X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what is wrong with everyone?

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Simple:

SIU thumps SDSU leading to conclusion that meager salaries & staff size impact competitiveness with 'elite' teams.

What, then is the conclusion to be drawn from the victory over UNI?

UNI has a pedigree and budget that are practically identical to SIU.

If staff size & salary were a meaningful indicator, the UNI game wouldn't have been close either--let alone a victory.

It would be as much a mistake to say, after the UNI victory, that budget and staff -don't matter-, as it would be to say, after the SIU loss, that budget and staff -do matter-.

There is nothing easier than trying to solve problems with money, but if you don't know how to spend it, well, you're the Baltimore Orioles, I guess.
    Or the Washington Redskins
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      Simple:

SIU thumps SDSU leading to conclusion that meager salaries & staff size impact competitiveness with 'elite' teams.

What, then is the conclusion to be drawn from the victory over UNI?

UNI has a pedigree and budget that are practically identical to SIU.

If staff size & salary were a meaningful indicator, the UNI game wouldn't have been close either--let alone a victory.

It would be as much a mistake to say, after the UNI victory, that budget and staff -don't matter-, as it would be to say, after the SIU loss, that budget and staff -do matter-.

There is nothing easier than trying to solve problems with money, but if you don't know how to spend it, well, you're the Baltimore Orioles, I guess.
      Thanks I get your point. I not going to think too much nor post too much about last week's game. Its in the books. We can not deny though that are football staff has two vacancies and no one has resigned or left for another job.

Comment

After watching the game on TV, and seeing the press game confrence, I wanted to be mad at SIU but I couldnt. They were focused, determined and confident, something we were none of. I think that is part of the players understanding the moment and having the intensity to play hard. Also I think its the coaching staff having to execute and make play calls that give the team the best chance to win.

They looked like they did not even have to work hard to beat us, it was almost to easy. they made plays we didn't. simple as that.

I think what its going to take is Stig to get mad, and ticked as about this as much as he can, his aww schucks atitude wont get the team going. After the last loss we had to NDSU Stig said he was tired and mad about losing to them, he didnt care for the moral victory, he wanted the win. same thing after playing UNI close, but he seems to friendly fto SIU but his friendship with lennon might have something to do with not being able to get mad about it too much.

What Im saying is, SIU looked, played and talked like they deserve to be the best.
        sdsu looked like rookies going against an allstar line up. i would'nt trade our coaches, players or stadium for anyone, but we need that swagger and toughness that we can win and play up to that level. I know we are close to breaking through and we our only in our second year in the confrence. A little more toughness better execution.

Like the saying goes after this game if you ask the coach, how do you feel about the execution of your team....coach says, Im all for it.

Going forward, I will stick with the coaching staff and who they pick along with the play calling.

As fans, we should be disapointed in ourselves. Why should we talk about a 18k seat stadium if we cant get even season AVG crowd for the most important game of the year and school history. the crowd from the start was waiting for the team to get them going yet the team seemed waiting for something esle. They sure did not have the fire in them they had for NDSU and UNI.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          After watching the game on TV, and seeing the press game confrence, I wanted to be mad at SIU but I couldnt. They were focused, determined and confident, something we were none of. I think that is part of the players understanding the moment and having the intensity to play hard. Also I think its the coaching staff having to execute and make play calls that give the team the best chance to win.

They looked like they did not even have to work hard to beat us, it was almost to easy. they made plays we didn't. simple as that.

I think what its going to take is Stig to get mad, and ticked as about this as much as he can, his aww schucks atitude wont get the team going. After the last loss we had to NDSU Stig said he was tired and mad about losing to them, he didnt care for the moral victory, he wanted the win. same thing after playing UNI close, but he seems to friendly fto SIU but his friendship with lennon might have something to do with not being able to get mad about it too much.

What Im saying is, SIU looked, played and talked like they deserve to be the best.
          sdsu looked like rookies going against an allstar line up. i would'nt trade our coaches, players or stadium for anyone, but we need that swagger and toughness that we can win and play up to that level. I know we are close to breaking through and we our only in our second year in the confrence. A little more toughness better execution.

Like the saying goes after this game if you ask the coach, how do you feel about the execution of your team....coach says, Im all for it.

Going forward, I will stick with the coaching staff and who they pick along with the play calling.

As fans, we should be disapointed in ourselves. Why should we talk about a 18k seat stadium if we cant get even season AVG crowd for the most important game of the year and school history. the crowd from the start was waiting for the team to get them going yet the team seemed waiting for something esle. They sure did not have the fire in them they had for NDSU and UNI.
          SIU had more great players. It's as simple as that. They're the #1 team in the country and I don't think anyone who saw them would bet against them in the playoffs. Sometimes, the other team is better. The talent on our team gets better every year, but we're not quite at SIU's level yet, at least not the level of this #1 SIU team.

I would disagree strongly with your characterization of Stig. If you know him, you know he does get mad when his team doesn't play well. He wants to win as much as anybody, and he'll do what he has to to motivate his team. What he won't do is give up the even-keel, one-play-at-a-time mentality that has his sometimes undermanned teams playing with tremendous belief in themselves. That's what made our D2 recruits play at a D1 level for the last few years and has gotten our D1 recruits into the top-15. Plus, Stig has often said, and I agree with him, that it's the seniors who provide the motivation for a team. Stig talks about how he can rant and rave, but ultimately, the players are motivated by their leaders on the team.

As for the attendance, it was better this year than in past years. We broke our average attendance record by a mile. Season tickets are up, and I'd expect a substantial jump before next year. But our fans were conditioned by decades of mediocrity that it didn't matter much if they showed up in November. I would say that the football IQ of our fans is increasing every year and the increased numbers indicate that they know they're making a difference. But you don't change the culture overnight. It's moving in the right direction. Meaningful November games will eventually meet the season average.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

They were the better team they were not heads and shoulders above us. What Im saying is they executed the game plan and made the plays to win. We did nothing good to even have a chance. We lost close last year at the end of the game there so there is no reason that they should have been that much better this year then us. what Im saying is I want(and i think we our on our way) too being that kind of team, having taht moxy and swagger of going into games against top teams and not seem like we our the underdogs everygame. we are a damn good team. I truly think the team wins together and losses together.

Not sure how you think i was characterizing Stig but i think its not correct. I like him, he gets the team to play hard and honest which a lot of coaches sell out on. When we lost to NDSU he said he was tired of losing to them. he got fired up because he knew what it was going to take to win, and he got the team to beleive that we were better then NDSU even though we were still losing to them, now we are beating them and its paying off. Same with UNI they had our number for a few years but Stig got to the point where losing to top teams is not good enough for moral victories. I feel a team can only get as fired up for a game as the coaching staff allows and as fans build excitement as well. The team and the crowd had no intensity, there was no sense of urgency in that stadium, we all sat there thinking oh well, the better team won. Well im tired of moral victories. I think we have the talent to beat SIU and im not afraid to make that challenge. They were better prepared with game plan, attitude, game execution playing to the occassion, like the confrence championship was on the line. I give credit to SIU they did what they needed to and wanted to do. I want the team to remember this game, never forget it, letting an oppertunity slip by, and do there darnest to make sure the next chance the revel in it.

I am happy to see attendance avg as awhole, but this one game, the game that means more then the others at this point, i dont think we gave our best effort. Yes it was better then years ago but hosting a top team with confrence champ and playoff implications on the like 10k just isnt gonna cut it. I do feel though that attendance is only going to grow.

Go jack, beat those Goophers.

On a side note, ive met Stig, I was a freshman years ago and was interested in joining the tennis team, I was touring the hper weeks before school started during the middle of football camp and as i tour the building, i see my mom talking to Stig, totally embaressed because the man is busy with camp and a game 2 weeks away, well there my mom is talking to him. She said i was interested in tennis, Stig even with his own busy schedule took the time to invite us up to his office where he told us everything we needed to know and who to contact and spent more then enough time helping us. To me that showed the character of the man, he had his own priorities with the team but he took his time to help a freshman find out some info for the tennis team, i challenge you to try to find another football coach in the country who would take his time during camp to talk to a freshman tennis player.

Hope I cleared a little up. If not msg me and we can talk about our passion for SDSU.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Not sure how you think i was characterizing Stig but i think its not correct.
              Well, I was responding to what you wrote, specifically this:

his aww schucks atitude wont get the team going.
              I took that to mean that you want Stig to get mad and yell and scream at the team. If that's not what you meant, that's fine. But that's what you said.

By the way, nobody's saying losing to a better team is in any way a "moral victory". Sometimes, the other team is better. That's not a moral victory. It's a loss to a better team, and it's probably good to be able to admit it so we can figure out what we need to do to get to that lofty level ourselves.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

After watching Dale Lennons comments at the press conference, I feel much better about Saturday. He said SIU caught SDSU on an off day. I think he was right and I dont think he was protecting his friend Coach Stig but was being honest. It was an off day and by mid 3rd quarter, I think the true and loyal fans had also reached that conclusion. There is still a chance for a rematch in the playoffs. Maybe it will be SIU's turn to take the day off.

Comment

I am happy to see attendance avg as awhole, but this one game, the game that means more then the others at this point, i dont think we gave our best effort. Yes it was better then years ago but hosting a top team with confrence champ and playoff implications on the like 10k just isnt gonna cut it. I do feel though that attendance is only going to grow.
                  Not to pile on goon, but people in Brookings used to be happy when we had a big crowd for Hobo Day and the USD/Augustana game.

In 1999 we had two games hit 10K. One of them was against Augustana, and one was against UND at Hobo Day (I think). We never went over 11,000 that year. When I looked that up, I was shocked. How quickly things have changed.

Could/should attendance have been better, sure. But, I'll take a 2000 increase in average attendance vs 16K for one game every year.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Well, I was responding to what you wrote, specifically this:

I took that to mean that you want Stig to get mad and yell and scream at the team. If that's not what you meant, that's fine. But that's what you said.

By the way, nobody's saying losing to a better team is in any way a "moral victory". Sometimes, the other team is better. That's not a moral victory. It's a loss to a better team, and it's probably good to be able to admit it so we can figure out what we need to do to get to that lofty level ourselves.
                    I can see how you could see it that way, What i mean is sometimes just playing hard and getting beat even if the other team is better doesn't mean its ok to lose. The only thing a loss ever does is prove the other team was better that game, I dont want him yelling and cursing, but to get maybe a better word would be more intensity for the team to feed off of. I agree we need to see what they did to be the best and know taht we can be there too. next year when preparing for playing at SIU i would have this score posted on the scoreboard the whole week leading up to that game or even for the whole season, a reminder of how we fell short and what we need to get there. In our second year im stoked we are where we are. Its a great thing we are here and the team is so close to making the jump to not just being a good team in the confrence but a elite team on the region and national level.

I hope my post was not and with no intention to be negative, far from it. We have a great team and I think its ok for us to get angry if we disapoint ourselves be it the team performance or lack of crowd enthusiasm(sp).

I love Stigs team first commitment and game plan, He would be the first coach I would pick for my own kids to play for, that is for sure. I would be a proud dad to have a kid play for coach Stig, but i dont have kids yet so prolly wont see that happen, but a guy can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                      Not to pile on goon, but people in Brookings used to be happy when we had a big crowd for Hobo Day and the USD/Augustana game.

In 1999 we had two games hit 10K. One of them was against Augustana, and one was against UND at Hobo Day (I think). We never went over 11,000 that year. When I looked that up, I was shocked. How quickly things have changed.

Could/should attendance have been better, sure. But, I'll take a 2000 increase in average attendance vs 16K for one game every year.
                      I understand we have come a long way, but to make it consistant and up to the level it should be I dont think we can be happy with this games attendance. Its great the season avg went up which i said was good, but this particular game has never had so much importance for a home game in years, I understand fans cant just show up for a game, most people can only pick a few games a year that they can make it for and i can understand how the last game of the year can be the lowest for attendance, but thats what we need to continue to change the culture of, the season doesnt end after hobo day. I post that knowing most already feel that way like preaching to the choir. I dont think its wrong to feel dissapointed that we could not have been more for the team, and im sure the team would have like more of us in the stands also.

Comment

Working...
                      X