X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Recruiting Class

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that Joe.
    Why would you say that? Not going against it...just want your take on why not??

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
      I wouldn't bet on that Joe.
      I'm with EQ here. Udot often recruits a different kind of athlete than we do. I don't think the fact Udot has offered an athlete means squat as it applies to us. We have very precious few scholarships to give and not a lot of funds to pay for recruiting visit. I suspect Stig and his staff are being quite selective. I think Ed and the boys are offering anything that walks and talks, but not necessarily both at the same time.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Even though we can not offer as many does not mean that there is no over lap of recruits. Espcially in the early stages of the recruitment process. Lets not act like USD only gets kids that we do not want. Example, Blake Hojer. He wanted to play for state, but we as far as i know only wanted him to walk on. USD did get him because of the scholarship. Don't think that we would not have enjoyed him here in yellow and blue.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think I would much rather have Justin Kubesh, Chris Johnson, Jimmy Rogers and Co!

Comment

Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
            I think I would much rather have Justin Kubesh, Chris Johnson, Jimmy Rogers and Co!
            So your going to completely dismiss him then? What if he had gone to UNI or NDSU? Having a kid in our backyard as people often refer to it around here and not trying to get them, sounds like a story about a rabbit that got away. I did not say he would have been the greatest we ever had or anything. I am not saying either that the players we do have are not amazing, but I think he could have been a player that could have helped us.

Back to the point of the thread here. Just because USD wants them does that mean we shouldnt want to even look at them? Just a question. So if they start tryin to recruit players we already had before should we stop recruiting them because we want a different kind of student athlete then usd does? Now dont think I am saying we should be looking at all the recruits that usd is, because that is certainly not the case. The fact that there are several good schools in the area who are all trying to go for kids of the same level and ability there is going to be some overlap in recruits. That should be made obviously by the list of potential schools a recruit has.

EDIT: To clarify, I would vote for Kubesh and Rogers and Johnson and jackson and such as my top choices but Hojer would have been a nice addition i believe. Some may think differently and im sure they have reasons for it. I just think a talented kid who had us as his first choice, goes to another school for scholarship reasons, i can not fault him for that. That may be a case of we did not do everything we could to keep a kid like him. Now I do not recall who we got as recruits that year on scholarship so maybe he was not as good as the guys we did get. Sorry i am rambling now. I will stop untill next time.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              But if you google some of the players on our list you'll see that they only mention USD recruiting them.

Here's a blurb from from http://www.wissports.net/ on our supposed recruit Cordero Finley.

""-According to Kenosha Bradford head coach Jed Kennedy, Red Devils linebacker/safety Cordero Finley (6-2, 210) received a scholarship offer from the University of North Dakota while on his official visit there this past weekend.

The Fighting Sioux are the second school to offer Finley as he had previously garnered an offer from the University of South Dakota. Kennedy said Eastern Illinois, North Dakota State and Winona State are also showing interest. ""

No mention of SDSU, but yet ESPN has him listed as being recruited by us and not by USD.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of offers go to kids from AZ, TX, MO, and areas further away. And than we probably sign 4 or 5 SD, MN, IA, NE kids as walk-ons.
              I wouldn't trust the ESPN recruiting site. It has us(NDSU) recruting a JUCO Safety from Arizona, but then you look on rivals.com and it has nothing about us. I don't know how get their info. Last year they had us recruiting a HB from AZ, he ended going D2 in AZ though, so i don't know how accurate it is.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                So your going to completely dismiss him then? What if he had gone to UNI or NDSU? Having a kid in our backyard as people often refer to it around here and not trying to get them, sounds like a story about a rabbit that got away. I did not say he would have been the greatest we ever had or anything. I am not saying either that the players we do have are not amazing, but I think he could have been a player that could have helped us.

Back to the point of the thread here. Just because USD wants them does that mean we shouldnt want to even look at them? Just a question. So if they start tryin to recruit players we already had before should we stop recruiting them because we want a different kind of student athlete then usd does? Now dont think I am saying we should be looking at all the recruits that usd is, because that is certainly not the case. The fact that there are several good schools in the area who are all trying to go for kids of the same level and ability there is going to be some overlap in recruits. That should be made obviously by the list of potential schools a recruit has.

EDIT: To clarify, I would vote for Kubesh and Rogers and Johnson and jackson and such as my top choices but Hojer would have been a nice addition i believe. Some may think differently and im sure they have reasons for it. I just think a talented kid who had us as his first choice, goes to another school for scholarship reasons, i can not fault him for that. That may be a case of we did not do everything we could to keep a kid like him. Now I do not recall who we got as recruits that year on scholarship so maybe he was not as good as the guys we did get. Sorry i am rambling now. I will stop untill next time.
                I think eq's point is that just because USD has offered someone doesn't automatically mean that we are talking to the same kid. Sure there will be some overlap, and I'm sure we are competing with USD for some recruits, but each team has different needs and possibly different tools in evaluating kids so we aren't always going to be going after the same ones.

Comment

Exactly.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Nobody said we would talk to them as a recruit just because usd did. I would not be surprised to find The Xdsu's, Uxd's and uni and such all at some point and time having some kind of interest in kids in the midwest that are being recruited. Not to mention and FCS and D-2 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      If USD has offered to them though there is probably a good chance that we have at least talked to them.....
                      You are right goon. This is what joeboo said and I responded by saying that I didn't think that was necessarily true. That's what kicked this whole mess off.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Even though we can not offer as many does not mean that there is no over lap of recruits. Espcially in the early stages of the recruitment process. Lets not act like USD only gets kids that we do not want. Example, Blake Hojer. He wanted to play for state, but we as far as i know only wanted him to walk on. USD did get him because of the scholarship. Don't think that we would not have enjoyed him here in yellow and blue.
                        The deal with Hojer was somewhat of a debacle. My mom's family is from DeSmet and let me tell you there are/were a lot of unhappy people around that town when we let him slip out of our grasp. Not enough time to go into detail and not the right place to discuss it.

We'll recruit the kids Stig and his coaches want and the rest of the programs will recruit who they want. Hopefully the smart ones choose SDSU.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Add defensive back Bobby Ollman from Wisconsin to the list of kids we are showing interest in.

http://www.wissports.net/sports/foot...=113&id=981783

Comment

Ethan Hemer recently took visits to Wisconsin and South Dakota State. He hasn't been offered yet, he said Coach Stig was waiting for them to hire a D-Line coach and then they would let him know of their decision.

http://www.wissports.net/sports/foot...=113&id=981721

Comment

Update Wisconsin Recruits.

http://test.wissports.net/sports/foo...=113&id=936912

From our potential list. Brian Otto gave a verbal committment to North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Update Wisconsin Recruits.

http://test.wissports.net/sports/foo...=113&id=936912

From our potential list. Brian Otto gave a verbal committment to North Dakota
                                Good find...I'll update the list. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X