11/11 Playoff Predictions From CS.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 11/11 Playoff Predictions From CS.com

Article from Terry in the Argus today about our playoff chances. Remember to hit the "recommend" button when you get to the Argus site!

Playoff hopes alive for Jacks
    Loss to Gophers not halting SDSU goals
    Terry Vandrovec - November 16, 2009

MINNEAPOLIS - There's no question that a win at Minnesota on Saturday would have helped South Dakota State in its playoff pursuit. But what will a 16-13 defeat do for - or to - the Jackrabbits in the penultimate Football Championship Subdivision rankings?

Heading into the contest, SDSU was ranked 12th in the media and coaches polls and No. 9 in Gridiron Power Index, the three ratings that the playoff selection committee takes into account. The updated standings will come out today.

The Jacks (7-3) dropped five spots to No. 90 in the Sagarin Ratings, a system that incorporates all 245 Division I programs.

"I hope it helps, but I don't know," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. The details of the game "don't go on the ticker. It's a 16-13 loss to Minnesota. We need to take care of business next week and if we do that, it'll clear up."

SDSU closes the regular-season this week at Western Illinois (1-9). A win would be the eighth of the season over NCAA Division I foes, and no Missouri Valley Football Conference team to reach that threshold has ever been left out of the postseason.
    Still, things could get interesting on Selection Sunday as both SDSU and UNI could finish with eight wins, while top-ranked Southern Illinois has an automatic berth. UNI is one spot ahead of the Jacks in the coaches poll, media poll and GPI despite losing the head-to-head meeting 24-14.

Only twice in its 25-year history has the Valley gotten more than two teams into the playoffs

(read more)

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
      UNI will bid large to host the game. I really doubt we will see UNI being sent on the road.
      Oh, I think we'll be on the road for all three. May have a first rounder at home. Just thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        You think they would send Auto-bid SFA to Montana before at large UNI, McNeese State or SDSU?
        Once the top teams are seeded you can throw records out the window, it is all about $$$ and geography.

One year they sent 8-3 Furman to 7-4 Montana State(last team in the playoffs). Montana State even had a loss to a DII school that year but none of it mattered because they bid so much.

Comment

Anybody have good inside information on what the Jacks bid? I thought I read the bids had to be in the Friday before Southern Illinois. So did they bid just the minimum as that is all they had to bid if they were going to be one of the top 4 seeds? Which they probably would have been the 4 seed, IMO, if they would have beaten SIU. Or did they bid on a certain attendance number and bid to break even in hopes this would be enough?

Sell was likely very valuable in the bid and his past knowledge at UNI and their playoff history.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Once the top teams are seeded you can throw records out the window, it is all about $$$ and geography.

One year they sent 8-3 Furman to 7-4 Montana State(last team in the playoffs). Montana State even had a loss to a DII school that year but none of it mattered because they bid so much.

To be fair, the week before the Bobcats dumped Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by Benne View Post
              To be fair, the week before the Bobcats dumped Colorado.
              True, but my point is that the sent a Furman team that had a better resume/higher ranking to Montana State because of $$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                True, but my point is that the sent a Furman team that had a better resume/higher ranking to Montana State because of $$$$.
                I agree. Also, the homefield advantage worked in Montana State's favor. They smoked them.

Comment

Let me take a stab at it.. Now I know they don't label the brackets directionally, but I did to show how they will try to keep it regionalized.

East Bracket

NE region
                  Holy Cross (AQ Patriot) @ #1 Villanova (AQ CAA)
                  UNH @ McNeese St

SE region
                  SCSU (AQ MEAC) @ App St (AQ SoCon) - 229 Miles
                  Elon @ #4 Richmond - 196 Miles

West Bracket

MW region
                  EIU (AQ OVC) @ #2 SIU (AQ MVFC) - 161 Miles
                  William & Mary @ UNI

NW region
                  Eastern Washington @ SFA (AQ SLC)
                  SDSU @ #3 Montana (AQ BSC)

Other options
                  IF W&M beat Richmond this weekend then switch them and add 37 miles
                  #4 could be App or Rich/W&M
                  Could switch UNI and SFA as the odd man out in the west region
                  Would like to switch SDSU and SFA but SDSU is closest to Montana

I used the map on page 19 as a template
                  and
                  1. The teams awarded the top four seeds are placed in the appropriate positions in the bracket (Nos. 1 and 4 in the upper half, and Nos. 2 and 3 in the lower half), and will be paired with teams that are in closest geographic proximity; (UNH and HC should really play each other at only 98 miles apart but HC is closet to Nova at 278 miles)
                  2. The remaining teams will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the four pairings previously placed in the bracket.
                  3. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games;

Mileage according to the NCAA Mileage Calculator
                  Bids are only used AFTER the field is set to determine host of unseeded games.
                  There, my Geography degree was used...
                  Go State! Go State!

Comment

Working...
                  X