McNeese State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: McNeese State

Judging by Stig's tone yesterday Most of the injured Jacks won't play tomorrow.

Comment

That sucks... I'm really worried about our injuries! What is going on with everyone being hurt this year? It was always a tough game and now with all of the injuries, it is going to be a VERY hard game to win. Hopefully a little hobo day and home field advantage will help!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
        Judging by Stig's tone yesterday Most of the injured Jacks won't play tomorrow.
        Schroeder isn't going to be playing, he's not ready and we can't risk getting him hurt and have him miss the rest of the year. I don't know about the other guys. I think Eric's absence is the biggest reason we have struggled so much on defense the last 3 games, both run and pass defense.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Good Luck Rabbits on Hobo Day. Unfortunately going camping this weekend so no internet unless I find someone with it. So I will be scouring the ESPN's for the score. Go Big, Go Blue. And I don't mean Michigan.

Comment

S. Dakota St. jacked up for Cowboys from the L.C.A.P.

"A big crowd, party atmosphere and game with two ranked teams is nothing new to McNeese. "

Every time McNeese State steps onto the football field it matters.
            Every game is important, even a win over NAIA Southern Virginia.
            But on Saturday, the Cowboys embark on perhaps their most important game of the season when they take on their first Football Championship Subdivision opponent in South Dakota State.
            Sure, going to North Carolina and holding their own against the Tar Heels was a great accomplishment, but it’s time for the Cowboys to see what they can do against a team on their own level — a team that will be gunning for McNeese, much the way the Cowboys went after North Carolina.
            South Dakota State is new to the FCS. The Jackrabbits moved up from Division II in 2004 and completed the requirements to become an active FCS member prior to the 2008-09 academic year.
            Hosting No. 4 McNeese State (2-1) is a big deal in itself for the 23rdranked Jackrabbits (3-2). Such a big deal that it was set up for Hobo Day — the annual homecoming tradition which is the equivalent of a Dakota Mardi Gras.
            What happens in Brookings, S.D., stays in Brookings, right?
            For the Cowboys, though, this trip is all about business. No Hobo Day for the players.
            Whether they like it or not, want it or not, the job of making sure South Dakota State doesn’t skyrocket to the top of the FCS world falls on the Cowboys’ shoulders.
            McNeese sure can’t count on the rest of the Southland Conference, long looked upon as one of the top leagues in the FCS, but sports a 1-7 mark against the upstart Jackrabbits.
            After losing 42-12 to Texas State in 2005, South Dakota State has reeled off seven consecutive wins over Southland teams — including a 20-17 win in Lake Charles in 2006.
            “We are very concerned about what they did last year,” Viator said. “They outscored our conference 121-13 last year.”
            But, as they say, last year is history.
            Now it’s the biggest party of the year in South Dakota with one of the highest ranked opponents ever enter Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.
            The Jackrabbits are 50-15 at home under 12th-year head coach John Stiegelmeier and knew what they were doing when they scheduled this game for Hobo Day.
            Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, which holds 15,000, is expected to be at overflow on Saturday. That would easily make it one of the top attended games at the stadium. The Jackrabbits averaged 5,547 fans per game in 2003 and have averaged 13,107 for their two home games this season.
            Three of the largest crowds in stadium history came last season, two of which were against Southland schools. South Dakota State drew 14,920 fans for a 38-3 win over Texas State and 15,338 for a 45-0 Hobo Day rout of Stephen F. Austin.
            “The atmosphere around our games is light years ahead of where it was four to five years ago,” Stiegelmeier said. “We have close to 5,000 more fans per game and we are seeing people who use to come to just one game a year who are now buying season tickets.”
            This is McNeese’s first trip to Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, which smells more and more like a set up everyday, but one the Cowboys can handle.
            A big crowd, party atmosphere and game with two ranked teams is nothing new to McNeese.
            But it’s still the most important game of the season for the Cowboys. A game that will set the tone heading into Southland Conference play from here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Schroeder isn't going to be playing, he's not ready and we can't risk getting him hurt and have him miss the rest of the year. I don't know about the other guys. I think Eric's absence is the biggest reason we have struggled so much on defense the last 3 games, both run and pass defense.

Without a doubt. He and Kjerstad are huge losses. Schroeder is eating a double-team on every play which allows the linebackers and other lineman to have more space and favorable matchups for both the run and pass. Kjerstad is missed as much for his hitting ability as much as for his pass coverage. The first couple games of the season he was flying around and absolutely hammering people. We miss that 4th linebacker in the secondary causing fumbles and bringing a big stick.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                Without a doubt. He and Kjerstad are huge losses. Schroeder is eating a double-team on every play which allows the linebackers and other lineman to have more space and favorable matchups for both the run and pass. Kjerstad is missed as much for his hitting ability as much as for his pass coverage. The first couple games of the season he was flying around and absolutely hammering people. We miss that 4th linebacker in the secondary causing fumbles and bringing a big stick.
                Plus he had 2 picks. I think we've seen other db's miss balls he would have picked off. The 2 starting O-linemen in street clothers isn't going to help. I know the guys we put on the field are going to play their butts off but I'm worried about the trenches. If we can't establish a run game and control the clock they are going to wear down our D and might light up that nice scoreboard at CAS.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I too am worried about the injuries affecting the outcome of this game, but see this as an opportunity to take this season to a playoff level. Even with the injuries I am going to believe that the Jacks will make things work.

Just image - a Hobo Day win followed with a tough win over Cal Poly next week, then the Jacks should win at Indiana State then at home against Missouri State and Illinois State. That would mean a possible 8-2 going into a tough 2 game season ending road trip to Southern Illinois and North Dakota State.

A split of McNeese State and Cal Poly games still gives them a chance to still head into those last two road games at 7-3.

I would love to see the Rabbits get a shot at the FCS playoffs, and a win this week would be a great first step to getting there. A loss doesn't end all hope of that playoff birth but it makes Cal Poly next week a must-win contest.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

If those guys are questionable there is no sense in playing them. I think you just have to take your chances playing without those guys this week in order to get healthy over the bye week. No sense risking them being hurt the rest of the year for one big game.

Comment

I am curious about the rash of injuries on the D side. Are they basically sprains? Apparently these injuries are on the mend and it appears to be some down time needed to heal.
                      It does not sound like any reconstructive surgery is needed otherwise these guys would be done for the year.

Kjerstad, Schoeder, Fischer and Campell were our aces before the injuries no doubt about it, but we need others to step now and give it their best. I think we fans need to be loud and proud tomorrow. We got our chance to win and McNeese is going to have to take that away from us.

Comment

Campbell will likely play tomorrow but not start. However highly unlikely that Schroeder will play.

Comment

Nice and cool up here. Some of the McNeese players I've talked to around the hotel are excited about playing in some cooler weather. A lot of time we don't get weather that is very cool down in Lake Charles until November.

Doc

P.S. Heading up Brookings away at 9AM

Comment

Lets go rabbits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Hobo Day everyone.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                            X