Fall Camp Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall Camp Thread

In case you're curious, Mike Whittier played the first series as QB. He was followed by Thomas O'Brien, Lee Mondol and Ryan Crawford, in that order. I'm guessing the playing order wasn't totally random.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      In case you're curious, Mike Whittier played the first series as QB. He was followed by Thomas O'Brien, Lee Mondol and Ryan Crawford, in that order. I'm guessing the playing order wasn't totally random.
      I'd say thats pretty much the order of how well they did too, although it was about a tossup between Whittier and O'Brien in my opinion. O'Brien definitely has the better throwing motion and better looking ball but Whittier seemed to run things pretty well. I think a few of the completions O"Brien made wouldn't have happened with a full rush, he seemed to take more time making the pass than Whittier did. Kind of crazy that we appear to have a freshman and red-shirt vying for the job while the junior and senior seem to be the odd men out.

Comment

Jacks-02 - I think you about nailed it. If a kid can even be judged on poise and control in a setting such as today, then O'Brien had it. I think he's the starting QB when it is announced. He seems to be the kid who rates out highest in all categories needed to be a successful QB. Arm strength is easily the best of the group.

In a setting such as today little can be judged outside of quarterback play.

I was a little dispointed in the turnout. I understand that this was done with little preporation but I am glad...I am THRILLED that Sell sees the need, sees the value in reaching out to Sioux Falls. It is about time and it will only benefit SDSU. The sky is the limit going forward...

I would like to see a FEW of these scrimmages each year in SF. I think it draws attention and it motives the base. I know I sat there today looking forward to 10k in attendance and what the future holds.

The amount of injuries are nearly staggering.....

My early outlook is the offense is only slightly down from last year. I think if the o-line holds up that the weapons are there. I think that O'Brien could possibly end up holding alot of records when it's all said and done. The defense will be much better (and it should be). With a young/new QB I think the offense will be more conservative/ball control and that will/should keep the dee off the field more than last year.

O'Brien is the guy....Crawford is #2....Whittier should redshirt
        Last edited by TeaJackrabbit; 08-29-2009, 01:40 AM.

Comment

If Whittier doesn't win the starting spot I hope the coaches redshirt him, as there is no reason to waste a year of eligibility when you have a Senior and Junior who would be very capable backups. It does seem like it is down to Whittier and O'Brien when listening to people in the know talk about the QB competition.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            I'd say thats pretty much the order of how well they did too, although it was about a tossup between Whittier and O'Brien in my opinion. O'Brien definitely has the better throwing motion and better looking ball but Whittier seemed to run things pretty well. I think a few of the completions O"Brien made wouldn't have happened with a full rush, he seemed to take more time making the pass than Whittier did. Kind of crazy that we appear to have a freshman and red-shirt vying for the job while the junior and senior seem to be the odd men out.
            TV did say O'Brien has had trouble with the pass rush in other practices. I haven't talked to anybody this year who knows anything about the QB battle. Last year I was told that O'Brien needed to mature and that Whittier was very smart and mature for his age. A few comments from Stig (he's said several times this spring that it's not about who has the strongest arm, it's about decision-making) might indicate where the coaches are leaning... or not. Who knows?

Sounds like we might find out who the starter is next week.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I thought the order went Whittier, O'Brien, Crawford, Mondol as they came out. Crawford had the black shirt on and it appeared "14" was under the yellow jersey of the fourth QB which is Mondol's number. This would be a "random order" if you call it that because that is the order of their numbers (2,4,12,14). Not out to argue, that's just how it appeared to me last night.

If that is right, then Mondol's out, Crawford and Whittier are neck and neck, but TOB stood out by far. Granted, as previously discussed, with the non-contact practice it is very hard to tell any poise in the pocket. Those two lasers TOB threw into the notorious Howard Wood wind were by far the most impressive throws of the night.

Liked the couple of swing passes to Minnet out of the backfield. He looks as good as ever, and remember he's only a junior!

Who's the #2 receiver, Steffen? Would have liked have seem more from Rollin. TV has been raving about him, but he really wasn't in on many plays.

Whoever the QB is he has plenty of weapons to throw the ball to with the option of Minnet out of the backfield and Cochart and his soft hands coming off the line and 4 solid receivers. I hope one of the receivers compliments Fox to the degree Fox complimented Jaron last year.

Bring on September 12th!

Comment

I am glad that I don't have to make the decision, but also glad that the coaches do. Personally, I think Whittier is going to get it, but it is so hard to tell from this practice. I am guessing the coaches had specific things they were looking for on almost every play, and that could change a lot of how they were graded.

It was odd watching the offense complete the play while a defensive player stood beside the QB, happened on several plays. I didn't know who was in what order, but that happened a lot more frequently as they went through the progression. Again that could have been because of what the coaches wanted to look at. Sounds like Monday we should know.

It was too bad that the front moved through when it did, 90 minutes later and it would have been awesome. Of course I wasn't down running on the field, so the players may have been thankful for the 15 degree drop.

Did anyone make it to the lunch? (this should be in the other thread, but oh well) I hope they had good turnout.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  I thought the order went Whittier, O'Brien, Crawford, Mondol as they came out. Crawford had the black shirt on and it appeared "14" was under the yellow jersey of the fourth QB which is Mondol's number. This would be a "random order" if you call it that because that is the order of their numbers (2,4,12,14). Not out to argue, that's just how it appeared to me last night.

If that is right, then Mondol's out, Crawford and Whittier are neck and neck, but TOB stood out by far. Granted, as previously discussed, with the non-contact practice it is very hard to tell any poise in the pocket. Those two lasers TOB threw into the notorious Howard Wood wind were by far the most impressive throws of the night.

Liked the couple of swing passes to Minnet out of the backfield. He looks as good as ever, and remember he's only a junior!

Who's the #2 receiver, Steffen? Would have liked have seem more from Rollin. TV has been raving about him, but he really wasn't in on many plays.

Whoever the QB is he has plenty of weapons to throw the ball to with the option of Minnet out of the backfield and Cochart and his soft hands coming off the line and 4 solid receivers. I hope one of the receivers compliments Fox to the degree Fox complimented Jaron last year.

Bring on September 12th!
                  I know it was just one practice, but Montague looked great yesterday, he had quite a few catches. Daughters also had alot of reps at TE with Cochart not practicing and made a few catches.

Comment

Terry mentioned in his article today that Guard Jacob Luddeman gained an extra year for a medical hardship and will only be a Junior this year instead of a senior. Should really help with depth next year since we will only lose three senior lineman instead of four seniors.

Comment

Here is the link to the story about Jacob.
                      http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...16/1002/sports

Comment

I think Whittier will be the starter. That's not based on any inside knowledge. He just appears to be the most versatile and poised. O'Brien has the best arm of the group, no doubt about that, but Whittier isn't far behind in that category either. With an O-line lacking depth, the Jacks QB will need poise and maybe some scrambling ability. ... I might have gotten mixed up on which QB entered the SF scrimmage last. I thought it was Crawford, who had the dark shirt on. Regardless, all four QBs played more than once.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Every quote from the coaches make it seem like O'Brien is out. They keep stating " It's not about who can throw the bomb but who can hit the check down route." Which seems to me like they are saying, "I know the fans like the big arm of O'Brien, but we are going to go with someone who can manage the offense and keep it a ball control oriented team."

Who really knows, I guess we will find out Monday.

Comment

I would be surprised if we didn't see O'Brien. Too much talent to pass up if you ask me. Talking to people around the program, a lot of the guys will be disappointed if he doesn't get the spot.

Comment

Talked to a former USD player who was in Brookings last week. He happened to be passing by CAS when the Jacks were practicing. He HAD to stop and watch. He said he could feel his blood boiling and wanted to get out on the field. Its those feelings that make me want to see the game happen again.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackrabbits! View Post
                                I would be surprised if we didn't see O'Brien. Too much talent to pass up if you ask me. Talking to people around the program, a lot of the guys will be disappointed if he doesn't get the spot.
                                I honestly have no idea who it'll be. Stig and his staff will pick the guy they think gives us the best chance to win. Given that they have forgotten more about football today than I will ever know, I'm ready to support whatever decision they make.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X