Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/USD Share Open Date in 2010

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    We aren't preventing anything at this point. This year is the first time they are a counter. That's what is important to us in the grand scheme of things and I will trust our administration on that. Prevent implies we are going out of our way to ensure that we don't play USD. I want them to play too, but the playoffs are more important than anything.
    The playoffs are important. Are you saying you think USD would beat us? I say bring them on and put it to rest. I am sick of USD fans claiming they can always beat us; well, I say bring it on and as Meierkort says end the debate on the internet and play. They are a counter, would travel well, and the game would be beneficial to us as well. Stigs said on KWSN he is amazed that one weekend there will be 12-13,000 people in the stands one week and then 4,000 for Georgia Southern. I guarantee a game against USD would have more than 4,000 butts in the seats.

I just don't know why we wouldn't play them. It sounds like USD would even play at CAS in 2010 and 2011.

Comment

You're paraphrasing there a bit rc. Stig said he wants to get away from people depending on that one game. He used the 13,000 for Missouri Rolla and then 4,000 the next week for #2 Georgia Southern as an example of fans not understanding who the team is playing. He figures that if USD is on the schedule that this thing could continue. He also mentioned that SDSU has had to build fan interest on their own and the fans haven't had USD to rely on. The rivalry with NDSU has been built and thats who the kids look at each year. USD fans still yearn for that game and so to make their fans happy they are trying to get it. He also said that he wants nothing to do with making their life any easier.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
        On his blog today, TV said "Back to the football schedule question, SDSU has maybe only two FCS openings through 2013 from what I can tell." those I assume are the 10 and 11 openings so there is no space for USD in 2012 or 2013 unless the current schedule changes.
        That makes things a little more interesting. I really wouldn't by it either way. It wouldn't surprise me if they play twice in '10 and '11 and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't play at all.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I heard both Meierkort and Stig today. After listening to both, it was clear that USD would really like to have this game because it would clearly benefit their program in the long run. Meierkort gave lots of praise to SDSU and how far ahead of USD the Jacks are. I believe he was sincere, at least in part, because he is also setting up the public expectation that SDSU should win handily and anything else would prove USD is accelerating their program faster than SDSU. He also was very good at trying to set it up as SDSU was the only thing holding this back and tried to negate the argument that USD would hurt SDSU's chances at the playoffs because they are a counter now. He also talked about how the Great West is a strong conference so they have strong reputation in OOC games.

He is good at PR. If you follow his reasoning above I think you can see the circle. SDSU should play us because we are not that good and it should be an easy win but it won't hurt them in the national view because they are a counter in a strong conference and compete well in the conference.

Stig said that the decision to schedule USD will happen when SDSU feels that it is the best thing to do for our program in relation to other options available to the program. As previously stated, he discussed how SDSU is trying to build the program so that every game is considered a great game to see and that our fans understand who the Richmond's & Appalachian State's of FCS are. The purpose of the SDSU football program is to be the best program it can be; not to do what is best for the state of SD, USD, BHSU or DSU. He also said this did not mean that SDSU would never schedule USD, but in fact that he was sure that the series would resume at some time.

I think what Stig was trying to say was that he was not willing to sacrifice the current players dedication to the program for a perceived good that is primarily going to benefit individuals outside the SDSU program.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I might as well add my two pennies worth to the discussion.

Everything that follows is based on the assumption that SDSU doesn't find a better opportunity to fill the dates.

I think that it is time for these two universities to meet on the playing field again. Doing so in 2010 seems ok to me. The folks from USD and the USD supporters seem pretty confident that this game would fill the stadium. They might be right. They might be wrong. Either way, it is probably the biggest crowd we can get for a November 20th game. Reflect their confidence by making the guarantee $ based on the size of the gate.

As for the 2011 date, I think we have to face the fact that 2011 will be their third year as a D-I counter. They will be in about the same situation as we were a couple of seasons ago. Play the game in Brookings as the first half of a home and home contract. If the second game isn't played until 2013 or later, that would simply be a reflection that this probably won't be an annual game as long as the two teams are in different conferences. The truth is that I would love to see the Coyotes sit up and beg like a lap dog for any scraps of scheduling that they can get. But the reality is that we will have to be fair with them. That is the nature of our university and our athletic department. We do have principles you know.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
              I heard both Meierkort and Stig today. After listening to both, it was clear that USD would really like to have this game because it would clearly benefit their program in the long run. Meierkort gave lots of praise to SDSU and how far ahead of USD the Jacks are. I believe he was sincere, at least in part, because he is also setting up the public expectation that SDSU should win handily and anything else would prove USD is accelerating their program faster than SDSU. He also was very good at trying to set it up as SDSU was the only thing holding this back and tried to negate the argument that USD would hurt SDSU's chances at the playoffs because they are a counter now. He also talked about how the Great West is a strong conference so they have strong reputation in OOC games.

He is good at PR. If you follow his reasoning above I think you can see the circle. SDSU should play us because we are not that good and it should be an easy win but it won't hurt them in the national view because they are a counter in a strong conference and compete well in the conference.

Stig said that the decision to schedule USD will happen when SDSU feels that it is the best thing to do for our program in relation to other options available to the program. As previously stated, he discussed how SDSU is trying to build the program so that every game is considered a great game to see and that our fans understand who the Richmond's & Appalachian State's of FCS are. The purpose of the SDSU football program is to be the best program it can be; not to do what is best for the state of SD, USD, BHSU or DSU. He also said this did not mean that SDSU would never schedule USD, but in fact that he was sure that the series would resume at some time.

I think what Stig was trying to say was that he was not willing to sacrifice the current players dedication to the program for a perceived good that is primarily going to benefit individuals outside the SDSU program.
              Both those guys are masters at working the public/media. Each are class acts and good football coaches and recruiters. USD was lucky to get Ed when they did. Austin was a good recruiter, but man he was a crap coach.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post

I think both institutions are looking out for what's in their best interest -- and that makes perfect sense. I'd be upset if those in control of scheduling for either university did otherwise. It seems likely there will be a time when the best interests of both institutions point to scheduling a game. Beats me when that'll occur but I think it will occur someday.

I agree with RabbitObserver's comment about both coaches being good at PR. They're the kind of coaches these schools should have, drumming up support for and interest in their programs.

SDSU's goal is to get to the playoffs and compete for and win a national title. By having that kind of a program, Coughlin will start filling up for every game. That's what I want as a fan. When that's going on, I'll be there for the game, whether the opponent is NDSU, Richmond, The Citadel, Appy State, Montana or USD.

Comment

Definitely agree with Coach Stig that we need to do what's best for SDSU Football. Not what's best for the State of South Dakota. That being said, I'm not opposed to playing USD again as long as it's right for SDSU.

Comment

Although small attendance for a late November date might help to prove my contention that the rivalry is seriously damaged, I'd still prefer to put this off for quite some time. Can't see much advantage in it except for USD. A decade or so down the road is my vote.

Comment

As stated before I hope SDSU puts this off as long as possible. It's really to bad that there's not another newspaper option besides the Argus Leader in this state. The Argus has always been a USD paper and the article today does nothing to change my mind. USD wants the game to be played. No Sh**! Who looks like the bad guy in the article - SDSU. For everyone who is happy to see the two in-state schools play again -great - but this guy has no interest. SCREW THE U AND THE ARGUS TOO!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                        As stated before I hope SDSU puts this off as long as possible. It's really to bad that there's not another newspaper option besides the Argus Leader in this state. The Argus has always been a USD paper and the article today does nothing to change my mind. USD wants the game to be played. No Sh**! Who looks like the bad guy in the article - SDSU. For everyone who is happy to see the two in-state schools play again -great - but this guy has no interest. SCREW THE U AND THE ARGUS TOO!
                        Let's see if I can channel my inner-SturgisJeff here....

Comment

Knock off the smack, all.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It's inevitable that we will play USD every year sometime in the future. The sooner we play them, the sooner we can prove that we can dominate them. Did anyone wait for their little brother to grow up before you took him on? Why give the Coyotes that chance?

Comment

I really don't feel that SDSU has any obligation to USD or South Dakota to renew the rivalry. USD had its chance when SDSU went D-1. They could have kept the rivalry going by going D-1 at the same time. We both would have been in the Great West and would have played each other every year.

I keep hearing that the ball is in SDSU's court to renew the rivalry. That implies that it is SDSU's fault that we don't have a football rivalry with USD anymore. I really blame USD for cancelling the rivalry by staying in D-2 and allowing the xDSU's to blaze the trail into D-1. It is this passive-agressive attitude that is irritating. I'm just glad that SDSU is a forward thinking, visionary school and not a follower.

Go State!!!
                              Go Jacks!!!
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                                I keep hearing that the ball is in SDSU's court to renew the rivalry. That implies that it is SDSU's fault that we don't have a football rivalry with USD anymore.
                                That doesn't imply that at all. In fact it doesn't imply anything about who ended it. It implies that USD wants to start again and SDSU doesn't feel it's best.

Comment

Working...
                                X