in big trouble. We can't fall behind early and become one dimensional. Minett and Co. need to carry the ball 30-40 times even if the average is only 3 yards a carry. Falling behind on the scoreboard makes that tough to do. Our special teams will have to be the best they have all year and we'll have to win the turnover game to have a chance. Even with all those factors in our favor the Gophers will still likely find a way to win this game.

Regardless, I hope we win.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree that we don't get enough stops on third down.Lack of focus? Looks good for 2 of the 3 downs, but we have to find a way where we make them go 3 & out more often if we want to have a realistic chance to pull off the upset win.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        What do you want? Do you want him to guarantee a win? That would be dumb, and totally out-of-character for him. He isn't a loud-mouthed blabberlike Tim "Jim Wacker" Brewster. That said, I think your coach was unfairly ripped for guaranteeing a good performance. That's about all a coach can do without sounding like a moron.
                        Did you even read the post I was responding to? CatchEmAll said the Jacks should EXPECT to win. I simply pointed out that is an unrealistic expectation, and that locker room speeches are often different from reality because they're for motivation. All teams do the same thing, Minnesota included.

Why are you taking it so personally and feel the need to lash out with name calling? I haver said nothing bad about SDSU or your coach.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I don't think anybody is on the take or running an inside game here, but I wouldn't put anything past the U of Minn given the apparent lack of character in recent recruits. That is, unless, Brewster or one of his players has big money on the Jackrabbits then we might see a closer game and a cover.
                          This belongs in the garbage with jackmd, no class at all.

Comment

Originally posted by gopherbill View Post
                            This belongs in the garbage with jackmd, no class at all.
                            Trying to have a little fun with you Gopher fans, I guess I hit on a sensitive note kind of like you did with some of our other forum members. Why do you take it so personally?
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Trying to have a little fun with you Gopher fans, I guess I hit on a sensitive note kind of like you did with some of our other forum members. Why do you take it so personally?
                              I read it with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, but I just did get my sarcasm detector tuned up recently.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Not personal, just classless on your part. I'm all for sarcasm, but if I had posted anything close to that it would have been BAN time for me and rightly so.

Comment

Working...
                                X