Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT Youngstown Penguins

My reward is a smile upon your countenance
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      This on paper stuff is BS.
      I'm more than willing to bet that when most people say "on paper" they are referring to SIU athleticism. They may have a point but as long as we are South Dakota State we are going to be known as a big, bruising, smash-mouth football team. Right or wrong, most people assume we aren't as athletic.

Let's just say I'm stoked for next week's game to figure this all out. I sure hope everyone of you is bringing a few friends to the game. We need to sell CAS out...no questions asked! If we don't get over 13,000 people to the game it will be an embarrassment and prove a large contingent of our Jackrabbit faithful's football knowledge is lacking!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        I'm more than willing to bet that when most people say "on paper" they are referring to SIU athleticism. They may have a point but as long as we are South Dakota State we are going to be known as a big, bruising, smash-mouth football team. Right or wrong, most people assume we aren't as athletic.

Let's just say I'm stoked for next week's game to figure this all out. I sure hope everyone of you is bringing a few friends to the game. We need to sell CAS out...no questions asked! If we don't get over 13,000 people to the game it will be an embarrassment and prove a large contingent of our Jackrabbit faithful's football knowledge is lacking!

Define "athleticism." Big, bruising, smash-mouth football is athletic football, too. Who's more athletic, Chad Greenway or Troy Williamson?

Is SIU faster? Not sure, haven't seen them play.
        Are they more proficient moving the ball and stopping the other team? Not on paper.
        Are they as disciplined?
        Not on paper.

Comment

As for noisemakers. Terry V, during his blog, said they were pastic hand-clapper...which, to me, would he artificial noise makers. BUT...I am sure I heard one or two cowbells on television. There's just no doubt about it. Based on the rule, both should be outlawed. If we're goinng to enforce it at SDSU, other schools should, too. If not...we get our dang cowbells back.
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            As for noisemakers. Terry V, during his blog, said they were pastic hand-clapper...which, to me, would he artificial noise makers. BUT...I am sure I heard one or two cowbells on television. There's just no doubt about it. Based on the rule, both should be outlawed. If we're goinng to enforce it at SDSU, other schools should, too. If not...we get our dang cowbells back.
            I hope we get ours back... all mine is doing is collecting dust on my coffee table.
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

They were definitely cowbells and plastic hand clappers. Ever since the early 90s, those have become a staple of the Ice Castle. Hell, Mississippi State is known for their cowbell..

Here is what a YSU fan had to say about SDSU:
              Those of you who say SDSU is "good", not "great" Maybe. But their style of football is what we used to play. And what I STILL want to play.

A mauling offensive line, very strong running backs, big solid tight ends, a QB who can "manage"
              the game.

Solid defense at every position, lunchpail type guys, no stars. Solid special teams.

Tremendously well-coached. Extremely disciplined and team-oriented.

That's what we used to be. That's what we should all want our team to be.

Give them their due. The won't "roll" through the playoffs, but they're not going to get routed that's for sure.

Comment

Thanks, Guinzone.

It's just interesting that SDSU is the team that really seems to throw other programs' fans into suicide watch. I realize that YSU has been underperforming by the program's and the fans' standards. But there's just enough of that "I can't believe we lost to SDSU" undertone to the forum comments this week to remind me of what we heard after we beat up NDSU and UNI this year.

SDSU is now 12-2 since joining the MVFC, so at some point everybody's going to have to start expecting to lose to us, rather than measuring the dire straits of their program based on a loss to the Jackrabbits.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

On paper UNI was better than us. On paper Cal Poly was better than us, we shot ourselves in the foot that game, throw in all the other teams comments when talking that game. Most teams we play are better on paper than us. But paper doesn't have a heart.

Comment

Last time I checked the field at CAS is covered in grass, not paper. We never play games on paper! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Thanks, Guinzone.

It's just interesting that SDSU is the team that really seems to throw other programs' fans into suicide watch. I realize that YSU has been underperforming by the program's and the fans' standards. But there's just enough of that "I can't believe we lost to SDSU" undertone to the forum comments this week to remind me of what we heard after we beat up NDSU and UNI this year.

SDSU is now 12-2 since joining the MVFC, so at some point everybody's going to have to start expecting to lose to us, rather than measuring the dire straits of their program based on a loss to the Jackrabbits.
                      I think if I were an YSU fan I too would be very unhappy. Here is why. In 1973 I lived in Dayton Ohio and made the considerable drive to Youngstown to what SDSU play YSU. I got there early and spend a little time in a bar. All the fans in there talking high school football. There were apparently some Saturday games. This was before the Ice Palace and YSU played on a high school field, and the fans did not want to bother going, but they did direct me to the high school staduim. SDSU won that one too, btw, but the funny part I could not get was from that sample of fans I had conversation with cared only about high school ball and did not care about YSU and I dont recall if they were alums or not. Maybe in that part of the state at particular time, high school football was tops and I think it still is.

What I saw of the YSU athletes yesterday was they were skilled at every position and they had talent, but they were clearly underpreforming. I am not saying that SDSU is not a talented team, we are.

The intercept by Derek Domino was huge more so not because SDSU got into scoring position and converted a turnover, but more because at that time YSU mentally folded like an accordian, and that goes back to team control by the coaching staff. Its not there, and the student athletes are left up to suck it up and move on, but it look to me that YSU was less vicious team after that play. Thats why I think Coach Dressel now at Ohio State was the only one at YSU that got his team to play up to their abilities. I am not surprised the fans are calling for Heacock job. Its football country and they love to see how a good team plays and wins. I perfectly understand how Guinzone feels. When you have the talent and it does not develope, some one has to start asking questions at the AD level and then at Pres level.

Comment

10,780 was the reported attendance yesterday at YSU? Did their ticket manager graduate from USD?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I think if I were an YSU fan I too would be very unhappy. Here is why. In 1973 I lived in Dayton Ohio and made the considerable drive to Youngstown to what SDSU play YSU. I got there early and spend a little time in a bar. All the fans in there talking high school football. There were apparently some Saturday games. This was before the Ice Palace and YSU played on a high school field, and the fans did not want to bother going, but they did direct me to the high school staduim. SDSU won that one too, btw, but the funny part I could not get was from that sample of fans I had conversation with cared only about high school ball and did not care about YSU and I dont recall if they were alums or not. Maybe in that part of the state at particular time, high school football was tops and I think it still is.

What I saw of the YSU athletes yesterday was they were skilled at every position and they had talent, but they were clearly underpreforming. I am not saying that SDSU is not a talented team, we are.

The intercept by Derek Domino was huge more so not because SDSU got into scoring position and converted a turnover, but more because at that time YSU mentally folded like an accordian, and that goes back to team control by the coaching staff. Its not there, and the student athletes are left up to suck it up and move on, but it look to me that YSU was less vicious team after that play. Thats why I think Coach Dressel now at Ohio State was the only one at YSU that got his team to play up to their abilities. I am not surprised the fans are calling for Heacock job. Its football country and they love to see how a good team plays and wins. I perfectly understand how Guinzone feels. When you have the talent and it does not develope, some one has to start asking questions at the AD level and then at Pres level.

Yogi Berra used to say baseball was 90 percent half mental. Coaching matters. Mental toughness matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                            10,780 was the reported attendance yesterday at YSU? Did their ticket manager graduate from USD?
                            Plus, it was Youngstowns homecoming. It appears that 4 to 5,000 people showed up. Can you imagine less than 5,000 fans at a hobo day game? I can't. USD math lives on in Ohio.

They were cow bells, horns, clappers, the band played into the game as well did the PA guy during game action.

Jacks and Jack fans can walk tall and be proud of this team.

On paper SIU is better - did you say PAPER? We play on real, wet, slippery, soft grass. No game is won on paper.

Bring on the dogs. Go JACKS

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                              Maybe so. There were maybe...MAYBE...3,000 people there yesterday. That was a horrible inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by darkerstill View Post
                                Maybe so. There were maybe...MAYBE...3,000 people there yesterday. That was a horrible inflation.
                                They were either trick or treating or at a high school football game. Ever heard of Poland Ohio? They were the cat's meow when I made my one and only visit to Youngstown as a fan, year 1973. Although I lived in Arlington maybe 4 years and have a grand nephew playing, I really can't get excited about Arlington vs Castlewood playoff came tomorrow night. I might wonder down to the field to see what is going on though, but it does not outshadow the game next Saturdays game at CAS.

Comment

Working...
                                X