Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance for the NDSU game

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Better facility = better attendance figures regardless of TV.

Sometimes you can miss opportunities to grow by holding too tightly to what you've got...

---

I just hope they go with fake brick tilt-ups from Gage Bros. instead of rough faced concrete block.
    "You have to spend money to make money."

Two areas of money-spending that still need upgrading:
    1) Promotions and publicity, and

2) Facilities.

Promotions and publicity--both have it seems improved greatly, but much is yet to be done. I still advocate strongly for a multi-station radio network, preferably with WNAX as the flagship, but with local radio station presence in the larger SD cities--Sioux Falls, Rapid, Aberdeen, Watertown, Huron, and Mitchell in addition to Yankton at a minimum.

The weekly TV show on KSFY, and the coverage on Mediacom cable systems is essential, but is only a start. The debacle of KSFY discovering at the last minute that they couldn't broadcast the NDSU game can't be repeated. That was just plain embarrassing. SDSU needs to get the games on Midcontinent cable--not doing that is ignoring the biggest cable provider in the state's largest TV market, which can't be a good thing.

There are lots of ways to attack this--from SDSU and USD joining forces to create a South Dakota Sports Network (possibly working with SDPTV?) that would be carried throughout the state, both on cable and over-the-air. I'm sure that an afternoon's brainstorming could come up with a number of innovative strategies to attack the issue of getting more games-on-tv-especially-OTA-tv. I do think that this is an area that SDSU and USD could very, very profitably cooperate to the mutual benefit of both schools.

But I'm just sitting here in Missouri, making stuff up. What do I really know, anyway?

Facilities--
    I believe that SDSU has hit that point where the football stadium is a drag on attendance/revenue opportunities, and hence on the overall football and athletic programs.

It's no longer has the needed seating capacity, it doesn't have modern fan amenities such as concessions and bathrooms, the east bleachers are pretty sad, and the west grandstand is just getting old. It was a decent Division II facility in its day. But those days are gone, and the 3,000-student NCAA College Division SDSC is now the 12,000-student NCAA Division I SDSU.

Even with the big scoreboard on one end and the Dykhouse Center at the other end, the limitations for fans of the current stadium--both the west side and the east side stands, as well as the rest of the facility--are becoming quite obvious to everyone.

And that's without talking about the press box or going into the playing surface issue.

Of course, none of this is a surprise to anyone, except maybe a realization of just how inadequate the current CAS really is for SDSU at this point in the university's history.

Bottom line: Send more money!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Tyler said on his twitter this morning that KGFX in Pierre has been added to the Jackrabbit Sports Network.

http://twitter.com/tylermerriam

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        Tyler said on his twitter this morning that KGFX in Pierre has been added to the Jackrabbit Sports Network.

http://twitter.com/tylermerriam
        Missing pieces are one of the stations out of Rapid City/Hills and one up in Aberdeen.

And (IMO) you can thank the WBB program, probably more than anything else, for making SDSU the state's university.....

I'm betting that last year's run tournament run did more to convert fence sitters than anything else....

Comment

KGFX is a very, very good addition to the Jackrabbit Sports Network, but those stations don't carry football or men's basketball, I believe -- those rights are still owned by WNAX exclusively, for another two years or so, I think.

I'd think that this is already being suggested behind the scenes, but I'd like to see SDSU approach WNAX to re-negotiate the deal and make them the flagship of the newer, beefier JSN (actually two networks most likely--one carrying football/men's basketball, and one carrying the current JSN offerings), although I can see reasons why WNAX wouldn't be very enthusiastic about the idea from their point of view until the current agreement expires.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            KGFX is a very, very good addition to the Jackrabbit Sports Network, but those stations don't carry football or men's basketball, I believe -- those rights are still owned by WNAX exclusively, for another two years or so, I think.

I'd think that this is already being suggested behind the scenes, but I'd like to see SDSU approach WNAX to re-negotiate the deal and make them the flagship of the newer, beefier JSN (actually two networks most likely--one carrying football/men's basketball, and one carrying the current JSN offerings), although I can see reasons why WNAX wouldn't be very enthusiastic about the idea from their point of view until the current agreement expires.
            Most athletic departments are realizing that times have changed and they need to bring their media production in-house and capitalize on the value of the content they can create. The old model of paying somebody to air your games is done. The new model is producing the game yourself then assembling a network to air it and sharing the advertising revenue in some way.

Makes sense that you'd try to leverage the value of your sought-after content rather than giving it away or, worse yet, paying somebody else to air it and make money off of it.

Once you eliminate exclusivity and are producing (and thus, owning) the content yourself, it's much easier to knit together a network of providers that will hit all the markets you want to hit.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Let's face it the main reason for KGFX coming on board are two Pierre preps on the womens team. It's my understanding they will broadcast womens basketball only. Is there a Mitchell station covering the team?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Most athletic departments are realizing that times have changed and they need to bring their media production in-house and capitalize on the value of the content they can create. The old model of paying somebody to air your games is done. The new model is producing the game yourself then assembling a network to air it and sharing the advertising revenue in some way.

Makes sense that you'd try to leverage the value of your sought-after content rather than giving it away or, worse yet, paying somebody else to air it and make money off of it.

Once you eliminate exclusivity and are producing (and thus, owning) the content yourself, it's much easier to knit together a network of providers that will hit all the markets you want to hit.
                Is the direction they are going by hiring TM and producing the KSFY Sunday night shows?

Comment

Working...
                X