QB Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: QB Situation

Because of his athletic ability and questions about the depth of the Jacks' o-line, I'm guessing Whittier will start. Judging solely from the spring game, that guy can move. He can pass, too. Nothing wrong with O'Brien though. He can certainly throw. I'm not sure why Mondol, the juco transfer, gets shortchanged in the quarterback speculation. He's got more experience than any of the candidates and seems to keep his cool. Throw Crawford into this year's mix and Loetzer and others into the future mix, and the Jacks are sitting good.
    This space for lease.

Comment

I have to disagree with the Whittier can throw statement. He did not throw one ball over 10 yards and has very little velocity on his "outs" throws. 15-30 yard puts will be hard for him as well as the 25-40 down the middle splitting the defense. However, he can move well and he's got that going for him. I think he be a good slot reciever with good size. It really depends on what kind of offense they want to run.

Comment

Well maybe we should just have a fall camp and let the staff evaluate and and then let them decide who their starting QB should be. If you guys can figure it out so well after one spring game, maybe we got the wrong people working on the football staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Well maybe we should just have a fall camp and let the staff evaluate and and then let them decide who their starting QB should be. If you guys can figure it out so well after one spring game, maybe we got the wrong people working on the football staff.
          o come on.... Don't you know the point of fanboards? they are to second and 3rd guess the coaching staff on the 3 hours a week we see the players compared to the 15+ hours a week the coaches see them...

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            o come on.... Don't you know the point of fanboards? they are to second and 3rd guess the coaching staff on the 3 hours a week we see the players compared to the 15+ hours a week the coaches see them...
            What? You actually have to see them before second-guessing the players and coaches? When did that rule pass?
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I have had several opportunities to see the guys practice. They've been out practicing every week- 7 on 7, running routes etc. . So there has been plenty of time for those of us that live near campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Buzzkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
                  I have had several opportunities to see the guys practice. They've been out practicing every week- 7 on 7, running routes etc. . So there has been plenty of time for those of us that live near campus.
                  I appreciate the opinions of those who have the opportunity to watch some of the practices. Keep the comments coming. I trust our coaches to make the decision that they feel is right but that shouldn't prevent others from keeping us informed with their opinions.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well it appears I am a buzzkiller. Sorry about that but it was not my intend to squelch opinion. I dont think anyone will argue that the Staff has a tough choice to make in choosing one of the four candidates. Its a good choice to have, but one that imo is very hard to second guess. So if you got it all figured out good for you. I see no need to apologize for being a buzzkiller because I implied that you had more football wisdom than the coaching staff. You know who you are and thanks for the negs. Also thanks to those who gave me positive points.

I regret not being at the spring game, but from past expirence its not unusual to come away from these games with warm and fuzzy feelings about certain performances by certain people only to see them fall flat during the regular season against regular competition.

So express your opinions if you like but does that mean they are gospel even though you live close to campus and hav three hours a day to waste watching them? I think these opinions deserve scrunity too. So shoot away. I really dont think I am being a buzzkiller here.

I believe JoeBoo brought up OBien's inability to read defenses. Is this a problem? Those who know should be able to answer that question.

Comment

Just to clear up some confusion. Practice does start on Friday, August 14.

Based on what I saw at the Spring Game, O'Brien played the best, but we, the fans, didn't see every practice. Watching O'Brien at the spring game reminded me of Brett Favre. Strong arm, a lot of velocity, but the gunslinger attitude will mean that he will throw more interceptions due to trying to thread the needle. At the end of day, I trust the coaches will make the right decision for the program and its future. This QB Competition is good to have, unlike the Vikings QB Competition, where you don't want any QB to win it.

Comment

O'Brien played very well. He ready the defenses very well. Whittier played good too

Comment

Jackman nailed it. O'Brien does have that gunslinger instinct. People may get that confused for different things but the coaches are more concerned with his aggressiveness. Brett Favre had the same approach, and no matter your opinion, had a great career with that same type of aggressiveness. I found his aggressiveness and confidence impressive, especially as a freshman. Yes, that could lead to some lost sleep by coaches, and fans alike. But, I believe if Jackrabbit fans have hopes of championships we need to ride out and develop the most talented QB we have. I don't see us coasting to Tennessee with conservative play... Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by gojackrabbits! View Post
                            Jackman nailed it. O'Brien does have that gunslinger instinct. People may get that confused for different things but the coaches are more concerned with his aggressiveness. Brett Favre had the same approach, and no matter your opinion, had a great career with that same type of aggressiveness. I found his aggressiveness and confidence impressive, especially as a freshman. Yes, that could lead to some lost sleep by coaches, and fans alike. But, I believe if Jackrabbit fans have hopes of championships we need to ride out and develop the most talented QB we have. I don't see us coasting to Tennessee with conservative play... Do you?
                            I would hope not. Barry was a good QB and has a bright future after football, and for that I am glad. He earned his education the hard way on the field.

I never want to see our QB sacked 10 times like in the Cal Poly game ever again. Sure lets blame the O line for not holding their blocks, but a good scrambling and mobile QB could have made something out of these plays. This is the kind of QB I hope OBrien and others are capable of being that will take us to a higher level. Conservative play sometimes is good, but not always such as going for a FG instead of TD in Winona Minnesota. I was there and was not a happy camper all the way home to Nebraska, where I lived at the time. If thats what you mean by conservative play well I dont want that either. If conservative means short passes, its depends on what the other Defense will give us. The bottom line is good game plans, and thats what has made SDSU better than 500 the last few season.

Comment

I'm not talking about FG gaol decisions. I'm talking about our QB being able to make plays. And make plays DOWNFIELD. I can't see us competing with the best teams in the nation with a QB that can't stretch defenses and put pressure on secondaries. We have a solid defense and running backs, but in order to truly compete we need a QB someone that is going to give opposing D-Coordinators headaches. Sure it's OK to sit above .500 every year, but i'd rather see a more aggressive attitude! I'm tired of seeing UNI and NDSU on ESPN...

Comment

Again I will state that I have only seen Crawford's play from last year, but I think some of the comparisons are getting a bit stretched out here. If you want to use Favre's gunslinging attitude as a guide, could someone say that maybe one of the others is like Joe Montana? He definitely couldn't throw the ball as hard as Favre, but he had a fair career. It was often said that Montana's best physical weapon he had was his brain. IF we have the next Favre or Montana it definitely will be a good couple of years. I don't think we have either of those, but think we are going to have a couple of good years any way.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X