Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Band in the stands was great

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
    I am sure you would have a problem if SDSU athletics decided to drop football. Without football the South Dakota State Athletics are the Jackrabbits but without football it won't have the same feeling.
    Not a good analogy. Rather than dropping football, how about if we hired a new coach with a different philosophy... would I still root for the team? Even if the approach is very different? Of course I would. I happen to be a huge fan of Coach Stig, too. But at some point, we'll have a different coach. They'll still be the Jackrabbits. And I'll always root for them. I won't declare Jackrabbit football dead and gone because the next coach runs the spread or implements a 3-4 defense or recruits Oklahoma instead of Arizona.

Or let's consider my job. I really like my boss, Dean Jerry Jorgenson. I like the way he does things. I think he runs the college really well and he treats his employees well, too. I buy into his philosophy (rise above it) and think it's a great way to approach things. When he retires, a new dean will be hired, no doubt with a different philosophy. Will it still be the same? No, but I'll figure out how to adapt and do my best.

Mr. McKinney wasn't the first great band director at SDSU, and he won't be the last. Change is a part of life.

Honestly, I'm not trying to condescend. I'm standing outside of this wondering how anybody with a connection to the history of the organization could run the Pride down and diminish what those students are doing just because the leadership has changed. To me it just doesn't make sense.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

How about "take what's good already, and work to make it even better for everyone--the band, the fans, and even the football program?"
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Not a good analogy. Rather than dropping football, how about if we hired a new coach with a different philosophy... would I still root for the team? Even if the approach is very different? Of course I would. I happen to be a huge fan of Coach Stig, too. But at some point, we'll have a different coach. They'll still be the Jackrabbits. And I'll always root for them. I won't declare Jackrabbit football dead and gone because the next coach runs the spread or implements a 3-4 defense or recruits Oklahoma instead of Arizona.

Or let's consider my job. I really like my boss, Dean Jerry Jorgenson. I like the way he does things. I think he runs the college really well and he treats his employees well, too. I buy into his philosophy (rise above it) and think it's a great way to approach things. When he retires, a new dean will be hired, no doubt with a different philosophy. Will it still be the same? No, but I'll figure out how to adapt and do my best.

Mr. McKinney wasn't the first great band director at SDSU, and he won't be the last. Change is a part of life.

Honestly, I'm not trying to condescend. I'm standing outside of this wondering how anybody with a connection to the history of the organization could run the Pride down and diminish what those students are doing just because the leadership has changed. To me it just doesn't make sense.
        OK I think our arguments are fundamentally different. I would have had a problem if McKinney had started requiring auditions, and I think that is where you missed my analogy. It wasn't that there was a change in leadership it would be a changing of the structure ala removal of basketball or football. The department wouldn't be the same without them and the Pride won't be the same with auditions. Again totally my opinion, and if they do change I will still be there watching the field show at halftime.
        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

OK I think our arguments are fundamentally different. I would have had a problem if McKinney had started requiring auditions, and I think that is where you missed my analogy. It wasn't that there was a change in leadership it would be a changing of the structure ala removal of basketball or football. The department wouldn't be the same without them and the Pride won't be the same with auditions. Again totally my opinion, and if they do change I will still be there watching the field show at halftime.
          I get it. Thanks. Bottom line is we both like what Dr. Peterson is doing regarding making the Pride more pep-band-like at games.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjack View Post
            bottom line is we both like what dr. Peterson is doing regarding making the pride more pep-band-like at games.
            qft!

Comment

Short clip of "The Pride of the Dakotas" at MSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSjUL1Glm88

Comment

Thanks MSU Bear, that was groovy, baby!

Hope you enjoyed the performance.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Man that would be a fun song to play!

Comment

Some discussion on Bear Nation as to which band won. Consensus there, so far, is that the Pride of the Dakotas won the battle, mostly due to the way they play something on every play and generally are into the game more. MSU's flag corps probably took the flag title, though, due to bigger numbers, slicker outfits, flag-tossing.

It sounds to me like MSU has had the same director forever and some fans there are hoping for a change... sounds familiar.

Here's the "Our Band Lost" thread:

http://www.msubearnation.com/forum/s...ad.php?p=66958
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't remember this being mentioned, and I was thinking about this as the Pride played it yesterday....the pregame addition this year of God Bless America was a fantastic idea and the pride really nails it.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

They sounded great on the TV broadcast!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Some discussion on Bear Nation as to which band won. Consensus there, so far, is that the Pride of the Dakotas won the battle, mostly due to the way they play something on every play and generally are into the game more. MSU's flag corps probably took the flag title, though, due to bigger numbers, slicker outfits, flag-tossing.

It sounds to me like MSU has had the same director forever and some fans there are hoping for a change... sounds familiar.

Here's the "Our Band Lost" thread:

http://www.msubearnation.com/forum/s...ad.php?p=66958
                          New director, same great band. However, the change has resulted in a couple of kinks that need to be worked out.

1) Pregame. "Ladies and Gentleman" on the PA and "Ring the Bells" by the band generally overlap. It needs to be synched up better...something that is going to be tought to do. The timing is tricky. It's been a bit clunky at times.

2) Post game. The Pride waits until the team comes over in front of the students to play "Ring the Bells." But the silence between the time the game ends, with shaking hands and whatnot, and the time the players gather is very awkward. They need to start playing something sooner...the fight song or something short. SOMETHING! I suppose they could play "Ring the Bells" right away, then "Yellow and Blue" when the team gathers.

Small stuff. I love the Pride!

I think our flag corps probably need new -- updated -- uniforms.
                          Last edited by JackFan96; 10-25-2009, 07:21 PM.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

The need a victory polka ala Iowa playing "In heaven there is no beer". How about the "She's too fat" polka?

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                              New director, same great band. However, the change has resulted in a couple of kinks that need to be worked out.

1) Pregame. "Ladies and Gentleman" on the PA and "Ring the Bells" by the band generally overlap. It needs to be synched up better...something that is going to be tought to do. The timing is tricky. It's been a bit clunky at times.

2) Post game. The Pride waits until the team comes over in front of the students to play "Ring the Bells." But the silence between the time the game ends, with shaking hands and whatnot, and the time the players gather is very awkward. They need to start playing something sooner...the fight song or something short. SOMETHING! I suppose they could play "Ring the Bells" right away, then "Yellow and Blue" when the team gathers.

Small stuff. I love the Pride!

I think our flag corps probably need new -- updated -- uniforms.
                              Neither of those are on the band. They're game production issues, one intentional and one not.

The band plays the fight song when the team takes off and runs out. The team came out too early this week (and, frankly, every week so far). We need a brave production assistant to stand there and cue the team to run out at the right time. After the game, the script says the Pride is supposed to wait until after the post-game announcements are made to play anything.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The need a victory polka ala Iowa playing "In heaven there is no beer". How about the "She's too fat" polka?
                                Im with that! The "Shes too fat" polka rocks!
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X