Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri State Game Thread

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
    I read on AGS that the attendance was 6,117 for today's game. Hopefully, next week will be better but I doubt it looking at the extended forecast (not that I put much stock in extended forecasts).
    Wow, very disappointing given the league race and nice weather. What's the problem with post-Hobo Day attendance? Was this a problem (weather aside) during the DII days?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      Wow, very disappointing given the league race and nice weather. What's the problem with post-Hobo Day attendance? Was this a problem (weather aside) during the DII days?

Yes. November games have always been horrible. It's time for that to change.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
        Harris has approx 500 yards receiving by my count.
        I believe he ment 500 feet.

Comment

Yeah, the crowd was pretty lame. Averaging 11,232 after today.

Missouri State is apparently an average football team, but we made them look very, very bad today. In the press conference, Stig and the players talked about gaining confidence after two straight conference wins and carrying it through to next week.

I was thinking maybe my view of our opponents is skewed by the crazy tough schedule we've had to date. I thought Missouri State looked awful today, but then again the last two home opponents were two very good teams. With the exception of Youngstown (and now Missouri State) we've seen some really good teams at CAS this year. I guess Missouri State is just a reminder that we're better than most FCS teams even if we're not quite as good as some of the best like Cal Poly.

I think Ryan Berry threw three slightly bad passes today. The rest were nearly perfect. Minett is just plain good (and so is Duffy). Harris, Fox, and Cochart had great games. We're a scary offensive team right now. And the defense showed a little of the fire we saw from them early in the year. If we can build a little more confidence against ISU next week, I feel good about our chances of picking off SIU and/or NDSU.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I am one of those that believes the best defense is an effective offense. I'd like to see the breakdowns by quarter but I am pretty confident MSU only had 15 yards of total offense in the 3rd quarter. Also the Jacks had the ball for 2/3 of the first quarter against the wind.

Another thing I noticed was that the two RS freshman starting on the line switched sides with the older two occasionally. It looked like they ran behind the older guys at a much higher frequency and at a much better rate.

Although the crowd was small they did a nice job of being loud. So much so that Stig couldn't get a timeout on their touchdown. He was screaming for it but none of the refs could hear him.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
              I know that my father, uncle and cousin (all season ticket holders) are all in the midst of the corn harvest. Even given the importance of this game and the great day for football, things had been so wet that now that they can combine corn no one is going to stop. They were not at the game and this type of conflict in the fall season will not change anytime soon.
              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Quality win, SDSU!

Comment

Good job, Jackistanians... Headed for a showdown in 20 days, 20 hours, and 9 minutes...

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                    thank you to everyone who participated in bringing back cowbells/flags/annoying cheers... We were kicke out but the cops thought we were funny and let us back in! We are doing it again next week so bring your bells!
                    Watching the Texas vs. Texas Tech game and they've shown much of the Tech crowd with cowbells. This isn't an NCAA rule, it's a Valley rule. Curious why the Big 12 doesn't care, but yet the Valley bans them. I still don't feel like we've gotten a good enough explanation and I'm still put off that no one knew until they were walking into the first home game.

Comment

Very nice win for State today. Both sides of the ball played well. Kyle was a monster today(I should say Duffy played well too). Ryan played a pretty smart game today. Looked like the line was giving him more time today. The refs missed the fumble really really really really bad. I almost thought Ed Hoculi was ref-ing the game today (NFL ref who really blew the call during the Chargers-Broncos game). Didn't really like the 2 pt conversion call but I think Duffy could have scored on it if he cut in earlier. Oh well, not gonna hold that against Duffy because he was bustin' his a$$ out there. Looking forward to another nice day next Saturday for the Jacks last home game.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                        Watching the Texas vs. Texas Tech game and they've shown much of the Tech crowd with cowbells...

Some bells just can't get too much coverage...

Comment

Random thoughts:

1) The fullest, most consistent game I've seen from the Jacks in a long time. Good first half, good second half, no crucial turnovers. Special teams were spotty, but that's the only real gripe.

2) Both teams got screwed on turnovers, but how they called the MSU QB down in the first half is...well, I just can't see any feasible way. It was stunning.

3) I wasn't pleased (at the time) that we just squandered 45 seconds at the end of the first half. We had the ball at the 40 and just let time run out. At that time, the game was still pretty close. Turned out to be no biggie, but we had all of our timeouts, I think. Don't get that one.

4) The attendance was pretty sad. Harvest I understand because everybody is behind this fall. Hunting...please. The students...please. Hell, the alumni association even gave away free food. If a good game, free food and 60+ degrees in November won't get people to games there's not much that will. That's some pathetic school spirit.

5) This kind of goes back to special teams, but on extra points we were very confused. And the decision to go for two in the second half was really, really unnecessary.

6) Wow, did the O like look much better. Everybody did. Nice work all around.

7) Missouri State looked like a team that has given up on the season.
                          They just rolled over.

8) More of what we saw today, please. Any complaints made above (except about fans) are really just ticky-tack things.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Coverage from the Springfield News-Leader

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...13/1002/SPORTS

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...0401/811020410
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                              3) I wasn't pleased (at the time) that we just squandered 45 seconds at the end of the first half. We had the ball at the 40 and just let time run out. At that time, the game was still pretty close. Turned out to be no biggie, but we had all of our timeouts, I think. Don't get that one.
                              It was 19-6 at that point, as I recall. Throw a pick and it could be 19-13 or 19-14. Was it Ron Lenz who said the most important two drives of the game are the last one in the first half and the first one in the second half? In that case, I think Stig just wanted to make sure we went into halftime feeling good about ourselves. Confidence has been an issue at times, and I think he wanted to protect the confidence that they'd been building at ISU and in the first half with MSU.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here's my take. I think the 40 yard line was about our limit on whether or not to take a shot given the our lead and how much time was left. My thought was that we should take a shot or two and see what happens. However, on the first play we let a guy come unblocked and gave up a sack. That would have been my limit and, evidently, it was the coaches as well. That could have been an injury and/or fumble. At that point I agreed that we should quit while we're ahead. Too much risk and too much of a low chance for reward. That said, if we had a kicker who was an FCS caliber kicker then I would have thought we needed to take another shot...but we don't even have reliable PATs at this point. Which, on a side note, may have been part of our reason for going for 2. I think we may have a better chance @ getting 50 percent of 2 point conversions than our kicker making them. Our kicking game is pathetic...we should recruit someone from the stands like Texas Tech. OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

Comment

Working...
                                X