X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jim Langers Editorial Brookings Register

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
    I read this entire thread (and the letter to the editor) and could not agree more. You are all spot on! Don't people understand that supporting your team means getting as drunk as possible, acting like overgrown children and then passing out in a tree line instead of going to the game? Those sad people who just go to the game sober and actually cheer for the Jacks while actually being clear headed enough to understand what is happening make me sick. They are NOT true fans. True fans are beyond the point of intoxication and have given their own minds over to mob mentality and lack of oxygen.

UPD is evil. Period. They are so mean when they enforce the rules that we should all have been mature enough to follow on our own. Yep, the real issue here is UPD and not the grown men who urinate on the ground with children running around throwing footballs. The students who flip each other off and yell profanities while little kids look on in shock and amazement. The people who hold their Bratwurst like male sex organs and pretend to hump the air. It is UPD. After all they make the tailgate rules and they decided without any administrative direction what to do and how to do it. Not to mention the Hobo Day fiasco where people threw beer bottles at Police Officers and their cars in a drunken rage when asked to actually attend the game. I don't know how they tricked the crowd into throwing bottles, but it was clever for sure. That's UPD for you.

UPD needs to turn a blind eye when 40-50 year olds hide in the trees sucking back beers at half time. Aged Alumni should be allowed to make Freshman look like mature adults whenever they want to. After all, they do give a lot of money to the University and that entitles them to break the rules and the law. UPD also needs to smile and say "thank you Sir" when someone tells them to go "F___ themselves", that's the kind of customer service we expect from a law enforcement agency. Can't they just pick and choose what laws to enforce? Maybe a little more inconsistency would make things better? Alumni and parents are not interested in having a professional group of policeman protect their kids, not at the expense of ruining a good drunken stooper anyway.

In conclusion, UPD STOP DOING YOUR JOB! Instead can't we just designate the tailgate area as a lawless place to do whatever we want in the name of true sportsmanship and pride in SDSU? I know there is a lot of inappropriate things I have wanted to try and the tailgate area seems like the perfect place. With UPD there has never been a serious injury, rape, assault, alcohol poisoning, major theft, etc. That is NOT what we want UPD! Back off and let the mob rule! I am a true fan and supporter of SDSU. I will prove it on Hobo Days when you see me drunk and urinating in the parking lot of Coughlin Alumni Stadium. Could one you other true fans please stop by and hold my beer for me?
    Not sure how you misinterpret a couple of posts and decide to focus on misbehavior by a few individuals and apply it to the majority. I can just imagine how many other times you've overreacted and applied minority rules because "you know better". You reference a riot that occurred 18 years ago and presume that the current attitude of the UPD is based upon that, huge assumption. You presume Jim Langer to be a drunken middle-age fan who would rather urinate in the trees than support the team. Should I go on? I'll be happy to continue a discourse if its on more reasonable terms.

If you have a problem with people drinking alcohol stick to the AA or MADD forums. There are plenty of Jackrabbit fans who don't drink that enjoy tailgating and ask the UPD to be more reasonable. Clearly, you feel their role is being properly served. I'm okay with that but lets take it easy with the generalizations. Maybe I just wasted 2 minutes of time posting this, perhaps I'm overreacting. Thanks for the "reality check". I wonder if this tailgating thing will become popular elsewhere?

Its pretty easy to stay out of the tailgate area and just attend the game. Use your priority parking pass, park in the west lot, walk into the stadium and sit on your butt in your seat for 80 minutes. Get back up, get in your Cadillac and drive back to your duplex, you'll be in bed before 10 pm and you're likely not to encounter anyone you consider repulsive. See you at Hobo Day. Please avoid the YJC tailgate site.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You are right on the money. It's just a few people behaving like that, only 50-60% or so. Not every person is having such a good time. The students are pretty good for the most part. I am not against drinking, did you not read my post? I am for it enthusiastically! I think that we should go to every varsity athletic event intoxicated. That is the SDSU way! Why don't they sell beer at Frost Arena! I bet UPD had something to do with that! EVIL!

Riot? 18 years ago? I was talking about the tailgate party last October. Now that was a good mind numbing drunk. But UPD ruined that too by arresting 12 tuned Alumni who jumped on patrol cars and smashed their windshields. It was all in fun. Go Jacks!

Comment

I dont know about anyone else, but I am tiring of this thread. Seems like its getting to be a deep dig into the bag of opinions to express a new one that makes any sense or expands the quality of expression.

I do know that I am responsible for my actions and really have no control over others and that's about all that can be said.

Comment

I am compelled to direct the attention of all posters on this thread to this newly hatched board moderation policy on political discussions. It appears to be applicable here as well. Click on the link to read the policy:

Rules for political discussions

Let's stay away from flame wars, OK?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It appears members of Brookings finest police department, the UPD have found this board. Not surprising as they have members of the force on facebook.

Comment

I think reality check needs a hug... I'm suprised he has time to write on here because I heard someone has been parked in the Larson's 20 minute parking for 22 and a half minutes!!!! GO GET EM!

Yeah he is right though. SDSU is the only college tailgating in America and we have alcohol. Maybe the UPD should go on a field trip to other tailgating events around the country so they can see that the Backyard isn't Brooking's version of Detroit's 3 mile! How dare my dad go out and have a miller lite during halftime while he waits for the second half. Should the UPD be around enforcing the rules? Yes, and I don't think anywhere on here is a post that says different. The whole thread is about how things are being handled. I bet none of the UPD were young college students and never drank more than they should have. They must have a real good screening process for hiring. I'm sure people will get mad at my post and scold me but I think I speak for almost everyone that I know and things need to be looked at a little differently.

Comment

While I obviously don't think everyone goes to tailgate goes to get plastered out of their mind, nor do I believe it's appropriate for UPD to badger sober people to vacate the tailgating premises, I tend to agree more with RealityCheck.

That's all I'll say.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Reality check brings up some good points, but could be a little more tacftul in how he does it. I think we can all agree that there are problems with the current setup.

The UPD is in a tough place. They are hired by the university to enforce the rules for tailgating. It is the fans responsibility to follow the rules made by the administration, whether they agree with them or not. UPD isn't being hired for PR or a welcoming committee, they are being hired to enforce the rules layed out for the tailgate area.

Personally, I haven't had any problems with the UPD in my two times tailgating this year. The only comment I heard from the UPD at my site was to put beer cans in koozies and to pour bottle contents into a plastic cup. They were courteous in asking and even told a friend where to find a plastic cup from a person in a neighboring camp. After the WIU game I picked up my camp and watched the entire postgame press conference from my vehicle and wasn't harrassed or even approached by UPD.

If you respect the rules and are courteous to the UPD you won't have any problems. If you're only worried about another beer or aren't respectful of people around you, chances are you will have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                    Overall, I agree that the UPD seems to overstep their bounds. I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but something definitely changed starting around 1999-2000.
                    Wasn't this around the time the Donut Barn closed? We might be on to something here.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

UPD? I wish I was part of UPD. Are they hiring? I would love to go out into the tailgate area as part of their massive uncontrolled "brute force" and yield my authority. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't hire me thanks to my criminal record and unfinished college degree.

Actually, and this may come as a surprise, not everyone thinks the tailgate area is a good idea. A lot of people think it's just a venue for underage students to drink while hiding in a crowd, a place for alum to pretend they are back in their teens and an opportunity for children to see things they shouldn't see. Unfortunately common sense and citizenship will continue to be cast aside for the chance of raising money and selling tickets. Although admittedly sarastic, my point was that all these people who are upset about the tailgate rules should take it up with the rule makers and not the people TOLD to go enforce the rules. Better yet, since we all know what the rules are, how about we just follow them and let this entire issue resolve itself. I am pretty sure that no one was ever arrested at the tailgate area for packing up and leaving the area on time or for not dumping a can of beer on a female officer and calling her the b-word (I saw that happen last year). Now please go re-read Jacks-02's post. Brilliant.

Comment

UPD? I wish I was part of UPD. Are they hiring? I would love to go out into the tailgate area as part of their massive uncontrolled "brute force" and yield my authority. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't hire me thanks to my criminal record and unfinished college degree.

Actually, and this may come as a surprise, not everyone thinks the tailgate area is a good idea. A lot of people think it's just a venue for underage students to drink while hiding in a crowd, a place for alum to pretend they are back in their teens and an opportunity for children to see things they shouldn't see. Unfortunately common sense and citizenship will continue to be cast aside for the chance of raising money and selling tickets. Although admittedly sarastic, my point was that all these people who are upset about the tailgate rules should take it up with the rule makers and not the people TOLD to go enforce the rules. Better yet, since we all know what the rules are, how about we just follow them and let this entire issue resolve itself. I am pretty sure that no one was ever arrested at the tailgate area for packing up and leaving the area on time or for not dumping a can of beer on a female officer and calling her the b-word (I saw that happen last year). Now please go re-read Jacks-02's post. Brilliant.
                        You do make some valid points, but your decision to present your argument (is it an argument?) in a condescending, obnoxious fashion forces me to disregard most of what you wrote. I chose to disregard most of it, because after reading the first few lines of each post, I realized that you are an unhappy person and I didn't want you to ruin my day. I will continue to tailgate when I attend football games to enjoy the beautiful outdoors, the great atmosphere, the food, beverages, and camraderie. Go Jacks!
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          I will continue to tailgate when I attend football games to enjoy the beautiful outdoors, the great atmosphere, the food, beverages, and camraderie. Go Jacks!
                          Can I get an amen! Thank you KULawJack!

Enjoy what we've got people and stop bitching about it. Just a handful of years ago tailgating didn't even exist at SDSU. We aren't going to become Iowa St., Iowa or any other big school in regards to anything in athletics anytime soon. Why we think our tailgating should be like theirs is no different.

So, cheers to EVERYONE enjoying the tailgate at Hobo Day!

Most of all...GO JACKS!

Comment

Thank you. I was waiting for a few of you to berate me for my "condescending" and "obnoxious" writing style. You are correct, my comments were sarcastic and at times rude, not the the type of post that brings respect and favor to the SDSU community. Just like the behavior of a lot of tailgaters does not represent SDSU well. Now, should you be denigrated and insulted like the officers of UPD for not allowing me to get away with such demeanor? That's what was happening to them in this thread.

Comment

Thank you. I was waiting for a few of you to berate me for my "condescending" and "obnoxious" writing style. You are correct, my comments were sarcastic and at times rude, not the the type of post that brings respect and favor to the SDSU community. Just like the behavior of a lot of tailgaters does not represent SDSU well. Now, should you be denigrated and insulted like the officers of UPD for not allowing me to get away with such demeanor? That's what was happening to them in this thread.
                              And some would say that certain members of the UPD do not represent SDSU well, with their "condescending" and "obnoxious" style. And that peaceful tailgaters shouldn't be "denigrated and insulted for not being allowed to get away with such a demeanor."

Comment

We can argue in circles for as long as you'd like but most everyone is going to get tired of the rhetoric. Its fun to play the game for awhile and then it just gets annoying. Mr. Langer was unhappy with the way he was treated by the UPD, he is entitled to an opinion about that. I expressed a displeasure about their unnecessary attention to my business while preparing to vacate the premises of "The Backyard". I'm quite certain I didn't do so in a condensing or obnoxious fashion but I often don't recognize when I am giving that impression so I apologize if it seemed that way.

I am quite pleased with the opportunity to spend time with members of the Yankton community and surrounding area at the YJC tailgate site. We also sit together in the grandstands. We share a common theme and that brings people together in fellowship, I think thats a good thing. Not once has their been any misbehavior from anyone in our area, at least not that I have knowledge about.

Its a two way street, the privilege to tailgate needs to be handled with respect while those being respectful need to be allowed the privilege without interference. If you break the rules as an individual you should lose the opportunity as an individual. To approach everyone in the area as someone who is breaking the rules is not the proper way to approach enforcement of the current rules.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X