It's been a while...congratulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a while...congratulations

It's been about a year since I've even visited. I came over especially to congratulate the Jackrabbit football team, its coaches, my friend Fred Oien, and anyone who follows Jackrabbit sports. I 'did' have a few professional experiences with Fred in the 90s.

You know...it's been a long season for us Bison fans. We were the preseason favorite to win the MVFC during our first year...and some of the polls had us ranked #1. For many Bison fans, it seemed logical...but there was one minor problem. Houdini (Steve) Walker wasn't coming back to play quarterback...and we had just a couple of untested replacements that hadn't played a lot.

I think that all of this set us up for a 'fall.' Especially, the Bison football players. The hype was too big over a team that really hadn't proven anything yet. True...we had back-to-back 10-1 seasons with several surprising wins over FBS programs like Ball State, Central Michigan, and Minnesota. But in terms of playing a full conference schedule, and what we've all found to be a consistently tough conference, we weren't there. Perhaps having Walker back (along with Joe Mays at MLB) would have given us different results...but we didn't have those guys.

Old-timers like myself grew up believing in the inevitability of Bison success...much like some of you grew up watching some unbelievable men's basketball teams. We were spoiled by the success...and we want it back badly. During the 2006 & 2007 seasons we saw flashes of the old brilliance...in a different package. New offense...new uniforms...new division...new everything. It seemed like it was falling into place.

Over at bisonville we've been debating the situation all year, and frankly, there's been a lot of tension. We are in several camps. Should we blame the coaches? How about our quarterback? Something felt wrong. The team just wasn't firing on all 8 cylinders. Up one week...down the next. Interceptions...missed kicks...poor punt & kickoff coverage...weak tackling...and more. But we knew that most of the team was 'very' talented. The senior class has to be one of the more talented groups that we've ever had at NDSU. They played their hearts out last Saturday night. They...deserved a better season.

We should have known. I should have known. We should have coped with it better. I should have coped with it better. The inconsistency just didn't make sense.

Anyway...about last Saturday night.

SDSU earned the victory with strong fundamental play, and your quarterback came off the bench to engineer an outstanding comeback drive. Some of us, including myself, have complained about a few calls that were made in the game. But isn't that normal for most sports fans when their team loses a tough game? I'm not saying that it's right.

But the reality is this. You beat us. Berry is your Steve Walker. I grew up in Mayville, North Dakota...and I know his aunt and uncle. Scott Berry is the baseball coach at Mayville State...and an outstanding one. So there's a connection. And having lived in Brookings for seven years in the 90s, I became familiar with how Watertown would come up with an unusually gifted athlete from time to time. I remember a basketball player from the early to mid 90s that would come to Brookings High School and take over a game. Wasn't that big, but he'd stuff the ball with his elbows by the rim. Very dynamic.

My wife and I taught in Brookings for seven years. Our two children went to elementary & part of middle school there. It's a great city. There are a lot of very nice small cities in South Dakota. SDSU is a first-class university that has developed an excellent football program. Losing to the Rabbits shouldn't be a huge shock to Bison fans...and to most of us...it isn't. We've seen the Rabbits evolve into a solid program during the transition.

Last year...I predicted a 10-1 season for the Bison (2007)...and I predicted that SDSU would be our toughest game. With Minnesota and Central Michigan on the schedule...it was a high compliment.

I'm asking all of you to allow Bison fans some time to let the air out. There are a ton of good people over at bisonville. And most of them understand what's going on. And just so you know...about 90 percent of the writing that refers to SDSU is very, very complimentary...and respectful.

But still...we yearn for the dominant days. Personally, I don't believe that Bison football has dropped off so much. In terms of our developing rivalry...I think that it's more a matter of SDSU developing into a very solid football team...and that you've risen to the level that NDSU has been at. Maybe it's a little of both. But we're trying to find our way through the transition too...and the new conference. Everything has changed. Recruiting is totally different. The week-to-week competition is pretty amazing. But that's what we wanted...wasn't it? I have to keep telling myself that.

There have been a couple of 'not so nice' visitors to bisonville from Jackrabbit country. But it's only been 2 or 3 people. Could be the same person with two usernames. Who knows. But I know, for a fact, that Jackrabbit fans are good people. I probably know some of you from our time in Brookings.

A suggestion:

Let's work really hard at 'not' escalating the rivalry into an ugly one...like our old one with UND...and perhaps yours with USD. That wasn't really fun. It went way over the edge.

SDSU & NDSU have leaders that took leaps of faith into the unknown...under HEAVY political pressure. Look what we've done. It's really quite amazing. Personally...I think that Fred Oien & Gene Taylor should be Hall of Fame candidates some day...or recipients of a purple heart.

Let's try to remember that most people...in both camps...are just normal people that enjoy following their teams. I can vouch...having lived in both areas...that a vast majority of the people are good folks.

One last thing:

I'll get called on this by someone...but as far as I'm concerned...because of the weight of your schedule...that SDSU should have been in the field of 16. I know...5 losses doesn't cut it...but your team was very, very strong.

Sorry for the rambling. I had to get this out.

A sincere congratulations on the win. (ouch...that hurt)

CaBisonFan
    (Ca standing for California, which is where my family and I live now)

Re: It's been a while...congratulations

Tusen takk,(one thousand thank-yous in Norwegian). A very thoughtful post. Thanks again.

Comment

Ca, appreciate the time and energy you spent on that post. Don't mistake a little bravado on my part (the kiss my ass stuff) for a lack of respect. I can't tell you how pleased we are to have NDSU as a partner and peer at the DI ranks. I am certain that neither of us could have had the success we have had or the bright outlook for the future we know have without the cooperation that has occurred.

I look forward to a day when I could look fondly back on these early DI years and be proud of the fact that each of us were big supporters of our state universities and the students and athletes that matriculate there. My relationship with the South Dakota State University is a rewarding one and made even better by a healthy and fun rivalry with the North Dakota State University.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

CA - Like you, I'm a LONG ways from Brookings & Fargo. I enjoyed competing with the Bison swimmers in my days. Football at the beginning of your 17 straight wins vs SDSU was kind of tough, but hey, we all survived.

Sponsored a joint SDSU/NDSU watch party in ATL, and we ALL had a good time, and hope to set up a similar watch party for the Summit conference finals.

Our rivalry is challenging, but normally in a sibling kind of way.

Best to NDSU in representing the Summit in the VBall tourney, and may you match or exceed Jacks success in Soccer this year.

Comment

Much of my objection to gabe's posts here related to his patronizing tone and generally unfriendly approach to this board (which continued, after that thread was closed, with an even more obnoxious rant on Bisonville). I don't agree with him that saying, in effect, "congratulations on winning a game you didn't deserve to win" is a very respectful overture.

There's a logical fallacy being peddled by some here. That skewed logic says there is no difference between claiming a game was stolen by the refs and being upset that such a claim is being made. That's a false equivalency. If someone walked up to you on the street and called you a thief and in turn you say (perhaps even loudly) "that's unfair", are you equally guilty of negativity? In gabe's world, you are, in fact, MORE guilty (and perhaps are suffering from some psychological shortcoming as well for having defended yourself.)

That said, this is a great post by CaBisonFan, and I appreciate the sentiment behind it and agree completely.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            Much of my objection to gabe's posts here related to his patronizing tone and generally unfriendly approach to this board (which continued, after that thread was closed, with an even more obnoxious rant on Bisonville). I don't agree with him that saying, in effect, "congratulations on winning a game you didn't deserve to win" is a very respectful overture.

There's a logical fallacy being peddled by some here. That skewed logic says there is no difference between claiming a game was stolen by the refs and being upset that such a claim is being made. That's a false equivalency. If someone walked up to you on the street and called you a thief and in turn you say (perhaps even loudly) "that's unfair", are you equally guilty of negativity? In gabe's world, you are, in fact, MORE guilty (and perhaps are suffering from some psychological shortcoming as well for having defended yourself.)

That said, this is a great post by CaBisonFan, and I appreciate the sentiment behind it and agree completely.
            I'll cut gabe slack on the basis of one fact which I know to be true without even being told its true. Gabe is a young man who has little perspective. I've been there, JJ has been there, CaBison has been there. Gabe will learn from his interaction here and become a bigger and better man, at least I hope he will.

If in his mind I'm an asshole that's just fine with me. I think gabe has potential, I'm not impressed with where he is now but I could be persuaded....teachers have to be like that.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

CaBison,

Thanks for your very thoughtful post. I was the one who attacked gabe very severely on Bisonville. I let his posts get the best of me and I apologize for that.

Similar to jackmd, if you have read my other posts there, you will see that I also have a very deep respect for NDSU, its athletic programs, and most importantly the passionate fans. There are many, many things in your program that SDSU aspires to be.

I will clean it up and not let one person get under my skin. The rivalry between the schools has been very civil to this point which is what I also love about it.

Thanks again for the perspective.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Tusen takk,(one thousand thank-yous in Norwegian). A very thoughtful post. Thanks again.

Vaer sa god. (you're welcome)

Comment

It was...indeed...a very good and thoughtful post (at start of thread). I'm an old (long time...and old) SDSU fan and I want to echo some of the posts in regards to the outstanding cooperation between NDSU and SDSU in making the jump. We couldn't have had better partners (and I think knowledgeable NDSU fans feel the same way). I venture up to read Bisonville once in awhile, but don't post...guess I'm just not a "smack" kind of guy (old-fashioned probably). Thanks CABisonFan!

Comment

Originally posted by CaBisonFan View Post
                    But the reality is this. You beat us. Berry is your Steve Walker. I grew up in Mayville, North Dakota...and I know his aunt and uncle. Scott Berry is the baseball coach at Mayville State...and an outstanding one. So there's a connection. And having lived in Brookings for seven years in the 90s, I became familiar with how Watertown would come up with an unusually gifted athlete from time to time. I remember a basketball player from the early to mid 90s that would come to Brookings High School and take over a game. Wasn't that big, but he'd stuff the ball with his elbows by the rim. Very dynamic.
                    CaBison, I believe you are talking about Jason Sutherland. Went to Missouri and had a pretty good career if I remember correctly.

Here is a youtube clip from the state tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yGNM0M0xtE

Comment

Working...
                    X