Starting QB vs. Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting QB vs. Minnesota

With all the chaos going on with the QB, I honestly don't think the Jacks have a good chance at all in this game. If TOB would have continued to be the starter they would have had a better chance. Flip-flopping has been a poor choice.

The Gopher's weakness I feel is their defense. They're giving up 27 ppg, granted against FBS foes. The Jacks offense this week is going to have to be in full sync to have a shot. Switching up quarterbacks again affects that gelling of the offense.

The Gopher's offense is their strength. They've even scored quite a few points without Decker. They struggled against Penn State and Ohio State on offense, but consider the opponents. They are going to score a minimum 24 points unless they turn the ball over, which for how much they like to throw the ball is a possibility.

So can the Jacks offense score over 24 points against a Big Ten team with the quarterback chaos? Probably not. My opinion, I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      With all the chaos going on with the QB, I honestly don't think the Jacks have a good chance at all in this game. If TOB would have continued to be the starter they would have had a better chance. Flip-flopping has been a poor choice.

The Gopher's weakness I feel is their defense. They're giving up 27 ppg, granted against FBS foes. The Jacks offense this week is going to have to be in full sync to have a shot. Switching up quarterbacks again affects that gelling of the offense.

The Gopher's offense is their strength. They've even scored quite a few points without Decker. They struggled against Penn State and Ohio State on offense, but consider the opponents. They are going to score a minimum 24 points unless they turn the ball over, which for how much they like to throw the ball is a possibility.

So can the Jacks offense score over 24 points against a Big Ten team with the quarterback chaos? Probably not. My opinion, I hope I'm wrong.
      Interesting take. As a gopher fan I would flip that assessment. Our offense (consistency) is our biggest weakness by far. We have more issues at QB play than you do I imagine.

Sure our defense has had issues (like 3rd down) but consider how many brutal positions they have been in (short fields) and how much time they have spent on the field (Gophers are 107th in time of posession) they have really kept us in many games.

Penn State and OSU for example were 10-0, and 7-0 respectively, at the half. The offense, particularly our QB, has been so inconsistent, not even bad games, but just a good half bad half, that it doesnt give the team a chance.

Last weekends upset to Illinois falls squarely on our QB/offense, throwing a pick six, and leading three and outs, as well as our special teams (for a 10 yard punt from our own 15, and kick offs out of bounds).

Offense didnt give our team a chance. Teams need a balance their. When the offense got their head out of their butts--wow look at the what teh defense did. Illinois scored 28 by half, and only 7 after the break (when the offense finally did its part).

Anyways thats this Gopher fans take.

Comment

Your best hope is to get into third and long situations. The Gophers have a knack for allowing opponents to convert on third and long. I don't know what Gophers team will show up: the Gophers of the first half against Illinois, which could only manage one score on offense, and gave up another on a pick 6, the defense which gave up 3 first half TDs? Or will it be the defense that gave up one TD in the second half, the offense that scored 18 second half points?

Comment

I have seen a lot of Weber and I will take Thomas O'Brien and the upside he brings any day over Weber. I think Gopher fans will be amazed at the poise and gun for an arm this young man from Winona possesses.

Comment

Originally posted by stpaulgoph View Post
            Interesting take. As a gopher fan I would flip that assessment. Our offense (consistency) is our biggest weakness by far. We have more issues at QB play than you do I imagine.

Sure our defense has had issues (like 3rd down) but consider how many brutal positions they have been in (short fields) and how much time they have spent on the field (Gophers are 107th in time of posession) they have really kept us in many games.

Penn State and OSU for example were 10-0, and 7-0 respectively, at the half. The offense, particularly our QB, has been so inconsistent, not even bad games, but just a good half bad half, that it doesnt give the team a chance.

Last weekends upset to Illinois falls squarely on our QB/offense, throwing a pick six, and leading three and outs, as well as our special teams (for a 10 yard punt from our own 15, and kick offs out of bounds).

Offense didnt give our team a chance. Teams need a balance their. When the offense got their head out of their butts--wow look at the what teh defense did. Illinois scored 28 by half, and only 7 after the break (when the offense finally did its part).

Anyways thats this Gopher fans take.
            Points taken. You know more than just a casual fan no doubt. The games I've seen were Cal, Wisconsin, Purdue and Mich. St. All of which, except Purdue who I think scored a bunch right out of the gate and then fell over, scored at will it seemed. However, the Gophers scored a bunch in those games too.

I do agree Weber is wildly inconsistent, he'll throw ill-advised balls but then he'll lead some great drive(s) to get the team back in the game.

Gophers better bet against the Jacks is Gray. He'd run for 150 yards. Like I mentioned in the previous post, if Weber wants to throw 35+ times, turnovers are likely. Jacks best chance to win are turnovers and poor special teams, which you say can be marginal.

Comment

Gray has had a problem holding onto the ball. He hasn't played a lot at QB, but he did fumble against Air Force and against Illinois. He may not be quite ready yet, but his running ability does add another dimension to the team. Weber ran a lot in 2007, they got away from that in 2008, and the offense was less productive.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                Points taken. You know more than just a casual fan no doubt. The games I've seen were Cal, Wisconsin, Purdue and Mich. St. All of which, except Purdue who I think scored a bunch right out of the gate and then fell over, scored at will it seemed. However, the Gophers scored a bunch in those games too.

I do agree Weber is wildly inconsistent, he'll throw ill-advised balls but then he'll lead some great drive(s) to get the team back in the game.

Gophers better bet against the Jacks is Gray. He'd run for 150 yards. Like I mentioned in the previous post, if Weber wants to throw 35+ times, turnovers are likely. Jacks best chance to win are turnovers and poor special teams, which you say can be marginal.
                Special teams have actually been strong all year, but were poor all around against the Illini and it definitely hurt. We were top 25 in KO coverage (before MSU took one back) and still are in punting and punt coverage. One of the better returners in the Big Ten in Stoudermire

The frustrating thing about Weber for Gopher fans is that its all mental. He has talent, size, arm strength, etc. He just cant hit wide open guys, throws into triple coverage, doesnt make right check downs, and CANT THROW THE DAMN BALL AWAY. Mental mistakes always hurt me the most. If a guy is bigger or faster or makes a killer move and you get beat, you get beat. Just dont beat yourself

If the Gophers come out winners on Saturday, expect a huge day from Kevin Whaley. He will be the fastest player on the field for either team, and he is ready to go off.

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX1 View Post
                  Your best hope is to get into third and long situations. The Gophers have a knack for allowing opponents to convert on third and long. I don't know what Gophers team will show up: the Gophers of the first half against Illinois, which could only manage one score on offense, and gave up another on a pick 6, the defense which gave up 3 first half TDs? Or will it be the defense that gave up one TD in the second half, the offense that scored 18 second half points?
                  actually, the gophers scored 25 second half points. could have been 28, but they failed to punch it in from the 2 yard line and had to settle for a FG on one drive. they scored 7 points in the first half.

they allowed 28 points in the first half (aided by poor special teams play (kicker had a very bad day) and a pick 6 by weber). allowed 7 points in the second half.

final score was 35-32

Comment

he had it right...the gophers blocked a punt for a TD

Comment

Well, I think starting TOB seems the best move for Satuday. And, if we win, he's got to be the man the rest of the year. Unless we win 3-0 or 5-3 or something crazy like that. Frankly, though, I think a W at Minnesota is a long shot. And unless TOB struggles horribly Saturday, I think he should be the guy the rest of the way. That being said, though, I think Crawford has gotten a raw deal from some fans. And the students, especially, chanting for TOB...that had to be a kick in the shorts to a senior. Not that I have tons of room to speak...I certainly said some things at the SIU game that were far from flattering about how we played. These things happen when passions run high. But I did feel bad for Ryan C.
                      Last edited by JackFan96; 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                        Well, I think starting TOB seems the best move for Satuday. And, if we win, he's got to be the man the rest of the year. Unless we in 3-0 or 5-3 or something crazy like that. Frankly, though, I think a W at Minnesota is a long shot. And unless TOB struggles horribly Saturday, I think he should be the guy the rest of the way. That being said, though, I think Crawford has gotten a raw deal from some fans. And the students, especially, chanting for TOB...that had to be a kick in the shorts to a senior. Not that I have tons of room to speak...I certainly said some things at the SIU game that were far from flattering about how we played. These things happen when passions run high. But I did feel bad for Ryan C.
                        I agree completely, however our student section has never been about feelings.

Comment

Student sections tend to bring passion and noise and not a lot of thoughtful response. Nice to see ours showing up in recent years.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX1 View Post
                            Your best hope is to get into third and long situations.
                            Based on results, I like our chances at third and five or more than I do at third and one, or less.
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                              Based on results, I like our chances at third and five or more than I do at third and one, or less.
                              Exactly. Was wondering with the lack of success in short yardage situations, why not keep the playbook open and keep them guessing. Isn't 30% is better than 10%?

Comment

Working...
                              X