New Parking, Traffic, and Tailgating Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Parking, Traffic, and Tailgating Rules

The underage driving issue seems to be the only reason for not having a student's tailgate section. Age 21 is the legal age, and traditional students are more likely to be under that age than over. If you are 21, and a student, you can go and buy your spot and tailgate along with everyone one else and do so in a responsible manner and nothing negative would result. I think if the drinking age was lowered to 18, then we might see a student section, but they would have to purchase their own spot. I dont think any of the student activity fees cover tailgating maybe the cost of the admission to the football game, but they should not cover tailgating in my opinion. It says that tailgating is a social function for fans on game day. I dont see how it is a student right.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      The underage driving issue seems to be the only reason for not having a student's tailgate section. Age 21 is the legal age, and traditional students are more likely to be under that age than over. If you are 21, and a student, you can go and buy your spot and tailgate along with everyone one else and do so in a responsible manner and nothing negative would result. I think if the drinking age was lowered to 18, then we might see a student section, but they would have to purchase their own spot. I dont think any of the student activity fees cover tailgating maybe the cost of the admission to the football game, but they should not cover tailgating in my opinion. It says that tailgating is a social function for fans on game day. I dont see how it is a student right.
      Agreed they can buy a spot, but I never said I thought it was a right. I said I would feel unwelcome as a student. I guess I would recommend that students just tailgate in the housing areas close to campus like at other universities. Have the barbeque in the yard with the bean bags and beers.

As Jackmd said earlier, tailgating has improved attendance significantly.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Unless things have changed a lot since I was a student, I don't see many students putting down $20 to have a tailgate party when there are plenty of rental house backyards where you could do it for free.

I guess we'll see, but it seems to me like there might need to be some additional incentives offered to the students in exchange for that $20. Like everything, if people see that there's value in it, they'll spend the money.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The reason the SA agreed to the $20 was because they orignally were not going to allow students to have vehicles in the student section. This would only make student tailgating a bigger party section imho. Students obviously wouldn't buy a $50 small spot but that was the only way we could get vehicles in. We compromised, got them to give up the wristband idea, and agreed that we could pay $20 to have our spot. One of the catches of this is that they have to be ordered by 5:00pm on the Wed before the game. I think this will be a problem for the first game because we're not sure how to let the off campus students know that there is no more $5 tailgating. The Athletic Dept wouldn't budge on that. We have already begun campaigns to get ahold of the on campus students and let them know. Any suggestions for offcampus students would be greatly appreciated!
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            The reason the SA agreed to the $20 was because they orignally were not going to allow students to have vehicles in the student section. This would only make student tailgating a bigger party section imho. Students obviously wouldn't buy a $50 small spot but that was the only way we could get vehicles in. We compromised, got them to give up the wristband idea, and agreed that we could pay $20 to have our spot. One of the catches of this is that they have to be ordered by 5:00pm on the Wed before the game. I think this will be a problem for the first game because we're not sure how to let the off campus students know that there is no more $5 tailgating. The Athletic Dept wouldn't budge on that. We have already begun campaigns to get ahold of the on campus students and let them know. Any suggestions for offcampus students would be greatly appreciated!
            Go down to Cubby's, the Tap et all and put up posters...

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              Saw this. I actually think this is a poor idea. Just my opinion. I am no longer a student at SDSU, but if I were, I would feel somewhat unwelcome in the tailgate area. I guess students can always tailgate at their houses and such and head to the game before it starts.

I understand nothing stops students from entering by walking and finding a friendly group to tailgate with (or from paying for a spot but not many would do so - I rented a spot in college and tons of people just piled in at my spot) but say we throw a couple thousand students in that way and it could be a mess.

Thoughts?
              As a student, I agree. But I guess we'll have to live with it.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm glad I read this thread tonight since I was unaware of the new policies. I will be getting my tailgating spot tomorrow, so there will be a few more students with all you oldies.

Comment

Originally posted by jackbusiness09 View Post
                  I'm glad I read this thread tonight since I was unaware of the new policies. I will be getting my tailgating spot tomorrow, so there will be a few more students with all you oldies.
                  I'm definitely one of the oldies...but I love having the students in the tailgate area as well (must make me feel young again).

Comment

I would like to bring a tv to watch prior games during tailgating. How well can I pick up ABC/CBS with a digital antenna in Brookings? Is it worth my time?

Comment

The CAS parking map on GoJacks.com still shows a $5 tailgating area west of the road as of today??

Comment

That looks like an older map - I bet they just forgot to change to the new map, cause that appears to be where the $20 spots are now.

By getting a tailgating spot this year, I paid the same amount as I did last year but got double the size and double the parking passes(probably won't use all of them though). I like that they gave the season tailgaters a break - last year it was $75 a game for 6 games, or you could get a season pass for $450 a game - no discount. This year I get double the space for five games at $225. Seems like a great deal to me, although that includes having to pay that $200 donation as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X