Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

I love CAS. It is a great football stadium, but it could use some sprucing up.

It rocks the socks off of the Dakota Dump any day. Football is meant to be played outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      RO, no reason why they should. Their beloved Jacks have been playing in a higher division during a good part of that time.
      Seriously, what does that comment have to do with the subject matter? You went D-I first. Congrats. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        Seriously, what does that comment have to do with the subject matter? You went D-I first. Congrats. Get over it.
        Nova's one of the few people on this board that has a decent sense of humor and know's how to give/take a joke. I think his intent was more to rib on me than to diss USD.

That's how I read it anyways.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
          Nova's one of the few people on this board that has a decent sense of humor and know's how to give/take a joke. I think his intent was more to rib on me than to diss USD.

That's how I read it anyways.
          Carry on then. I love to joke and rib.

Comment

I think the Dykhouse Center is going to give CAS a whole different look and closed in feel. I realize finishing the next stage of the Dykhouse Center for the other sports and an indoor practice facility are the next priorities. I think most of us would like to see a new east grandstand in the near future. Outside of private donations what other fiancing vehicles are available to replace Coughlin or refurbish it? The dome it seems got tobacco money to redo the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              The dome it seems got tobacco money to redo the roof.
              I know that $6.5 million for the Dakota Dome roof came from the Series 2000 Bonds issued by the South Dakota Building Authority.

Do you have some proof that tobacco money was used to "redo" the Dakota Dome roof?

Comment

I did a quick google on it and came up with HB 1292 that appropriated $400,000 specifically for the roof out of the tobacco funds. I'm home ill and just can't get up the energy to go back and look up if it was signed into law. Pretty sure that wasn't enough to replace the dome's roof; maybe it was emergency repairs until they could replace it.

HB1292 - 2/9/00

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  I did a quick google on it and came up with HB 1292 that appropriated $400,000 specifically for the roof out of the tobacco funds. I'm home ill and just can't get up the energy to go back and look up if it was signed into law. Pretty sure that wasn't enough to replace the dome's roof; maybe it was emergency repairs until they could replace it.

HB1292 - 2/9/00

That bill was killed (tabled) in committee:

02/22/2000 Appropriations Tabled Passed, YEAS 9, NAYS 0. S.J. 593

Comment

I suppose I am less than current on this topic, but I was under the impression the governor had descretionary power on how the settlement money could be used. This was the terms of the law suit settlement which was in federal courts, but gave each state a portion of the settlment to be paid by the tobacco companies. I could be sadly mistaken on this but that is my recollection.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 03-31-2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I suppose I am less than current on this topic, but I was under the impression the governor had descretionary power on how the settlement money could be used. This was the terms of the law suit settlement which was in federal courts, but gave each state a portion of the settlment to be paid by the tobacco companies. I could be sadly mistaken on this but that is my recollection.
                      Here is the statute on how the money can be used:

5-12-60. Legislative intended use of tobacco settlement funds. It is the intention of this Legislature that funds deposited in the tobacco development interest fund and the tobacco settlement residual fund be expended for:

(1) Grants for postsecondary scholarships designed to encourage and reward academic excellence;

(2) Grants designed to encourage and reward academic or teaching excellence in education; and

(3) Grants enacted pursuant to separately enacted statutes which will implement or support educational programs intended to provide for the health, welfare, and prosperity of the State of South Dakota and its residents.

Any investment, use, expenditure, or other application of moneys described in this section shall be expressly subject to and in full compliance with the agreements, covenants, restrictions, and conditions imposed by the terms of § 5-12-59.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                        Here is the statute on how the money can be used:

5-12-60. Legislative intended use of tobacco settlement funds. It is the intention of this Legislature that funds deposited in the tobacco development interest fund and the tobacco settlement residual fund be expended for:

(1) Grants for postsecondary scholarships designed to encourage and reward academic excellence;

(2) Grants designed to encourage and reward academic or teaching excellence in education; and

(3) Grants enacted pursuant to separately enacted statutes which will implement or support educational programs intended to provide for the health, welfare, and prosperity of the State of South Dakota and its residents.

Any investment, use, expenditure, or other application of moneys described in this section shall be expressly subject to and in full compliance with the agreements, covenants, restrictions, and conditions imposed by the terms of § 5-12-59.
                        Does No 3 in the statue imply that tobacco funds could be used to replace the dome? I keep thinking that I read several articles about the money being used for this purpose, but googling now you come up with many USD press releases, but none mention or hint at the use of tobacco money for the dome roof replacement. Did my mind play tricks on me and am to assumed that the notion tobacco money was used has no substance? Its beginning to look that way to me. If so then my apologies to the extra ordinary University.

Comment

No, Section 3 does allow for specific grants passed under separate statutes and that is how it would have been done. I see someone found out the other bill was tabled (I sure hope that wasn't at the end of the link I posted ). I seem to remember hearing that the tobacco money when the annual payments were sold/traded/exchanged for the lump sum. Maybe that was just talked about.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Does No 3 in the statue imply that tobacco funds could be used to replace the dome? I keep thinking that I read several articles about the money being used for this purpose, but googling now you come up with many USD press releases, but none mention or hint at the use of tobacco money for the dome roof replacement. Did my mind play tricks on me and am to assumed that the notion tobacco money was used has no substance? Its beginning to look that way to me. If so then my apologies to the extra ordinary University.
                            Here is what happened. In 2000 originally, it was proposed that the dome roof be funded using tobacco money. As the citation above indicates that bill was tabled.

Instead, every legislative session there is a bill introduced to amend the current fiscal year budget to account for issues that have occurred midway through the fiscal year. (For example, this year there was a bill introduced and passed amending the FY09 budget which we are currently in) So in 2000 SB196 was introduced and passed cleaning up the FY2000 budget. Included in that bill, funded by general funds, was $4,000,000 for the Dome roof. During the debate it was mentioned that "they" ie; USD would have to come up with the additional one million to complete the project. The bill passed and was signed by the Governor. Bottomline, oridinally the plan was to raid the tobacco money, but in the end excess general funds from the FY2000 budget was used to pay for the roof. Here is the link to the bill and the debate is archived: http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2000/196.htm

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                              Here is what happened. In 2000 originally, it was proposed that the dome roof be funded using tobacco money. As the citation above indicates that bill was tabled.

Instead, every legislative session there is a bill introduced to amend the current fiscal year budget to account for issues that have occurred midway through the fiscal year. (For example, this year there was a bill introduced and passed amending the FY09 budget which we are currently in) So in 2000 SB196 was introduced and passed cleaning up the FY2000 budget. Included in that bill, funded by general funds, was $4,000,000 for the Dome roof. During the debate it was mentioned that "they" ie; USD would have to come up with the additional one million to complete the project. The bill passed and was signed by the Governor. Bottomline, oridinally the plan was to raid the tobacco money, but in the end excess general funds from the FY2000 budget was used to pay for the roof. Here is the link to the bill and the debate is archived: http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2000/196.htm
                              HoboD:
                              Thanks a million. I guess I had confused the general funds as being tobacco funds. I know there was help from the legislature here in some form and but this explanation clears this up. I believe the legislature owes SDSU and the other State Assisted institutions 4 million for an equivalent project. Why should the extra ordinrary U get this kind of money and not the other the ordinary institutions? Is it because Tom Brokaw is their spokesman? This kindness by the legislature is getting old and maybe forgotten. I think we could put up some sort of indoor baseball facilty for 4 million. just a thought.

Comment

I think we could put up some sort of indoor baseball facilty for 4 million. just a thought.
                                Ill make you a deal, 4 million for indoor baseball and 4 million for the Jackrabbit Tennis Center!

Comment

Working...
                                X