2010 Football Recruiting List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Football Recruiting List

Wasn't Ethan Kipili'i supposed to be on a visit this weekend? Maybe others? Anyone confirm this or heard how the visit may have gone?

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
      Wasn't Ethan Kipili'i supposed to be on a visit this weekend? Maybe others? Anyone confirm this or heard how the visit may have gone?
      I think that date must have been a typo because I think the "dead period" was still in affect this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
        I think that date must have been a typo because I think the "dead period" was still in affect this weekend.
        yeah that is what I was thinking, it was either a typo, or an unofficial visit....

Comment

[QUOTE=RabbitinTea;141245]I don't know the kid, but I hope he never wins a game. Sorry mods, couldn't resist.[/QUOTE

Good luck to Mr Jelsma. Why would someone want to walk on when they can have it paid for. Only an idiot would turn it down. Im guessing there wont be any more SD athletes signed. All the others have offers from other schools and are pretty sick of waiting to hear something. Thats the down turn of going D1, very very few SD athletes will get the chance. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by 2o1o View Post
            ....Thats the down turn of going D1, very very few SD athletes will get the chance. Oh well.
            Not so. See the thread "Commits for 2010" and in particular, a post by JimmyJack giving the head-count of SD and adjacent state members on the roster.

Comment

Good luck to Mr Jelsma. Why would someone want to walk on when they can have it paid for. Only an idiot would turn it down. Im guessing there wont be any more SD athletes signed. All the others have offers from other schools and are pretty sick of waiting to hear something. Thats the down turn of going D1, very very few SD athletes will get the chance. Oh well.
              Get a chance at what? Playing D1 sports? Now that SDSU is division 1, more SD athletes have the oppurtunity to participate in Division 1 sports. Before we moved up, very few had the oppurtunity.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Very few will get the chance of playing for SDSU. SDSU looks in KS, AZ, CA,MN and WI and the such for talent. THey are getting away from SD. Very few will get the chance to suit up at. Unless you are a Sumner type.

Comment

[QUOTE=2o1o;141497]
                  Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                  I don't know the kid, but I hope he never wins a game. Sorry mods, couldn't resist.[/QUOTE

I believe the word was that we were likely to sign a kicker from South Dakota.

Comment

Very few will get the chance of playing for SDSU. SDSU looks in KS, AZ, CA,MN and WI and the such for talent. THey are getting away from SD. Very few will get the chance to suit up at. Unless you are a Sumner type.

Thanks for clarifying, and welcome to the board.

This debate has taken place before, so I hate to rehash, but we have some new posters. With the move to Division I, athletes from SD have gained more oppurtunity to demonstrate their skills at the D1 level. Look Kjerstad, Harris, Thompson, the Steffens, Tyrel Kool, and many others. And that is just football.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

where did the 4 kickers from sd hs go yet??

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        Thanks for clarifying, and welcome to the board.

This debate has taken place before, so I hate to rehash, but we have some new posters. With the move to Division I, athletes from SD have gained more oppurtunity to demonstrate their skills at the D1 level. Look Kjerstad, Harris, Thompson, the Steffens, Tyrel Kool, and many others. And that is just football.
                        I agree that SDSU still has great in state players and all of that.... I think what some people are upset about is you won't see that class where 15 in state recruits.... However what some people fail to remember about those classes is over half of them had either quit or transferred by the time they were sophomores.... what I think will upset even more is what I said previously about USD and UND going D-I will really hurt the walk-on program at SDSU.... many instate recruits who in the past would walk-on and try to earn a scholarship at SDSU will go to USD because they are offering one right away....

Comment

Welcome aboard 2o1o;

If you are recognizing the playing chances of SD kids as a developing trend, then that could be a positive in that the SD kids will have to work harder to be walk on's. What comes to mind is UNL. Since Bob DeVaney rebuilt the UNL program in the 1960's, kids in Nebraska have had to work hard to make it as a walk on. I don't know where the Nebraska Walk on program is under Pelani, but if flourished under Osborne and Solich. Something similar could develope in SD and that may not be all bad. The SD kids will have to weigh what is most important for them in terms of education goals, an education of a specific major offered by SDSU, or a chance to hit the ground playing elsewhere such as USF or Augie or even Dakota State. I think its hard to generalize here but for now SD kids seem to find their way to football scholarship money. ie Kjerstad is a prime example. I recall he was signed on letter of intent day, but do not know if he got a full ride right off the bat. He did however prove to Coach Stig that he deserved to be in his program. Others in the future will be given a chance to do the same.

I for one would not want our program be an 9 man all star team just to recruit SD kids, but our staff needs to grab the best they can that are out there and where they live becomes very secondary.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 01-05-2010, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Taylor Hauser RB has an offer for preferred walk on from SDSU. http://wissports.net/sports/football...113&id=1108468

Comment

You guys all make great points. However, I'm gonna disagree with you JoeBoo. You said something about the years of 15 in state kids and how over half of them end of quitting or transferring. Look at the kids that we've brought from out of state. Those kids are just as likely to quit for reasons such as being homesick, the cold weather, and other reasons. I've taken some hits on here for my opinion but I wouldn't feel so strong about in state kids if I didn't see potential and talent. I just feel that it is sad that Coach Stig is saying that there is only one kid in South Dakota that is good enough for the team that he wants to be "South Dakota's team"

Comment

Originally posted by lakecojack View Post
                                You guys all make great points. However, I'm gonna disagree with you JoeBoo. You said something about the years of 15 in state kids and how over half of them end of quitting or transferring. Look at the kids that we've brought from out of state. Those kids are just as likely to quit for reasons such as being homesick, the cold weather, and other reasons. I've taken some hits on here for my opinion but I wouldn't feel so strong about in state kids if I didn't see potential and talent. I just feel that it is sad that Coach Stig is saying that there is only one kid in South Dakota that is good enough for the team that he wants to be "South Dakota's team"
                                There is talent in South Dakota high school football. But 99% of that talent isn't DI scholarship level yet. Give it a couple years of having 2 DI programs in the state and you will start to see the level of talent increase and players around the state start to see what they have to do first hand.

In the past, to a certain extent, a kid going to Division 1 in any sport was big news to the state. This shouldn't change just to see in-state kids on the roster. Let the talent level rise to our program's standards.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X