Coughlin Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coughlin Capacity

While field turf in the future is something to think about, I don't think its too high on the priority list right now. Doesn't make any sense to put that kind of money into fieldturf when we need the fieldhouse and new grandstands more.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      I've been told that the College guys tear the field up twice as much just in warm-ups than the the High School kids do during the whole game.

That being said...with the speed that SDSU has amassed the past few years, I don't think having field turf is as much of a disadvantage as it was back when SDSU was transitioning.

Go Jacks!!
      Well there are two potential scapegoats for why the field looks to be in rough shape.

1. Brookings High playing there and the extra game a week, depending on schedules, tears up the field.

2. The grounds crew not doing a stellar job of taking care of the field. (For the home opener the single crown practice field looked healtheir and greener than the game field.)

Which ever it is the same problem remains, a D-I football team should have a nicer field to play on.

Not singling any one out, but I can not understand why Brookings would not want their own field, by their own school. Why would you want your players to drive across town and then play in front of sparse crowd made even more unnoticable by the size of the stadium. A smaller, more intimate setting would provide a better game experience IMO. If BHS continues to play at CAS that's fine, but I would expect them to pony up their part for improvements to the playing surface.

I also can not understand why, an ag school has such a hard time keeping a football field looking green and well maintained. Maybe I still hold hard feelings for the round-up incident a while back.

Long-term solution that solves both problems and eventually may save a little money is to go with the field-turf. So mark me down as pro-turf. There will still be plenty of advantages and elements to contend with late in the season for us to truly maintain the advantage, ie. cold, wind, rain, snow.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
        I would expect them to pony up their part for improvements to the playing surface.
        I've been told that the BHS contribution was the lighting.

BTW: I'm pro-grass. SDSU didn't lose to Wisconsin-Lacrosse strictly because of the mud.

Comment

Grass. Always grass.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            i've been told that the bhs contribution was the lighting.

Btw: I'm pro-grass. Sdsu didn't lose to wisconsin-lacrosse strictly because of the mud.
            AIEEEEE!!! THE NAME!! THE NAME!!! IT HURTSSSS OUR EARS, PRECIOUS!!!

:d

(Hmm. I can either edit it for all caps, or have the right smiley. Dumb board software. Who picked it, anyway!)
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              AIEEEEE!!! THE NAME!! THE NAME!!! IT HURTSSSS OUR EARS, PRECIOUS!!!
              and bonus points for working in a Lord of the Rings reference........

Comment

SDSU didn't lose to *********** strictly because of the mud.

That's bannable material there isn't it?
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I've been told that the BHS contribution was the lighting.

BTW: I'm pro-grass. SDSU didn't lose to Wisconsin-Lacrosse strictly because of the mud.
                  Agree to disagree on the Turf vs. Grass.

but from what you're saying... it did have a part in the loss not to be mentioned.

The whole BHS and the lights again... if that allows them to play at CAS free of charge till the end of time then so be it.

Sometimes I wish, when they asked me to pay for the lights years ago, I would of had my checkbook on me that day... problem solved

Comment

Theoretically wouldnt we save money in the end by having them put turf in as well as not have to worry about it getting tore up? That would be kinda nice, and dont get me wrong, I LOVE games that are muddy on a grass field, but a turf field is a good recruiting tool as welll. Im sure Im digging up something that has been beat to death already so Ill just shut my trap now
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I'll take poor grass over turf. And outdoor, can't wait for the UofM game even if it's frigid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        While field turf in the future is something to think about, I don't think its too high on the priority list right now. Doesn't make any sense to put that kind of money into fieldturf when we need the fieldhouse and new grandstands more.
                        Can I ask a favor of all of you? I went to give Jacks-02 rep point props for his post and wrote a comment and then clicked negative by accident. Would you kindly show him some love?

I think this post hit the nail on the head!

First, Field turf would cost $1 million at a minimum. Those are dollars the AD needs in any number of places. Second, Field Turf carries a large price tag to maintain as well. Possibly larger than grass. It isn't like you just put the stuff down and that's it. It requires a number of things including anti-bacterial agents to prevent staph and other things.

Personally, I would be okay with turf but would prefer grass. Turf just isn't feasible unless a donor steps up with huge $,$$$,$$$. Hopefully that donor would put that money towards the other facility issues we have. Grass fits our style at SDSU. Turf is for domes and football shouldn't be played in domes!

What I think would look awesome is to do something like Georgia does at their stadium with the hedges around the field. We're an ag school for cryin' out loud. A hedge we can do! There is also landscape design students on campus that could be called upon to make the new place look great.

Oh, and to bring this thread out of drift the stadium should be built for 18,000 people with an opportunity to expand if needed down the road.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I have no dog in this fight so here goes. I played on grass love the smell, the stains, and the bounce etc. Not to disagree too much with Superbunny but the cost of field turf has come down considerably. Our local high school was one of the first in Michigan to put in Field Turf about 10 or so years ago. We replaced it this year due to all the wear at approximately half the price as the original rug. The cost initially was a little over a million, this year it was closer to 500K. Yes there are some maintenence costs but it is still less expensive to maintain than grass. However, I am a traditionalist if it is only going to be used for 10-15 events a year I would take my chances with grass.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                            I have no dog in this fight so here goes. I played on grass love the smell, the stains, and the bounce etc. Not to disagree too much with Superbunny but the cost of field turf has come down considerably. Our local high school was one of the first in Michigan to put in Field Turf about 10 or so years ago. We replaced it this year due to all the wear at approximately half the price as the original rug. The cost initially was a little over a million, this year it was closer to 500K. Yes there are some maintenence costs but it is still less expensive to maintain than grass. However, I am a traditionalist if it is only going to be used for 10-15 events a year I would take my chances with grass.
                            Turf has come a long way. I am for turf when you play multiple games on one field such as SDSU / and the high school. There have been only 4 games played at Coughlin and the field already looks terrible. I wonder if it still goes back to the time when round up was dumped on the field? May go to show just how strong round up is. I support the fact that turf would save money in the long run. Mowing, watering, painting, furtilizer, seeding etc. Certainly some maintenance costs with turf but money to be saved after the initial cost of turf installation.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                              Agree to disagree on the Turf vs. Grass.

but from what you're saying... it did have a part in the loss not to be mentioned.

The whole BHS and the lights again... if that allows them to play at CAS free of charge till the end of time then so be it.

Sometimes I wish, when they asked me to pay for the lights years ago, I would of had my checkbook on me that day... problem solved
                              There is another angle besides the lights. While Heuther Field was being relocated, SDSU played at Bob Shelden Field a City High School Facilty. SDSU can not host a home track meet because of the condition of Sexauer Field. A new track facilty was built at BHS and can now be used by SDSU to host track meets. You can see it from Medary avenue and its a decent facility, so its not about BHS taking advantage of SDSU because the football games are played at SDSU, its about a working arrangement between town and gown that goes beyond football. Gee lets see your checkbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                SDSU can not host a home track meet because of the condition of Sexauer Field.
                                Sexauer field has a condition?

Whatever condition it is, I think it's terminal.

Man, that must've been a cramped football stadium...

Comment

Working...
                                X