Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Count me in as not a fan of the opponents' walk from Frost . . . now, painting a just-slightly-too-small visitor's locker room in the stadium a cool, soothing pink like Iowa does . . . that's all good in my book.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      Let me give you some insight what the does for the physchee (sp?) of your opponent by making them walk from Frost. It absolutely infuriates your opponent and I believe gives them a headstart into the game.

I played 3 games at CAS, and I love the rivalry as you can tell from prior posts, but that isn't classy to do that to the other team. What I have learned from being on this board periodically is there is alot of classy fans at SDSU, and this doesn't fit your MO.

Many of you take shots at the Dome, but I would almost guaranty every opponent that played both would prefer USD to SDSU for that reason alone. I may be wrong, but I would bet not. Now when I played, we played outdoors and that was a dump. But effective. You sorta get used to it and love like you do a 3 legged cat for a pet.

I would put that on my 5 year plan for capital improvements if I was your AD.
      I'm not a fan of the walk from Frost, either. But I'm told by people affiliated with the team that it's actually not unusual, even in FCS, to have to walk a block from the locker rooms to the field. I'd like to see the old locker room building turned into an opponents' locker room (painted a very feminine shade of pink, as KULaw suggests.)

Opponents might like the dome because they don't have to walk... but then again they DO have to play on that worn out, hard-as-a-rock surface once they get there. I'm thinking that probably isn't really very popular with opposing teams.

Added bonus of having the visitors in the old locker rooms: They'll be able to hear the crowd and the band, and feel the energy of about 15,000 fans who want them to fail.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

UNC and Mankato also required extended walks at halftime. We even had a cross a busy street in Mankato and conduct our half time meeting in the gym. That being said I would have rather walked at St. Cloud than gone to dungeon that was provided under the bleachers.

Comment

I've said it several times before here. Some of the nicest facilities that the team has played in have over a 1 block walk from the locker room to the field. Some of the nicest facilities the team has played in also have some of the worst visiting facilities you could imagine.

The HPER locker room is a palace compared to what much of the FCS has to offer.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
            I've said it several times before here. Some of the nicest facilities that the team has played in have over a 1 block walk from the locker room to the field. Some of the nicest facilities the team has played in also have some of the worst visiting facilities you could imagine.

Amen. What we have here is a tempest in a teapot...and way ahead of its time! I can guarantee you that it will be a minimum of five years (and much more like 10 or more) before a new stadium is built. That's years before any concept of the stadium with any validity is available.

The Dykhouse Center will have football locker rooms for OUR team. Maybe the administration will decide to put the visiting team in the current locker room, although EQGUY is right...the HPER, despite a one block walk (oh, my, I'm winded from that stroll!) provides better locker room space for the visitors. If so, so be it. There have been several ideas floating around for what that space will become.

Regardless of all that, after the Dykhouse Center, which still has to raise funds for furnishings inside the building, a FIELDHOUSE will be #1 priority of the department. Unless a huge beneficiary comes forward to get the Fieldhouse built, it will be a long time before we turn to the stadium.

So...fans who feel just fine with the walk...or those that think it isn't classy and we need something else (which would have to be the current locker room, or provisions in a new stadium) can duke it out for a long time before either side knows what the heck is going to happen. I know one thing for sure, providing for a different locker room for visiting teams, is not a high priority for the SDSU administration in regards to facilities needed to put us where we need to be for competing in Division I.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post

At Western Illinois, I think the walk is about double what it is from the HPER at CAS. Montana is a pretty good hike, too.

One big difference between our house and those is that our fans are angels compared to theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Amen. What we have here is a tempest in a teapot...and way ahead of its time! I can guarantee you that it will be a minimum of five years (and much more like 10 or more) before a new stadium is built. That's years before any concept of the stadium with any validity is available.

The Dykhouse Center will have football locker rooms for OUR team. Maybe the administration will decide to put the visiting team in the current locker room, although EQGUY is right...the HPER, despite a one block walk (oh, my, I'm winded from that stroll!) provides better locker room space for the visitors. If so, so be it. There have been several ideas floating around for what that space will become.

Regardless of all that, after the Dykhouse Center, which still has to raise funds for furnishings inside the building, a FIELDHOUSE will be #1 priority of the department. Unless a huge beneficiary comes forward to get the Fieldhouse built, it will be a long time before we turn to the stadium.
                Only thing that will change this is if something structurally comes up. Other than that I think 10 years is probably about right.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  Count me in as not a fan of the opponents' walk from Frost . . . now, painting a just-slightly-too-small visitor's locker room in the stadium a cool, soothing pink like Iowa does . . . that's all good in my book.
                  I know it's bad form to disagree with the owner but I think pink is just too much like red. It's what happens to the white side of a red/white reversible practice jersey. I would prefer the visitor's locker room to be a nice baby blue trimmed in a very soft yellow, something like you might do with a new baby's room.
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                    I know it's bad form to disagree with the owner but I think pink is just too much like red. It's what happens to the white side of a red/white reversible practice jersey. I would prefer the visitor's locker room to be a nice baby blue trimmed in a very soft yellow, something like you might do with a new baby's room.
                    Scientists at Iowa did some tests and found that the pink walls actually make people more aggressive. The same scientists said that supposedly light blue is a placid color that makes people sleepy. Still, pink is good just for the "in your face" factor.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                      I like this idea...Jackrabbit colors in pastel!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        I'm not a fan of the walk from Frost, either. But I'm told by people affiliated with the team that it's actually not unusual, even in FCS, to have to walk a block from the locker rooms to the field. I'd like to see the old locker room building turned into an opponents' locker room (painted a very feminine shade of pink, as KULaw suggests.)

Opponents might like the dome because they don't have to walk... but then again they DO have to play on that worn out, hard-as-a-rock surface once they get there. I'm thinking that probably isn't really very popular with opposing teams.

Added bonus of having the visitors in the old locker rooms: They'll be able to hear the crowd and the band, and feel the energy of about 15,000 fans who want them to fail.
                        JJ,

How long has it been since you have walked on the turf at the Dome? It actually is very soft and giving.

YFE

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          JJ,

How long has it been since you have walked on the turf at the Dome? It actually is very soft and giving.

YFE
                          YFE,

You'll find that most people who criticize the Dome haven't stepped foot in it for 10+ years.

RO
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                            YFE,

You'll find that most people who criticize the Dome haven't stepped foot in it for 10+ years.

RO
                            RO, no reason why they should. Their beloved Jacks have been playing in a higher division during a good part of that time.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                              YFE,

RO

WRONG...

I have had the "pleasure" of referreeing on "the carpet" 3 times in the past 4 years. Let me tell you...there is NOTHING forgiving about that stuff and I feel sorry for the players to be quite honest. I won't even go into some of the things (wavy yardage lines), ("padded" metal stairsteps no more than 6 yards from OB's)(pulled-up seams in the turf) that "by rule" need to be changed/fixed down on the field of play.

I've refereed on the "Field Turf" and the Astro/Pro Turf and there is no comparison, and BTW, Grass is 10 times better as far as "forgiving" and comfortable as either of them. The ONLY advantage that Pro Turf may have is that it is "fast". And Field Turf is almost as fast plus you get the "forgiveness".

IMO...as bad as the DakotaDome is for Basketball, it is worse for football.
                              I understand it's hard to take for USD fans when it comes to their beloved DakotaDome, but you had to go and assume "most of us" haven't been in the Dump in 10 years. Unfortunately I have, enough times to tell you it's nothing USD fans like to think it is.

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Coughlin:

I'd love to see it given more 'character', become a 'place'. Heck Sexauer has more character than Coughlin, and there's nothing there but the old ticket booth and a lot of pine trees.

Frankly, the new Augie stadium has me wishing for a new SDSU facility.....

WITH REAL GRASS.

Dakotadome:

Any artificial surface in the dome needs to be removable, and the good artificial turfs aren't.

I'm not sure what they have up in Fargo, but I doubt it's good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X