Missouri State Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri State Game Thread

We were questioning the stall at the end of the first half. After the half was over, I made the comment to a friend of mine that the coaches were probably not trying to have a mistake happen causing Miss. State to get a turnover and score, causing the momentum to switch. Probably was a good idea but it would have looked different to the fans if we would have run a play and not stood around waiting for the clock to run out.

The one area I will say needed a little help yesterday was the kick-offs. Two kicks out of bounds when you are kicking with the wind was horrible. I know the second one really ticked off Coach Stig (we heard him on the east side of the field). He did clap and congrat the kicker in the second half for doing a better job.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

The reason I think we should have pressed at the end of the half was they got the ball to start the second half. If they come out and score it's 19-13 and a game that we had dominated is now a close one. Turns out, though, it didn't matter.

Something strange on PATs what that on a few of them there was confusion as to whether to go for one or two. Confusion by the players on the field that is. At one point, it looked like two coaches were probably on different pages.

We do need improvements in the kicking game, though. That's clear. We're a good chunk of the way through the season and there's no real reason to have a growing sense of confidence in the young guys.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I have always had a problem with the play calling whenever we are deep in the red zone especailly with fourth down and a yard or two to go. Often, we go for a field goal instead of gambling for another set of downs or punching the ball in the endzone for a TD.

Yesterday Missouri State had that same opportunity only they were on the 35 and not in the red zone. They went for it on fourth and had an incomplete pass. In the process they gave up the ball on the 35 and SDSU marched to about the 5 and kicked our second FG. Shortly after that the RB went down and Missouri State lost the momentum completely. They had some up to this point. So going for it on fourth does have consequences.

These are hard calls to make and if you value field position, then maybe the lest risky plays works, such as a FG, works if you have a Parker Douglas. Right now our kicker is struggling so these decisions become more toublesome.

Stig said earlier on his show that Missouri State coach Terry Allen and he had been grad assistants at UNI. Coach Allen was successful at UNI and moved on to Kansas and did not have a good sint their, but he played for Stan Sheriff at UNI and was an asssitant under Darrell Mudra, and Earl Bruce. He has had a wealth knowledge to train under and I was surprised he went for it on 4th down on our 35, but maybe the staff overrulled him.

If the score was 43-13, some right decisions were made in calling plays, and I will it let go at that. We played a whale of a game, and Missouri State probably did not. Air travel and injuries seems to be some of their problems. Two teams appear weak now in the MVC, but I think they are in the rebuilding stage right now and they are Indiana State and Missouri State.

Comment

That first series we should have gone for it on fourth down. We were so close to a first down and a touchdown.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

It's funny that at the exact same time Stig decided to stall out the first half and a couple of folks were booing him....The Gophers where tied 17-17 on their own 38 yard line with 30-some seconds left and decided they would try and pass.. Guess how that turned out? Northwestern picked it off and took it to the house for the win. Gophers take a knee and the game goes into OT and they still may have only 1 lose.

You want to give a team that is ALMOST out of a game before half momentum...throw a pick and watch them take it to the house. Instead of 43-13...that game turns into a dogfight.

Good call Stig!

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Well that was a breath of fresh air.
              How about some grades again this week.

1. QB: A-, pretty complete game. Just a couple of shoddy passes resulting in the field goals in the first half.
              2. RB: A-, did what a person would expect them to again a team giving up 290 a game on the ground.
              3. WR: A-, god JaRon is just a phenomenal player. The guy just gets open and even if he's not, he flat out outplays all of the other db's.
              4. OLine: B, good job considering the last few weeks.
              5. Front 7: B-, getting to the qb and not getting him down is frustrating. Didn't allow them to get any rhythm though.
              6. Secondary: B, getting those safeties healthy is going to go a long way in the next three weeks.
              7. Special teams: D-, this is seriously a joke. It already cost one game (McNeese) it better not cost another.
              8. Coaches: C-, decent play calling, I actually would like to have seen MORE runs. They still wanted to pass a lot in the first half, but it was very effective. The 50 yard field goal was a dumb call as was going for 2 at 12-0. Calling the sideline kickoff is stupid with the wind, just let K. Harris boot it out of the end zone with the wind. Don't get cute.

Defense is going to need to keep stepping it up next week. Overall, a very nice game.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                It's funny that at the exact same time Stig decided to stall out the first half and a couple of folks were booing him....The Gophers where tied 17-17 on their own 38 yard line with 30-some seconds left and decided they would try and pass.. Guess how that turned out? Northwestern picked it off and took it to the house for the win. Gophers take a knee and the game goes into OT and they still may have only 1 lose.

You want to give a team that is ALMOST out of a game before half momentum...throw a pick and watch them take it to the house. Instead of 43-13...that game turns into a dogfight.

Good call Stig!

Go Jacks!!
                Stig made the right decision before the half after making the wrong decision to attempt a 52 yard field goal. That miss gave them the field position that needed to score the TD and make it a game at the half. I can see why people want to see you take a shot but the risk/reward ratio wasn't in our favor, in my opinion.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I didn't fault the Jacks for going for the 52-yard field goal. The wind was favorable for the attempt. The partial block doomed it. At some point in the next three weeks, a 50-yarder might win a key game. This was an opportunity to work out some kinks in real-game conditions. The way the Jacks were physically dominating MSU, there wasn't much chance a missed field goal would cost SDSU game.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    I didn't fault the Jacks for going for the 52-yard field goal. The wind was favorable for the attempt. The partial block doomed it. At some point in the next three weeks, a 50-yarder might win a key game. This was an opportunity to work out some kinks in real-game conditions. The way the Jacks were physically dominating MSU, there wasn't much chance a missed field goal would cost SDSU game.
                    Stig said tonight in the taping of his show that the 52-yard attempt was a big mistake that he regrets.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

• Re: Missouri State Game Thread

My gripe with going for a 2-pt. conversion is that as much as our kicking game has struggled let him kick the extra point. I like going for 2 when behind and not ahead and plus we need the practice kicking more than we do the 2-pt conversion.

Comment

Why must we always blame the kickers for their struggles? I seemed to have noticed a stiff southeast wind of about 15-25 mph during the game. Is it a coincidence the kickoffs were blown OB in the northwest corner of the football field? I think not. I mean come on would you blame yourself if your 250 yard golf drive started in the fairway and was blown way left or right? No you'd blame the wind. Give the kickers a break, they are inexperienced sophomores and freshmen. I seem to believe we were all riding Dean Priddy pretty hard after last year's WIU game.
                        To quote Stig:
                        “There was a wind,” said Stiegelmeier. “Ryan Berry threw a ball short and JaRon Harris had to make a great play or their kid intercepts the ball. I don’t know if anyone blames the wind, but a kicker kicking in the wind gets blamed. There is some built in pressure when the wind is blowing in Coughlin Alumni. They’ve played with great confidence, but right now their confidence is a little weak.”

Comment

TV's great write-up on the game.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...14/1002/sports

Be certain to add recommend to the story.

From the article....

The Jacks hung more yards on Missouri State (580) than Oklahoma State did (572). ... In topping the 250-yard mark for the sixth straight game, SDSU senior quarterback Ryan Berry stands second in school history in career passing yards (5,420), passing touchdowns (45) and completions (460). ... Despite consecutive season-low turnouts, SDSU is still averaging 11,232 fans per game heading into the home finale.

RR notes: Hope to see a higher turnout for our Seniors for this last game Sat. as Ryan & JaRon keep overcoming some stars of yesteryear for records.

Comment

Well, I'm hoping for attendance at the last game also...but current Weather Channel forecast is for a high of 32 degrees and a 15-18 mile an hour wind. We need 3700 to average 10,000 for the season...and I'm just hoping that all the fair-weather fans don't stay home!

Comment

We have a meaningful conference game in November, and senior day to boot, and we have to worry we won't get 3,700. That's just a bummer.

Seriously, could we possibly hope for a more fun team to watch? Our offense is among the leaders in the country. NFL prospect at wide receiver and a mature QB who's about as efficient as he can be. Running backs who fight for every inch. A defense that swarms and beats up opponents. The kicking game is even fun, even if it is fun like a demolition derby. Our coach deserves a place on the all-time all-good-guys team. Fans are right on top of the action in Coughlin. What more could you ask for?

It's college football. We only get five or six of these a year and this is the last one on the schedule. I relish every opportunity I get to go to Coughlin and watch the Jacks play.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Go to scheels or Cabelas or Bomgars and by some long underwear. Layer on the clothing starting with a good base that allows your skin to breath and wicks away any sweat. Make sure you have your head covered and warm feet. So, you need sock liners and a quality pair of cold weather socks. I recommend some boots with thinsulate, 32 degrees isn't that cold so 400-600 grams is more than enough. Make sure your neck is covered, I'm a turtle-neck guy just for that reason.

If our guys do their job the game should be well in hand by the end of the 3rd quarter. So, you can show up at 1:00 and be headed out by a little after 3:00. I'm sure we'll have hot chocolate (adult and children's variety) at the Yankton Tailgate site so stop by if you need some of that. I'll be there no later than 10:00. Not going to mess with a fire pit this year. I'd be delighted to see 5000 people there.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X