Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quarter Backs Coach leaving SDSU

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    That being said: ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL???????
    Yes!
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Although I am a USD fan, the comment I am about to make doesn't mean to agitate or make fun of the situation. When a coach leaves this close to the season, there is probably a very high percentage rate that the cause for the departure is bickering or in house fighting.

If a coach was endeared toward a program or to the head coach himself, there is little chance he would opt to leave right now. I will almost bet that before it is all said and done, there will be something that comes out that gives the real reason why he left.

Truthfully, I am sorry it happened to your squad. They deserve better. And thus far, I applaud both coaches for not taking it public, or airing out "dirty laundry" in the press. Coach Stig will adjust and make do, but be assured, your program was hurt, and it might show up early this season. Maybe not, and I hope not, but I think it will.

Wow! At first reading I thought I was logged into CNN or FOX. Making the news vs reporting it. The only thing factual here is that the real reason for stepping down will follow. Yes, it will hurt the program. Likely the biggest QB battle the Jacks have had for years and the QB choice moves on. Bad timing.

YEEEEEEEEEEES! Iam ready for some football!

GBGBGJ

Comment

Although I am a USD fan, the comment I am about to make doesn't mean to agitate or make fun of the situation. When a coach leaves this close to the season, there is probably a very high percentage rate that the cause for the departure is bickering or in house fighting.

If a coach was endeared toward a program or to the head coach himself, there is little chance he would opt to leave right now. I will almost bet that before it is all said and done, there will be something that comes out that gives the real reason why he left.

Truthfully, I am sorry it happened to your squad. They deserve better. And thus far, I applaud both coaches for not taking it public, or airing out "dirty laundry" in the press. Coach Stig will adjust and make do, but be assured, your program was hurt, and it might show up early this season. Maybe not, and I hope not, but I think it will.

This argument is so thin it makes your typical straw man look like George Foreman.

You saying that "If a coach was endeared toward a program or to the head coach himself, there is little chance he would opt to leave right now.." is no more intrinsically true than the following statement: "If a coach earning $40,000 a year gets a business offer that would double (or triple) his family's income, he would be a fool to turn down such offer even though he would feel bad for leaving at this inopportune time."

You'd "almost bet" a "real reason" will come out? Rank speculation isn't enough - you gotta hedge the speculation?

If you're going to come here to stir... at least bring a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          This argument is so thin it makes your typical straw man look like George Foreman.

You saying that "If a coach was endeared toward a program or to the head coach himself, there is little chance he would opt to leave right now.." is no more intrinsically true than the following statement: "If a coach earning $40,000 a year gets a business offer that would double (or triple) his family's income, he would be a fool to turn down such offer even though he would feel bad for leaving at this inopportune time."

You'd "almost bet" a "real reason" will come out? Rank speculation isn't enough - you gotta hedge the speculation?

If you're going to come here to stir... at least bring a straw.
          Wow NoVa, chill out. First of all, I didn't come in here to "stir" as you suggest. I have a history of posting on your page that debates issues, not smacks the Jacks. When Nidaros posted to my quote, I responded back by saying ok, fair enough. You make it sound like I am trying to cause total disheavel amongst State fans. I merely made a point, and I guess it was made out of how I do business.

You have to agree that him leaving now does hurt your team. In other words, he put a part of your season at risk, whether you like that fact or not. If indeed contract renewals are June 30th, and as someone posted that if Coach Stig had a problem, there wouldn't have been a renewal. That's a fair comment. But for you to believe that "out of the blue sky" dropped this one in a lifetime chance between June 30th and July 17th, then you my firend are naive. It is my GUESS that Coach Bailey knew about this opportunity and didn't share it with Stig. If he indeed left for "greener business pastures", that's great, grand and wonderful. More power to him. I am merely suggesting that if he had the charecter I would want in a coach, I wouldn't jump ship at this point in time. I would feel obligated to my head coach, the players, and the fans of SDSU. I have a hard time believing this "golden opportunity" wouldn't be there in November or December given the cirrcumstances.

How many "golden opportunities" are out there in this business enviroment today? I suggest not many. So eith Coach Bailey is a fortunate man (and that is what most posters on here are saying) or he is using that as an excuse. I hope for your sake it is an opportunity that he just couldn't pass up, or wait 5 months for. If not, then I suggest something else is wrong.

I didn't come here to smack or poke fun. Quite the opposite. I have made friendships on here, and as I have said in the past, I cheer for State when not playing the U. Just don't have blinders on, that's all I am saying.

Lastly, what is this opportunity Coach Bailey took advantage of? Does anyone know? I would think it would be out by now.

Comment

I don't have any comment on Coach Bailey leaving and won't until I have a chance to ask Coach Stig. It isn't important to me and Coach doesn't need some alum bothering him about it while he is trying to get a team ready to compete for a conference title and make the playoffs. I expect that the team and other coaches know the reasons and that's good enough for me.

I heard the concerns when we made this hire and I must admit I was a little surprised when it seemed that he was staying for another year after the success Berry had under his guidance and the recruitment of QB's this year. Would it be better if he had left sooner or not at all? Obviously but discussing it here or wishing it away isn't doing anybody any good. I suggest we ignore those not truly interested in the success of our FB program and stay focused on the challenges of the season ahead.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Thank you Doctor!

Comment

But for you to believe that "out of the blue sky" dropped this one in a lifetime chance between June 30th and July 17th, then you my firend are naive.
                There's your straw-man again. Setting up this business opportunity as 'once in a lifetime' and 'out of the blue sky' is ridiculous.

To the actual question: Is it plausible that something changed between the 30th & 17th? Yes. Did it change? There's no way of knowing. None of the parties involved need to answer to you or anyone else so wholly unconnected to the situation. Moreover, Stig probably won't say a thing about it.

You're being naive by asserting that nothing ever changes quickly. Things change quickly all the time.

How long does it take to have a heart attack?
                Lastly, what is this opportunity Coach Bailey took advantage of? Does anyone know? I would think it would be out by now.
                What does it matter? What does anyone on this board need to know that for? Even if you claim some right to know his doings as a public employee, he's a private citizen now and what he does is his business.

Comment

But for you to believe that "out of the blue sky" dropped this one in a lifetime chance between June 30th and July 17th, then you my firend are naive.

How many "golden opportunities" are out there in this business enviroment today?
                  First, I agree that you have made many non-smack posts and that you have been a positive addition to the board. However, I think these comments would reflect your naivety on how things can change very quickly and what once would have been a nice opportunity becomes a can't pass up opportunity. One of many such things is a medical diagnosis for yourself or a family member.

We went through this with the birth of one of our children. All the hopes and expectations in one minute, to serious concern over her and my wife's health. Within about 8 hours of her birth, we were sitting with the social worker and financial representative being told that the expected procedures that she would need in the next 3 months would like expend over 80% of her lifetime benefits under our insurance and that she would need continuing care throughout her life, but what levels would depend on the outcomes of the other procedures.

You think a job offer that would give you a 5% raise doesn't all of a sudden look a lot better than it did 2 days ago and would be something "too good to pass up?" It would have been for me. Now I don't know anything about why Coach Bailey left, but the point is neither do you and making statements that there had to be more if nothing else comes out is "naive."

Does it hurt the program, I'll say yes if for no other reason that there is one less person to spread the work load across. Somehow I don't think the head coach of any FCS team has a couple hours every day during the season wondering what else there is for him to do. But I don't think that means there had to be anything wrong between the coaches.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Bad timing, definately.

For anyone to say here that it doesn't matter or there's no need for anyone to know where he's going is ridiculous. Members of this board are notorious for trying to figure out every little nuiance of why things happen with the athletic department (see any thread on Fred Oien from this spring).

Do I care? Not one bit. Never met the man and never will. Does this happen in college athletics...all the time. Will Stig make adjustments...most definately. Will more come out on this...absolutely. Maybe not from SDSU or any official announcement, but someone will find out something and it will find it's way onto the board. That's almost as certain as death and taxes.

someone was kind enough to give me rep points for this post I made when he was hired. Profecy?
                    Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                    Looking at the guy's track record I don't think he'll be on staff by Christmas last year. I've seen it in the past. We had a GA when I played that came on in January and was gone by April. Some coaches do that. They look for jobs to help them get the next best job. SDSU is a good stepping stone if the Jacks have a good season next year. Do I hope he's a good addition and sticks around, yes. Do I think he will, no.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Watch your ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

This has to be the best signature on this messaage board.

I only hope we can shore up the holes left by Coach Bailey's departure. Football coaching is an occupation, its not bondage, so I think we can conclude he freely left for another opportunity, and there are opportunities out there. Recession or no recession if you have the skills that the hiring employers seeks, you get a job and it might be more salary than the old job.

Call me stupid, but I took a pay cut to enter the Federal Service but the long run affect was that I was earning nearly double what I would have earned if I had stayed with my old job. Yes I became a high paid burearucrat and I have no regrets. Thanks tax payers. I really enjoyed my job.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        First, I agree that you have made many non-smack posts and that you have been a positive addition to the board. However, I think these comments would reflect your naivety on how things can change very quickly and what once would have been a nice opportunity becomes a can't pass up opportunity. One of many such things is a medical diagnosis for yourself or a family member.

We went through this with the birth of one of our children. All the hopes and expectations in one minute, to serious concern over her and my wife's health. Within about 8 hours of her birth, we were sitting with the social worker and financial representative being told that the expected procedures that she would need in the next 3 months would like expend over 80% of her lifetime benefits under our insurance and that she would need continuing care throughout her life, but what levels would depend on the outcomes of the other procedures.

You think a job offer that would give you a 5% raise doesn't all of a sudden look a lot better than it did 2 days ago and would be something "too good to pass up?" It would have been for me. Now I don't know anything about why Coach Bailey left, but the point is neither do you and making statements that there had to be more if nothing else comes out is "naive."

Does it hurt the program, I'll say yes if for no other reason that there is one less person to spread the work load across. Somehow I don't think the head coach of any FCS team has a couple hours every day during the season wondering what else there is for him to do. But I don't think that means there had to be anything wrong between the coaches.
                        I am far from naive 1stRow, but I understand your post. I'll back off, and in truth, I wasn't trying to start anything. I want you guys to win. For the most part my point was mistaken, but that's what happens when you can't explain in person.

I have been in business way to long to be naive, and I know things change, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the board, withdraw my comments (as they weren't made to be negative) and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Watch your ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

This has to be the best signature on this messaage board.

I only hope we can shore up the holes left by Coach Bailey's departure. Football coaching is an occupation, its not bondage, so I think we can conclude he freely left for another opportunity, and there are opportunities out there. Recession or no recession if you have the skills that the hiring employers seeks, you get a job and it might be more salary than the old job.

Call me stupid, but I took a pay cut to enter the Federal Service but the long run affect was that I was earning nearly double what I would have earned if I had stayed with my old job. Yes I became a high paid burearucrat and I have no regrets. Thanks tax payers. I really enjoyed my job.
                          That's funny. I am glad you did enjoy your job. I am all to happy to be part of the taxpaying group that funded your position.

Comment

I've made this comment before on a different thread last year, but YFE is a Coyote fan who is OK IMHO and I believe he didn't intend any smack. Having said that, TV stated in his Thursday blog that Bailey had an excellent business opportunity near his home area, and that he had to take it before the season or he wouldn't get it. I belive Terry has an inside track on the situation and we can all just move on...to the question of what Stig and the staff will do with this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              I've made this comment before on a different thread last year, but YFE is a Coyote fan who is OK IMHO and I believe he didn't intend any smack. Having said that, TV stated in his Thursday blog that Bailey had an excellent business opportunity near his home area, and that he had to take it before the season or he wouldn't get it. I belive Terry has an inside track on the situation and we can all just move on...to the question of what Stig and the staff will do with this situation.
                              TV did mention in his chat that there might be some developments on the situation forthcoming.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                TV did mention in his chat that there might be some developments on the situation forthcoming.
                                I read TV Live chat replay and observed those comments as well. I think Mr Sells wants a MVC in his first year if it is in reach and that it is this year, so no doubt he is see what he can do for Stig at this point in time. This is a good sign. I have no clue what TV was talking about, but its worthy for Jack Fans happiness and we will soon find out.

Comment

Working...
                                X