Coughlin Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coughlin Capacity

I think TV's Friday article about Coughlin's future direction was very refreshing and informing. Among other things, the most valuable asset that Justin Sells brought to Brookings was his hands on experience in helping UNI build their basketball facility. With facilities so many things can go wrong starting with the fund raising, so I think we really have the right leadership in getting CAS replaced. I am confident that AD Sell knows how to sell this to the admin and rally the resources to get the project fully completed this time around, as it did not happen 50 years ago with Staduim for State. This is why we have east side bleachers.

I would hope the turf and field conditions will quickly be addressed in two years as some have asserted. I have no reason to dispute this claim other than to be a crab, which I have no reason to do this early in the morning. I just hope and pray our players and staff can have a successful season this year. Its been long in coming.

Comment

Geez, you selfish people, thinking of your comfort over that of the players. Stands and seats before a nice cushiony field to fall on for the players. Next thing you will want little hot air registers built into the grandstands at every seat at leg level to keep your little feetsies warm. They could put the geothermal pipes under the field and pipe it on up to you ungrateful fans for your comfort .*

*only kidding here take this post for what its intended for. an attempt at humor.

Comment

There's no need for Justin Sell to "sell" the administration on the stadium...President Chicoine gave the goahead to get things going last year to Dr. Oien, when he was still AD. It's selling it to the donors that will take the doing.

Comment

I heard the other day that "Bonding" for any project related to Athletics was prohibited by the SDBOR way back when. I hear Sell was quite surprised by this rule when this option was brought up.

Just in comparision....Ohio State has over $700 million in bonded debt in relation to it's athletic dept. I don't think a $20-$30 million in bonded $$ to build a new football stadium is too unreasonable. The corporate suites alone would be worth the price tag. They would be the easiest sell in South Dakota.

This is an example where Chicone and Abbot need to get together and get this "old" way of thinking changed. We both have needs. A new CAS and USD needs a place for BBB.

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

[QUOTE=propar80;129882]I heard the other day that "Bonding" for any project related to Athletics was prohibited by the SDBOR way back when. I hear Sell was quite surprised by this rule when this option was brought up.

I'm quite sure the BOR is still paying off bonds for the Dakota Dome roof replacement. There is a summary of outstanding bond issues in the Budget Committee documents where the Annual Athletic Report is published.

I had wondered about that because several times I had read that the replacement was paid off with tobacco funds. There may still bere a tobacco fund revenue stream that is retiring the bonds.

If true, the BOR policy seem short sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              There's no need for Justin Sell to "sell" the administration on the stadium...President Chicoine gave the goahead to get things going last year to Dr. Oien, when he was still AD. It's selling it to the donors that will take the doing.
              Sorry my bad. Thanks Jack#1Fan.

Comment

Artificial grass is a must. It's nice, it's proven to be safer than real grass and it looks a whole lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
                  Artificial grass is a must. It's nice, it's proven to be safer than real grass and it looks a whole lot better.
                  I respect your opinion, but I think real grass is a must. I don't think it looks a lot better than real grass, I think it looks really fake. That's just how I feel. I am interested to learn how the new turf is safer than real grass. I am not being facetious, I am interested in learning.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                    I respect your opinion, but I think real grass is a must. I don't think it looks a lot better than real grass, I think it looks really fake. That's just how I feel. I am interested to learn how the new turf is safer than real grass. I am not being facetious, I am interested in learning.
                    The new articial grass (the old astro turf is another story) has been shown to be equal in comparing the # of injuries, severity, and cause of injuries when compared with Soccer Players (now I know Football may be of different nature, but the new artificial grass is much like real grass when it comes to injuries).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...gdbfrom=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...gdbfrom=pubmed

*for those of you who don't like research papers I apologize

Comment

A few of us got into a conversation about the crowds at CAS and the question was raised about what the cap on the number of fans that SDSU could draw. The number that was tossed around was about 30,000. It seems that with the geographic area that Brookings is in and the relative size of Brookings and SDSU it seems that anything more than 25 grand for home games could be a little high. What do you all think? Do you think, in the future, that Jackrabbit football would be drawing twice as many to every home game?
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        A few of us got into a conversation about the crowds at CAS and the question was raised about what the cap on the number of fans that SDSU could draw. The number that was tossed around was about 30,000. It seems that with the geographic area that Brookings is in and the relative size of Brookings and SDSU it seems that anything more than 25 grand for home games could be a little high. What do you all think? Do you think, in the future, that Jackrabbit football would be drawing twice as many to every home game?
                        Personally, I would think that seating for a maximum of 20,000 would be plenty with Brookings geography and population base. Factor in standing room or temporary seating if necessary for another 2-3,000 and that would be plenty. Let's keep in mind that the FargoDome holds, what, 19,000 in a larger population base with a more rich football tradition and that would seem to be about the right number for their needs in a good year. If you get too big then you run the risk of "empty stadium syndrome". Those late year games where the fan base thins out and you've got a large stadium with no fans in it. You've got to account for your bigger crowds, but I don't believe there's any reason why one could expect SDSU's fan base to continue growing so that the average crowd is double it's current numbers. For those early season games, 20,000 would be great to have in the coming years assuming SDSU continues to gain a foothold in FCS. But beyond that even if SDSU wins a National Title or two in the next 10 years you can't (at least I can't) expect the attendance numbers to grow by much more than 5,000 than current for the "high profile" games.

What would I like to see? Thanks for asking. Two stadium sides with the Dykehouse Center forming a "U" shape. Leave the south end open for the "standers" and temporary seating if needed and leave a view to the campus. Oh, and throw down the field turf.

Just my 2 cents.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                          Personally, I would think that seating for a maximum of 20,000 would be plenty with Brookings geography and population base. Factor in standing room or temporary seating if necessary for another 2-3,000 and that would be plenty. Let's keep in mind that the FargoDome holds, what, 19,000 in a larger population base with a more rich football tradition and that would seem to be about the right number for their needs in a good year. If you get too big then you run the risk of "empty stadium syndrome". Those late year games where the fan base thins out and you've got a large stadium with no fans in it. You've got to account for your bigger crowds, but I don't believe there's any reason why one could expect SDSU's fan base to continue growing so that the average crowd is double it's current numbers. For those early season games, 20,000 would be great to have in the coming years assuming SDSU continues to gain a foothold in FCS. But beyond that even if SDSU wins a National Title or two in the next 10 years you can't (at least I can't) expect the attendance numbers to grow by much more than 5,000 than current for the "high profile" games.

What would I like to see? Thanks for asking. Two stadium sides with the Dykehouse Center forming a "U" shape. Leave the south end open for the "standers" and temporary seating if needed and leave a view to the campus. Oh, and throw down the field turf.

Just my 2 cents.
                          I agree. Plus, keep in mind you want to make seats in the stadium a precious commodity, so you don't want a half-empty stadium most of the time. I say build 16,000 seats now (two grandstands) with some overflow bleacher seating in the south end zone. And a few years down the road go back and fill in the horseshoe.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

Just my 2 cents.
                            I like your vision on everything but the field turf. I'm not saying no to field turf, I'm just not sold on it yet. If the South Endzone is left open for standing room, I would like to see more of a hill added so everybody in SRO could see the field.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I am sorry I can't find any hard core evidence at this time (feel like al gore). anyway, I read in a report years ago when it was fairly new and it stated that the artificial grass has more give to ehir joints when players plant and switch directions. Apparently new studies have surfaced.

Comment

Jacksonville state stadium. Anyone like this setup? Check it out.

http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/cus...lery/PaulSnow/

Comment

Working...
                                X