Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Color Guard

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    A fair question. I hope our AD takes a an occasional glance at this board. AD Sells seems to want to make the best better, and this is one place where they could improve.
    Agreed. The game production seems to have slipped a bit. There are silent gaps, episodes of poor timing, and less overall control of the flow of events. I know they're understaffed, and it's a big undertaking.

That's not a dig at Justin Swanson, by the way. I like Justin a lot and know that like everybody in athletics he's overwhelmed with work and nonetheless does a very good job. It's especially tough for Justin, I'm guessing, with Mark Burgers gone and nobody filling that slot. Justin is a good guy and does an excellent job. I'll bet he'd be glad to have another graduate assistant or two to help with those productions.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Agreed. The game production seems to have slipped a bit. There are silent gaps, episodes of poor timing, and less overall control of the flow of events. I know they're understaffed, and it's a big undertaking.

That's not a dig at Justin Swanson, by the way. I like Justin a lot and know that like everybody in athletics he's overwhelmed with work and nonetheless does a very good job. It's especially tough for Justin, I'm guessing, with Mark Burgers gone and nobody filling that slot. Justin is a good guy and does an excellent job. I'll bet he'd be glad to have another graduate assistant or two to help with those productions.
      Well, I have participated in the game day production of every football game so far this year and all I can say is Swanny does a great job. He is asked to keep so many things organized and goes out of his way to help people with tasks he is not even responsible for, not to mention he does all of this with an unpaid staff of students.

As for some lack of timing, most of the problems are out of his and his staff's control... for example just last game, one thing that threw off the timing was the football players taking the field late (and it's not as simple as just telling them to go when they are standing at the entrance in a huddle and screaming) as well as the fly over was late even after we got a late start from the players being late.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Regarding the Color Guard, the way it's handled at the College World Series may work well at CAS.

When the colors are being presented prior to the National Anthem, the PA announcers asks everyone to rise and remove their hats and then asks that everyone remain at attention until the colors are retired following the anthem. When the colors are appropriately retired, the PA announcers simply says, "Thank you," and people go about their business.

There's always a few folks who forget, put their hat on and sit down. But the majority remember so those that do forget pop right back to attention. One difference is that the Color Guard doesn't march nearly as far onto the field at Rosenblatt as they do at CAS so people don't have to hold their attention very long. It works well, and I think it teaches respect.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
          Regarding the Color Guard, the way it's handled at the College World Series may work well at CAS.

When the colors are being presented prior to the National Anthem, the PA announcers asks everyone to rise and remove their hats and then asks that everyone remain at attention until the colors are retired following the anthem. When the colors are appropriately retired, the PA announcers simply says, "Thank you," and people go about their business.

There's always a few folks who forget, put their hat on and sit down. But the majority remember so those that do forget pop right back to attention. One difference is that the Color Guard doesn't march nearly as far onto the field at Rosenblatt as they do at CAS so people don't have to hold their attention very long. It works well, and I think it teaches respect.
          IMO, there are a good majority of people that don't understand that a person is to stand at attention until the colors have left the field. They just assume that once the anthem is done so is their need to pay respects.

I, for one, would love to see the colors brought in from the south endzone, honored at the 50, and then taken out through the north endzone. Let the color guard walk the whole field so that we can pay the proper respects. That could also avoid the situation that happened against UNI.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I haven't seen an away team out there for the national anthem for a long time at the Fargo Dome. They usually just send out their captains for the toss and then the team comes out right when the colors are leaving.
            Certainly not trying to start anything as a very humbled Bison fan but people wonder why UND fans and Bison fans are said to have alot of arrogance. You win X amount of national championships in a given sport and it naturally happens. I understand that they were (7)Hockey titles and us with our (8)DII football titles but it certainly has something to do with it. Agreed ? I know we're in D 1 now but tradition is tradition. What sort of attitude would your fan base have had you guys won a few titles ? Serious question....not trying to smack...trust me....we're 1-7....which by the amount of posts about NDSU on here, I can see you're fully aware. Good Luck against Youngstown !

Comment

Originally posted by 8>1 View Post
              I haven't seen an away team out there for the national anthem for a long time at the Fargo Dome. They usually just send out their captains for the toss and then the team comes out right when the colors are leaving.
              Certainly not trying to start anything as a very humbled Bison fan but people wonder why UND fans and Bison fans are said to have alot of arrogance. You win X amount of national championships in a given sport and it naturally happens. I understand that they were (7)Hockey titles and us with our (8)DII football titles but it certainly has something to do with it. Agreed ? I know we're in D 1 now but tradition is tradition. What sort of attitude would your fan base have had you guys won a few titles ? Serious question....not trying to smack...trust me....we're 1-7....which by the amount of posts about NDSU on here, I can see you're fully aware. Good Luck against Youngstown !
              Tradition is one thing...but disrespecting the flag and the national anthem is another. Because you may have won 8 national championships does not mean you are given a pass when it comes to honoring the flag and what it stands for. I shake my head everytime I hear the..."and the home of the Bison" at the end of the national anthem.

Comment

A winning tradition is one thing. Confidence and maybe natural arrogance that comes with it can be expected, at times accepted. We are talking about respecting the flag and our national anthem, which are symbols of our American TRADITION. Tradition that reflects the honor and sacrafice of thousands of American men & women that have served or are currently serving the United States and its people. It is wrong to take something with such deep meaning and cheapen it with your own childish spin. If you can not understand that then I would suggest visiting your local VFW post and listen to the stories behind those symbols represent.

Comment

Arrogance has nothing to do with respect for the nation and the people defending it. Maybe you are taught a different version of the national anthem that the rest of the entire nation. And what we are talking about is the UNI team running out on the field on both sides of the color guard when they are marching off the field. They could have gone on one side and the guard wouldn't have had to deal with them but they didn't. But the NDSU fans who feel the need to change the national anthem should really get a life and honor the people who fought for this country.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Here's the thing, we all know NDSU won a bunch of DII championships is football and women's basketball back in the day. We don't need to be reminded of that and believe it or not, it isn't relevant now. If you think it is then you're helpless in that aspect of life. Get over yourself and live in the present.

I had the displeasure of being near a group of particularly disrespectful bison fans at the game this year. From pre-game, through the anthem and then during the Jackrabbit victory. I saw nothing resembling tradition or enthusiasm for their team or respect for ours. Their focus was on the officiating or the field conditions or directed towards some misconceived belief that NDSU is better than SDSU. That is arrogance and its not justifiable. The argument 8>1 makes doesn't stand up and until attitudes change I can't respect the Bison.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                      A winning tradition is one thing. Confidence and maybe natural arrogance that comes with it can be expected, at times accepted. We are talking about respecting the flag and our national anthem, which are symbols of our American TRADITION. Tradition that reflects the honor and sacrafice of thousands of American men & women that have served or are currently serving the United States and its people. It is wrong to take something with such deep meaning and cheapen it with your own childish spin. If you can not understand that then I would suggest visiting your local VFW post and listen to the stories behind those symbols represent.
                      I have been reading this with some interest and even though it disgust the hell out of me when people show no respect, and piss on a honored tradition, as a Marine and now a Soldier, I must remind myself that the reasons my friends and friends, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, granfathers, grandmothers etc... of others fought , fight and give thier lives for this country is because of reasons like this.

They have the right to do what they do, they have the right to say what they say...it's called freedom...this is a concept many other countries around the world still have a hard time figuring out. They still can not figure out how we can make an all voulenteer service fight as hard as we do and for what we fight for...Its called Freedom.

Whether we like it or not and no matter how much my blood boils when I see and hear these acts of difiance, I do remember that this is thier right. Thank God for Freedom...curse us all for choice.

As far as running over the Color Guard, this is the coaches error no matter how much things are scripted. He controls his team, at least he should.

The next time it happens, do what your trained to do, protect the flag, give them the butt end of your rifle accross the jaw, they'll think twice the next time. This probably would cause a riot but I'll tell you one thing, I will be fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with the Soldier.

That is my right!

Comment

Rep points given. Said well. And while I think they would be justified in using the butt end of their rifle, my guess is that all of our service men and women, including you, are trained so well that they in Saturday's situation they would see that as a little overboard. However, if they actually made contact with anyone ...

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

First of all Rabbitden, Semper Fi.

Secondly, this type of stuff happens. I am sure UNI didn't know the proper way to act as the colors were being retired. They knew they had to take the field and waited until the National Anthem was over. I found no offense in it, even though I do know the proper etiquette. I just know how it is.

Finally, in regard to the Bison ending the National Anthem with the "Home of the Bison" thing, I think that is extremely tacky. It's AWESOME how pumped up Bison fans are about their teams, but there needs to be some situational awareness. They (Bison fans) remind me of a dude in my squadron whose callsign is "Finless" because he's like a finless rocket: All thrust and no vector. 100% all the time, regardless of what is going on.

It's the National Anthem, not the f*ing Bison cheering song. Just have some perspective on the bigger picture than our little game and realize that we are all countrymen and show some respect.

Comment

^ ^ What he said.

Comment

Uh ok....I was obviously misunderstood which seems to happen alot around here. The first paragraph of my post was some insight to what I've noticed at the FFDome and the color guard issue. The second paragraph was in response to someone calling out Bison fans as being arrogant and I was simply trying to offer some insight as to maybe the reason behind that arrogance was all of the titles (D2 or not) we've won. I was in no way condoning any of the negative actions that people have brought up in this thread. No, I'm not one of the fans that yells "Bison" at the end of the anthem and I think it's very disrespectful. I also remain standing until the colors are retired. My dad is a vietnam vet and he leads by example by remaining at attention throughout all of it. I also don't need to go to any VFW, I work for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs and the VA hospital so I work with and care for vets every day. Unfortunately, there are Bison fans like Lakes and others that spew garbage from time to time on here but I thought by my post I was being very respectful and appropriate and was surprised at the response. I maybe should have brought up my arrogance perspective in another thread to limit possible confusion. Is it just me or are there a few of you that want to be hostile toward me no matter what I say ? If you'd prefer I didn't post around here just let me know but I thought I was behaving myself pretty well and giving insight from a Bison fans persepective. As far as how our fans acted at your game...I wasn't there so I can't really give an opinion on that. Any chance any of those fans had been drinking a little before that game ? Does anyone else agree with me that when you factor alcohol into any situation....I don't care what it is.....that things verbalized or actions that happen in said situation, should be taken with a grain of salt ??? Seriously, if some wasted Bison fans were bitching about your field...which did look like crap, but both teams played on it....and complaining about reffing and that got under your skin, thicken that skin up a bit. I'm not here to look for arguments, just get sick of being misunderstood all the time. If you wanna lump me in with the rest of the Bison fans that piss you guys off all the time then fine, do what you gotta do. But it's not my intention.

Comment

Originally posted by 8>1 View Post
                                Uh ok....I was obviously misunderstood which seems to happen alot around here. The first paragraph of my post was some insight to what I've noticed at the FFDome and the color guard issue. The second paragraph was in response to someone calling out Bison fans as being arrogant and I was simply trying to offer some insight as to maybe the reason behind that arrogance was all of the titles (D2 or not) we've won. I was in no way condoning any of the negative actions that people have brought up in this thread. No, I'm not one of the fans that yells "Bison" at the end of the anthem and I think it's very disrespectful. I also remain standing until the colors are retired. My dad is a vietnam vet and he leads by example by remaining at attention throughout all of it. I also don't need to go to any VFW, I work for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs and the VA hospital so I work with and care for vets every day. Unfortunately, there are Bison fans like Lakes and others that spew garbage from time to time on here but I thought by my post I was being very respectful and appropriate and was surprised at the response. I maybe should have brought up my arrogance perspective in another thread to limit possible confusion. Is it just me or are there a few of you that want to be hostile toward me no matter what I say ? If you'd prefer I didn't post around here just let me know but I thought I was behaving myself pretty well and giving insight from a Bison fans persepective. As far as how our fans acted at your game...I wasn't there so I can't really give an opinion on that. Any chance any of those fans had been drinking a little before that game ? Does anyone else agree with me that when you factor alcohol into any situation....I don't care what it is.....that things verbalized or actions that happen in said situation, should be taken with a grain of salt ??? Seriously, if some wasted Bison fans were bitching about your field...which did look like crap, but both teams played on it....and complaining about reffing and that got under your skin, thicken that skin up a bit. I'm not here to look for arguments, just get sick of being misunderstood all the time. If you wanna lump me in with the rest of the Bison fans that piss you guys off all the time then fine, do what you gotta do. But it's not my intention.
                                Feel free to post all you want. I really don't think anyone was attacking you with their replies (at least I wasn't). My reply was in regards to NDSU fans showing disrespect for the nation and the military. And I didn't target all NDSU fans, only the ones who think they need to change the national anthem. As for the field conditions, since NDSU practices outside and I'm sure they have had rain recently, shouldn't they have been prepared for wet conditions?
                                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                                X