2009 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Schedule

Next year, we lose a star QB & a star wide end. About 25% of our starting lines. But we are returning a lot. At worst we are 3-2, and 3-0 going into the Dakota Marker. GA Southern will be returning a bunch, but I believe Poly graduates a LOT of its offensive firepower.

Other than the first game being essentially a first start (likely Crawford), we start with games to build his confidence.

Glad that we're catching In St, and Mo State early. IMHO, they'll improve over the course of the 09 season.

SIU and NDSU I feel will be wins at Coughlin. UNI???? They are consistently good, and we need to sacrifice them to the Hobo Day gods.

either 8-3 or 9-2, no more that the UNI loss in conference.

Comment

I don't think Thursday night games would work well at SDSU...although maybe, just maybe, students would go for it because they could drink, then go to the game, then drink on a school night. But many of us drive multiple hours to get to games on Saturdays. And on Thursdays, I just think we would lose that crowd...and many from Sioux Falls.

For many people, hunting is more important than football...a bigger priority. That doesn't compute for me. I hope, in time, that will change. The Marker Game on the pheasant opener makes no sense. Bison fans could own CAS next year unless our fans shift some priorities. I know people who miss two or three games each year to drive to or three hours and shoot birds. It drives me insane (and yes, I understand the family and friends and tradation), but...what do you do? I can't force them to go to the game instead...although I generally heap out a bit of guilt.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
        Sad thing is the city of Brookings would prefer to have the game on a different date since all the motels will already be full with hunters and they probably would like another full weekend for football.
        Since when has pheasant hunting been that big around Brookings? Many hunters sure, but not near enough to fill up all those hotels they have been building.

Most years there is a game on this date. This year it happens to be NDSU. If hunting is a tradition, then stick to it and enjoy it. Maybe listen on the radio. It's ok to let other things be more important than Jackrabbit football. I have a few things on the list that come before SDSU sports and I cherish the times I get to see it live, but move on when I can't.

Comment

Open a pheasant barn and raise them at State, like chickens, get em big and plump by gameday. Then for every person at the game with a hunting license give them three pheasants. Make it a promotion, call it something like, Give the Bison the Bird or something like that. In one of the fields around CAS have a shotgun shooting area where everyone takes a shot and gets his birds. Gets fans in the seats, saves em money by not having to drive around all day looking for the birds and they see a great football game. Every one gets his limit and gets to see a Jack victory. Oh and dont give the birds out till after the game and everyone is leaving. Don't want some crazy incident like thousands of dead pheasants flying out on the field if the refs make a stupid call. For Bison fans without a SD game license give them SDSU Dairy cheese to go with their whine when they lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
            Since when has pheasant hunting been that big around Brookings? Many hunters sure, but not near enough to fill up all those hotels they have been building.

Most years there is a game on this date. This year it happens to be NDSU. If hunting is a tradition, then stick to it and enjoy it. Maybe listen on the radio. It's ok to let other things be more important than Jackrabbit football. I have a few things on the list that come before SDSU sports and I cherish the times I get to see it live, but move on when I can't.
            Pheasant opener has always been huge, as long as I can remember.

Again, what we have here is a marketing issue. The SDSU athletic marketing staff need to accept the reality of the popularity of pheasant opener--in fact they should embrace it. Do something like . . . I dunno . . . discounted admission with a valid small-game license. Heck, make it the Pheasant Bowl, and get Cabela's or Scheel's to sponsor some kick-ass prizes to be awarded to ticket holders at the end of each quarter--and give away a pickup or something spectacular at the end of the game (You Must Be Present To Win).

Don't grumble--get creative!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              Open a pheasant barn and raise them at State, like chickens, get em big and plump by gameday. Then for every person at the game with a hunting license give them three pheasants. Make it a promotion, call it something like, Give the Bison the Bird or something like that. In one of the fields around CAS have a shotgun shooting area where everyone takes a shot and gets his birds. Gets fans in the seats, saves em money by not having to drive around all day looking for the birds and they see a great football game. Every one gets his limit and gets to see a Jack victory. Oh and dont give the birds out till after the game and everyone is leaving. Don't want some crazy incident like thousands of dead pheasants flying out on the field if the refs make a stupid call. For Bison fans without a SD game license give them SDSU Dairy cheese to go with their whine when they lose.
              Rent a helicopter and drop them from on high ("As God as my witness, I could have sworn that turkeys could fly!" -- bonus points for ID'ing the source of the quote.)

Sorry, SturgisJeff . . . but great minds think alike--marketing-wise. Get creative!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Rent a helicopter and drop them from on high ("As God as my witness, I could have sworn that turkeys could fly!" -- bonus points for ID'ing the source of the quote.)

Sorry, SturgisJeff . . . but great minds think alike--marketing-wise. Get creative!
                sorry about the fargo connection, but i love that show! That would be WKRP station manager Arthur Carlson

Comment

I think its a great idea to have the NDSU game on the pheasant opener. There is NO WAY I am missing the opener. Its like Christmas for my family and the other families that hunt with us.

That said, there is also NO WAY I am missing the NDSU game in Brookings. So, I'm going to have to make it work. The big kicker here, most of my other friends wouldn't leave the lodge for just any game but I bet you they will for the NDSU game.

Therefore, having the NDSU game on pheasant opener should result in a huge crowd despite the fact it is the opener. You can't say that for any other game.

Lastly, the game should be on TV. A great chance to get a great product out in front a the viewers when there are even more of them in the state than usual. I think its a great idea that should work. May want to make it an every-other-year occurrence. That said, if you don't have to have a game on the opener, don't do it.

BH, if you weren't raised with a shotgun in one hand, a hunting dog at your side and with the desire to hunt (or fish) every day if it was possible or allowed by your family (wife mostly) then you won't ever get it. If I could all I would do is hunt, fish, and go to Jackrabbit games (well thats not ALL I would do but you get the point).
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Georgia Southern, NDSU, SIU and UNI coming to CAS next year, that is freaking amazing. Who would have thought it just 5 short years ago. Granted, we had highly ranked conference teams playing in Brookings during the glory years of the NCC but we didn't have teams like GSU, Cal-Poly, McNeese, etc.. on the OOC schedule.

If you don't get a season ticket voucher for Christmas (they should sell them) you better check the naughty list. When can I get mine?
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

That is one of my all time favorite episodes of WKRP in Cincy. Les's play by play of the turkeys being dropped---that's funny stuff.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by MHDBisonfan View Post
                        sorry about the fargo connection, but i love that show! That would be WKRP station manager Arthur Carlson
                        I thought it was Les Nessman that said it, but it has been awhile. Fabulous episode.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                          The Marker Game on the pheasant opener makes no sense. Bison fans could own CAS next year unless our fans shift some priorities.
                          Please realize the scheduling of conference game dates are out of SDSU's control. The dates are set by the conference office and aren't going to juggle the schedule around just because its opening pheasant weekend in South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            I thought it was Les Nessman that said it, but it has been awhile. Fabulous episode.
                            Arthur is the one who thought they could fly. Les makes the "Oh, the humanity" quote when reporting live from the scene. Classic episode of a great show.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Thats right. Oh the Humanity

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I have done my best not to post on this one, but his is one of my all time favorite lines in a TV program. Les talking about the "humanity" and Carlson, "As God is my witness...".

Classic!

Comment

Working...
                                X