X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Out of Conference Schedule

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    It was also Hobo Day.

And you're right. SDSU has never played Austin Peay. Must have gotten them confused with SFA and NDSU's games against them.
    Kind of enhances my point, people come for the event and not the opponent, so playing USD or GA Southern versus SFA or Austin Peay really doesn't matter right now to our fair weather fan base.

We had about 400 less fans the week before SFA on Hobo Day to watch a mediocre Texas St. team. There have also been a handful of September and early October games against relatively unknown opponents that have drawn in the 13000-14000 range, or more than the last couple handfuls of USD games. Like I said before, at this point our attendance is more dependent on the date, weather, or event (Hobo Day, Beef Bowl, etc.) versus the opponent.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Meh. You may have a point there.

Have to pull the ol' Red Green thing and promise good weather on every weekend (when pressed to explain, Red says that "if the weather's nice, we'll declare it a Saturday.")

Comment

If Jacks have a late date available for OOC, schedule USD @ Coughlin. Bring in a better than average Nov. crowd.

We should be trying to get more home/home with OVC/Southland/Big Sky (-MT/MT St)

We really should get our ex NCC mate, UNC back on the schedule.

However, IF we win vs. GA Southern & Poly this year, I think if we're on the bubble, we get selected vs a 5th CAA or 4th SoCon. This assumes that we end up in the top three of MVFC. But if we're 8-3, and all three losses are MoValley and we're a game back of 6-2 co-champs, I say we still go to play-offs.

Much better than an 8-3 SIU or 8-3 NDSU.

Comment

Don't the Montana schools hate home and homes? Or is that more memory problems on my end.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Don't the Montana schools hate home and homes? Or is that more memory problems on my end.
            They love them when they sign the contract, that's for sure.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
              They love them when they sign the contract, that's for sure.
              Especially 2 for 1, play both there, then buy out return trip.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                SDSU vs. USD = guaranteed big crowd, $$$, rivalry resumed, and a winnable game that counts toward postseason. Win, win, win, win.
                Normally NoVaJack and I are on opposite pages, but he nailed this one down good. I have said from the start that playing USD makes more sense for you than any other school in the country. I am reasonably sure that USD would probably play the first two games in Brookings (one with a guaranty, the 2nd not) and go home and home after that. SDSU would not get a guaranty the year they played USD in Vermillion, but USD wouldn't get a guaranty the years they played in Brookings. Both venues would produce large gates.

The rivalry portion of his statement is true, but one that most SDSU fans don't want. I am not speaking from the USD perspective, but rather from the general "state of South Dakota" sports fan, and that this rivalry being renewed is a given. The only question is the starting date.

USD is a winnable game for you, but also loseable. This isn't smack talking, but I am saying that if USD's defense improves somewhat this year, it would be a ball game. Stopping South Dakota's offensive is a major chore for opponents. The comparable game from a year ago is UNI, and by head to head, I believe USD actually fared better, but it was close. I don't say it is an automatic win for either team.

What I am surprised at in this thread is how many people would rather play the University of Stink and get a win and make the playoffs, rather than play a formidable FCS opponent and risk the loss. This deosn't sound like the Jacks fans I have been reading for the past year. I would have thought most jacks fans would say we are D-I FCS now, so let's play D-I FCS teams only or BCS teams. This is a shift in attitudes.

I think your schedule should look like this:

MVC: 8 games
                BCS: 1 game
                USD: 1 game
                FCS: 1 game

Someone made the point that it is hard to predict in 2-3 years how good someone will be. That is an excellent point. Look at SDSU. Last year you had a very good team. You did excellent in the MVC, but 3 years ago you would have looked like a cupcake. So when you schedule in advance you really are at risk of playing a "planned opponent".

Just play the game the way it was meant to be. I want yout o get better, and I want you to play well. That way if we play you and do well, we know how we measure against some of the best in FCS. I personally think we play with you now, but I might be wrong.

Have a good fall Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  If Jacks have a late date available for OOC, schedule USD @ Coughlin. Bring in a better than average Nov. crowd.

We should be trying to get more home/home with OVC/Southland/Big Sky (-MT/MT St)

We really should get our ex NCC mate, UNC back on the schedule.

However, IF we win vs. GA Southern & Poly this year, I think if we're on the bubble, we get selected vs a 5th CAA or 4th SoCon. This assumes that we end up in the top three of MVFC. But if we're 8-3, and all three losses are MoValley and we're a game back of 6-2 co-champs, I say we still go to play-offs.

Much better than an 8-3 SIU or 8-3 NDSU.
                  I can't see any way that SDSU beats Minnesota so that has to be 1 loss.

An 8-3 MVFC team almost has to make the playoffs, unless of course the team schedules a DII-DIII team and another complete cupcake as part of the non-conference schedule.

I think the Poly game is very winnable for you guys. They will be very down this year compared to last year, IMO though. I could see them being a 4-6 loss team.

Georgia Southern will be a good game. Definately a big test to start the season.

Comment

yoteforever is correct USD would not be a cupcake game. But I still feel it is about time SDSU starts scheduling them again.

What about meeting in SF for the game every year. It could turn into a pretty big event. SDSU and USD could split the gate 50/50. The only problem would be if they get rid of Howard Wood field. Some big 12 schools do this Texas vs Oklahoma, Missouri vs Kansas, right?

I would hate to lose a game at CAS. But I think they could still work out the scheduling so we would have 5-6 games at CAS per year.

Comment

Originally posted by turkeybacon View Post
                      yoteforever is correct USD would not be a cupcake game. But I still feel it is about time SDSU starts scheduling them again.

What about meeting in SF for the game every year. It could turn into a pretty big event. SDSU and USD could split the gate 50/50. The only problem would be if they get rid of Howard Wood field. Some big 12 schools do this Texas vs Oklahoma, Missouri vs Kansas, right?

I would hate to lose a game at CAS. But I think they could still work out the scheduling so we would have 5-6 games at CAS per year.
                      Why schedule the game at Howard Wood with a 10k capacity rather than play in Brookings where you can hold 15k? How do you explain to all of your local businesses that support your team in sponsorships and ticket sales that you are taking that big crowd to Sioux Falls every year? How would we still get 5-6 homes games per year after playing USD in Sioux Falls when we have an 11 game schedule and 5 games are already gauranteed to be on the road with 4 conference games and 1 FBS game? The only way that is possible is to never play an out of conference away game, which isn't going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by turkeybacon View Post

For starters, Howard Wood has a capacity of around 10K vs. 15K at CAS. 5,000 x $20 is $100,000 in lost revenue. Second, with the tractk, Howard Wood is a terrible place to watch a game. The game will be scheduled when it makes sense for the two universities not before.

Comment

And I don't know that SF could support a bigger football stadium.

SDSU & USD don't have the money or the fan support or the venue to make a neutral site game work (Mizzou/Kansas is neutral site, as is Texas/Oklahoma, and Colorado/Colorado State).

I mean if you could count on selling 25-30k tickets to see SDSU/USD in Sioux Falls, yeah, by all means play the game in Sioux Falls, but when you're looking at the same attendance numbers as at the Dome, and less than what's achievable on a "days like this were made for football" Saturday afternoon at CAS.....

Comment

Coach Meierkort just said on the argus leader sports web, that USD would travel to Brookings two years in a row to makes the happen. Both have open dates. SD State get this scheduled!

Comment

Originally posted by coachwatch View Post
                              Coach Meierkort just said on the argus leader sports web, that USD would travel to Brookings two years in a row to makes the happen. Both have open dates. SD State get this scheduled!
                              Of course he would say that because they are having a heck of a time getting a decent full schedule put together. (Could only get 10 games scheduled this year). That will be a continuing problem for them until the Great West either expands or they get into another conference. State on the other hand has a full dance card with its conference schedule (8 games) one BCS money game per year, leaving only two games for OOC and those two games have to be carefully thought out from the perspective of doing whats needed to get the Jacks in the playoffs. When that works out for Jacks they will play not before.

Comment

Playing USD every other year or so would be plenty often, unless the Coyotes manage to get into the MVC. Then an annual game would have real meaning as a conference game. ... If USD winds up as a permanent member of the Great West of gets into the Big Sky or some other conference, the Coyotes probably won't want to play the Jacks every year either.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X