Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day Attendance Guesses

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Exactly. Think about how the SDSU football fan base has expanded in the last several years. With the exception of the NDSU game last year, all of those 14,000+ crowds have been made up entirely of SDSU fans.
    I still don't think we'll truly know how far the SDSU fan base has expanded until November rolls around. Every one of those attendance record games was a "special event" game. Its going to be interesting to see how far attendance falls for Cal Poly and the remaining conference games.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I've been trying this year to bring people up to Brookings that haven't been to a Jackrabbits game or haven't been to one in several years. The reactions have been good, with some being surprised at the game atmosphere and vowing to come back now that there is a budding big-time football program in the state.

So all I can say is don't let those extra tickets go to waste. Bring a buddy to a Jackrabbits game. Recruit a new fan. People hear about the Jackrabbits having a good thing going, but until they get there and have a great fall afternoon/evening with the tailgating and the crowd and the band and the outstanding football product on the field they don't really know. Once they see it, they are more likely to come back.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
        I still don't think we'll truly know how far the SDSU fan base has expanded until November rolls around. Every one of those attendance record games was a "special event" game. Its going to be interesting to see how far attendance falls for Cal Poly and the remaining conference games.
        I am personally committing myself to make sure that I am at those November games. I want to see the attendance stay up for those post Hobo Day games.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
          I am personally committing myself to make sure that I am at those November games. I want to see the attendance stay up for those post Hobo Day games.
          I'll be there for sure but since the transition I've always been there. We need to convince those more casual fans to put on their long johns or under armour, their carharts, and a stocking hat and come to the game.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I'll be there for sure but since the transition I've always been there. We need to convince those more casual fans to put on their long johns or under armour, their carharts, and a stocking hat and come to the game.
            I know this came up last year and I don't want to start a huge debate, but it would be nice to hear if the band is willing/able to have a presence at those games. I can appreciate that cold weather is especially hampering to a band, but it would sure help the fans to stay active and add to the atmosphere so there is more to concentrate on than the cold weather.

Comment

Well attendance will be 1 less this year for I could not find anyone to trade shifts with at work. my streak of 9 in a row comes to an end. I guess I will get to head home after work and after the game is over to hopefully celebrate a jacks win by staying in and well, Merle Haggard said it best (which by the way i got my concert tickets today to see him the 13th), I think i'll just stay here and drink.

Goon
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                Me too. I may have to miss one because of a niece's birthday but I am working on finding a different weekend for it.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Have to coach a soccer game, but will be at the soccer camp on Sunday with the game to follow. Since my daughter isn't hear, I would much rather trade them to be able to go to the football game.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    I like to see more marketing, you would be suprised what a flashy commercial can do to peak people interest. We have the 4th rank team in the country coming to town and Cal Poly is highly ranked. On the other hand is the economy and gas price making people think ?
                    MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
                    http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
                    http://gojacks.com

Comment

15,358 I believe for today's game. BUT, I have to wonder, I saw they had a spot in the fence on the Northeast corner open and were taking tickets, but no turnstile. It wasn't real busy, so maybe they kept up in their heads, or maybe they had a clicker, I don't know, but it sure looked like 16k plus....loved the flyover as well.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

15521 is the official attendance making it the 4th largest crowd ever at CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                          15521 is the official attendance making it the 4th largest crowd ever at CAS.
                          And the largest for a Non NCC (relatively local) type team. We're definitely growing a larger base, especially with the GREAT, Entertaining, Feisty TEAM that Stig is bringing to SDSU.

Comment

bluehat I told you this week 15500! only off by 21

Comment

TOP CROWDS AT COUGHLIN-ALUMNI STADIUM
                              16,345 North Dakota State Nov. 17, 2007 W, 29-24
                              16,193 South Dakota Oct. 19, 1985 W, 24-12
                              15,866 South Dakota Oct. 18, 1975 W, 24-22
                              15,521 McNeese State Oct. 5, 2008 L 46-44
                              15,338 Stephen F. Austin Sept. 29, 2007 W, 45-0
                              15,248 UC Davis Oct. 28, 2006 W, 22-21
                              15,153 South Dakota Oct. 22, 1977 L, 10-15
                              14,503 Missouri-Rolla Oct. 22, 2005 W, 64-28
                              14,920 Texas State Sept. 22, 2007 W, 38-3
                              14382 Western Illinois, Sept 13, 2008, W, 24-22
                              14,286 Augustana Oct. 8, 1988 W, 37-22
                              14,147 Augustana Sept. 28, 1974 W, 35-6

Comment

It's interesting to note that the fourth, fifth and sixth largest crowds at CAS came against non-regional teams, which shows just how much the attendance has improved these days. In the first three, we had lots of fans (particularly from NDSU last year) in attendance, while Saturday's crowd and the other two mentioned had no presence of any measure of opponent fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X