X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info from a Gopher Fan

A few FYI's to Jackrabbit fans about the November 14 game:

1) Welcome, from a Gophers fan!

2) The "Cedar-Riverside" stop on the light rail line is about 2 1/2 blocks from the West Bank of the U of M campus. There are a bunch of football parking and tailgating lots on the west bank and there will be regular (every 7 - 10 minutes) shuttle busses to the stadium on the east bank (about 1/2 mile away).

3) The stadium will be sold out (other than maybe a few single seats or "obstructed view" seats).

4) There are 3,000 visitors tickets that the U provides to the visiting school's ticket office. They have to return unsold tickets by a certain date (when?). The visitors sections are shown in green in the seating chart below:

5) Of all the home games in the new stadium in 2009, this should be one that would have the most tickets available from ticket brokers, etc. If you are looking for tickets, you could post your request on the Gopherhole (our largest forum). Here is the link: http://boards.gopherhole.com/boards/...isplay.php?f=2

6) There are a lot of great pre-game activities, including our phenominal band marhing into the stadium an hour before kickoff and the players "Victory Walk" into the stdium an hour before that. I would definately suggest arriving early.

7) The stadium is AWESOME!

And finally, I will be posting again about a month before the game if anyone is looking for restaurant suggestions, etc.

You'll find that we are pretty friendly to the opposing fans (unless they are from Iowa or Wisconsin), so I'm sure those of you who make the trip will have a great time.

Go Gophers!

Re: Info from a Gopher Fan

Thank you for the information Go Gophers Rah.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Growing up in Minnesota, I've been a Gophers fan my whole life (except two days in 2006 and 2007). I've had 11/14 marked on my calendar and I'm hoping to make this game as a Gophers fan

Comment

Any thoughts on what time the SDSU/Minnesota game might start, gang? Anybody want to float an over/under? I expect it will be early, perhaps as early as 11 a.m. That's just my hunch as it's not unusual for the Gophs to play that early. Or at least it hasn't been in the past. That's too early in my world, but I don't get a vote. Anyhow, I don't think it will be an evening or night game. And I say that because I see Minnesota has a men's hockey game that night, and perhaps the university wouldn't want two big sporting events to overlap. Ready...discuss.
        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
          Any thoughts on what time the SDSU/Minnesota game might start, gang? Anybody want to float an over/under? I expect it will be early, perhaps as early as 11 a.m. That's just my hunch as it's not unusual for the Gophs to play that early. Or at least it hasn't been in the past. That's too early in my world, but I don't get a vote. Anyhow, I don't think it will be an evening or night game. And I say that because I see Minnesota has a men's hockey game that night, and perhaps the university wouldn't want two big sporting events to overlap. Ready...discuss.
          I can definitely see that happening as most Big Ten games are played at 12PM EST/11AM Central time. Granted, there are some aberrations, but most games are played then it seems.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

the tickets through the SDSU office for vistor fans are being able to buy on sept 1? this correct?

Comment

Can't wait for this game. Got an e-mail yesterday that approved my request for a press pass so I will be there but will miss out on the pre-game festivities.

Comment

My opinion is the visitor seating is crap. I agree with the way ISU did it with all of the visiting fans getting a section or two on the side of the endzone. Not sure how other BCS stadiums do it, but ISU is the right way.

Comment

The Huskers have a few sections between the endzone and the 10-yardline on theopposing team's side of the field. Sections 21 and 22 in the link below.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/fl...?DB_OEM_ID=100

Each conference seems to dictate what is expected. Who knows whether or not those rules apply to non-conference games.

At Nebraska it is the same for all games.

GB, GB, GJ!
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Yeah, I wish we were all more together at Minnesota. But it's their stadium and they make the rules. Nebraska does lump opposing fans together in the lower level around the end zone/10 yard line...that is true. There is also a great pregame atmosphere. And there's a bar called...what is it?...the Side Track, I think...and if opposing fans are there, they act like they're going to give them a hard time, then invite them on stage to sing their school's fight song (which the band learns and plays). They even knew the Western Michigan fight song last year, so I assume they'll learn SDSU's next year. Anyhow, after the good-natured ribbing, they turn on the Oklahoma schools and get R-rated. it's very funny, but...not for sensitive ears. OK, I'm off track for this thread. Sorry.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

At Nebraska it is the same for all games.
                      Not sure if this is true. From what I've heard from a pretty reliable source, we're only getting 300 tickets -- barely enough for players' families and Athletic Dept. staff -- for next year's game. I think NU offers at least 3,000 to visiting FBS schools, maybe more for Big XII games. Point made was that we'll have no problem getting all the Gopher tix we want, but if you want to go to the Nebraska game, you better start now brown nosing anyone you may know with Husker tix.
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

300? Wow, that WOULD hardly be enough to cover the team. That would be a letdown, but...it could happen. The upside is that it will be somewhat easy to get tickets from NU fans who aren't so interested in watching the Huskers and SDSU do battle. Just don't wear too much blue until after you have procured (discounted) tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                          300? Wow, that WOULD hardly be enough to cover the team. That would be a letdown, but...it could happen. The upside is that it will be somewhat easy to get tickets from NU fans who aren't so interested in watching the Huskers and SDSU do battle. Just don't wear too much blue until after you have procured (discounted) tickets.
                          Right on the money!!! Get a red t-shirt for a souveneir and put it on to secure your tickets and then GO BIG, GO BLUE, GO JACKS!!!

Hey, I'm not sure the number of tickets the visitors get but they have been in the same spot for the 30+ years I've been going to the game. I did look at a couple more pictures of Memorial Stadium on the Huskers website and they probably only give tickets in Sectioin 21 to the visitors not both.

Disclaimer- I haven't been to many non-conference games in Lincoln so it could be different for those versus Big 12 games.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                            Right on the money!!! Get a red t-shirt for a souveneir and put it on to secure your tickets and then GO BIG, GO BLUE, GO JACKS!!!

Hey, I'm not sure the number of tickets the visitors get but they have been in the same spot for the 30+ years I've been going to the game. I did look at a couple more pictures of Memorial Stadium on the Huskers website and they probably only give tickets in Sectioin 21 to the visitors not both.

Disclaimer- I haven't been to many non-conference games in Lincoln so it could be different for those versus Big 12 games.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                            I've been to 2 non-conference games in Lincoln but they were against Arizona State and Penn State, so not really comparable, but for those games the PSU and ASU fans got those sections in the corner that you and others referred to.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                            X