Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Illinois

What can anyone tell me about Western Illinois? I know they played Arkansas close in week 1, and I believe they were young last year and return most of their starters. Anybody have any good info on them besides that?

Re: Western Illinois

I was wondering about Western Illinois this morning too and looked at them a little bit. As far as I got (since I'm at work) was to see that they have a great senior halfback Herb Donaldson, who averaged almost 150 yards per contest last year. They should be a good test for our front 7. I'll have to wait until tonight to do more research, but here's the link to the bio of Donaldson.

http://www.wiuathletics.com/ViewArti...&ATCLID=631513
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Their sophomore QB, Matt Barr can run, too. He came in to replace the starter last year during the 4 OT game last year and really exploited our defense at times. We seem to have some trouble with a QB who can run.

Their kicker is an NCAA record setter. They run a strange defense with three down lineman and a "Leatherneck" linebacker-type who roams around. It's kind of like Cal Poly's odd but usually effective defense, with people wandering around before the snap.

They're very good, but it's tough to say just how good. They played Arkansas tough, but that's a program in transition with Bobby Petrino putting a new system in place. Then they beat the daylights out of Quincy and, well... that's Quincy.

All I know is we played them very tough last year so it'll be a battle.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Western Illinois has some good players indeed. But looking at their past two opponents I find it hard to really compare how they stack up to us. The University of Arkansas barely got by the Univ of Louisiana-Monroe by one point 27-26 this past weekend. The game they had this weekend with Quincy University is hard to judge also. Quincy is a school rum by the Fransicans and plays NAIA in football, Div 2 in other sports. Quincy's roster is dominated by freshman and sophomores with 22 seniors and juniors. They've had two winning seasons in 13 years. We came close last year. I would need to see more of WIU to judge how good they are before making a decision. But if Coach Stig has the team prepared like last weekend on our home turf I give us a chance.

Comment

I like school rums

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
            Western Illinois has some good players indeed. But looking at their past two opponents I find it hard to really compare how they stack up to us. The University of Arkansas barely got by the Univ of Louisiana-Monroe by one point 27-26 this past weekend. The game they had this weekend with Quincy University is hard to judge also. Quincy is a school rum by the Fransicans and plays NAIA in football, Div 2 in other sports. Quincy's roster is dominated by freshman and sophomores with 22 seniors and juniors. They've had two winning seasons in 13 years. We came close last year. I would need to see more of WIU to judge how good they are before making a decision. But if Coach Stig has the team prepared like last weekend on our home turf I give us a chance.
            Didn't USD beat Quincy in similar fashion last year or the year before?
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

2006 USD 59 Quincy 0

Comment

From my memory of last year's game, Berry's first game at QB had alot to do with the outcome. He was hit hard on a couple option plays early on in last year's game and played a little gunshy after that. He missed a couple of WR's down the sidelines at various points in the game and one that was a sure touchdown if he had put it on the money. Also, as alluded to, the sophmore QB came in a picked up big runs whenever we had their backs up against the wall. I thought on several occasions we were going to pull away in last year's game only to have some momentum killer stop us. Our passing game struggled last year and they keyed on the run making it difficult for us to get anything going offensively. The whole game felt like watching a car run with cylinder missing. Lot's of herky jerky flow to the offense. The D played well, but kept giving up the big run by the QB. If I remember correctly, the game ended on an INT by Berry? If I'm wrong there, I apologize.

I look for our passing game to be very effective this year. I think Berry will have another great day. Harris was the main guy being overthrown last year. I think he'll catch a couple of those this year. I don't think their QB will catch us off guard this year, either. I think they will have trouble moving the ball against us. I don't want to be too optimistic, but I really like our chances in this game. I think we are the better team coming in. (Man I feel like an NDSU fan saying that - no smack or offense intended)
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Well, if it will help MJA, I think we are the better team coming in as well...and like you say, that's not smack talk. Your recollection of last year's game is correct...we were there. Indeed, Berry had a tough game, but he picked it up later and a year has gone by. I look for us to be very solid Saturday. If Western is solid also, it will be a tight game IMHO.

P. S. This is not intended to pick on anybody, but it would seem like this might be the right thread to point out the proper spelling of Kyle Minnett's name. I know, it is the journalist in me, but nobody really likes to see their name misspelled. Being an old f*-#t, I know with texting etc. lots of things are shortened, I just still believe in the importance of people's names. End of sermon...sorry!
                  Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 09-08-2008, 09:16 PM. Reason: Add a P.S.

Comment

Anyone know if Western is flying or driving for the game? That would factor in. It's a long drive from Illinois - 7 hours? I know the drives up to UND back in the day had an effect on the games.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      P. S. This is not intended to pick on anybody, but it would seem like this might be the right thread to point out the proper spelling of Kyle Minnett's name. I know, it is the journalist in me, but nobody really likes to see their name misspelled. Being an old f*-#t, I know with texting etc. lots of things are shortened, I just still believe in the importance of people's names. End of sermon...sorry!
                      I picture your monitor as having red pen/marker all over it. :-) This is meant to be funny and not a slam for you correcting the spelling.
                      Last edited by bub94; 09-09-2008, 11:13 AM.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                        Anyone know if Western is flying or driving for the game? That would factor in. It's a long drive from Illinois - 7 hours? I know the drives up to UND back in the day had an effect on the games.
                        UND was a piece of cake....I remember UNC....Bus out there and wonder why we didn't play well.
                        Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                        Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                          I picture your monitor as having red pen/marker all over it. :-)
                          My name is rarely spelled right. That doesn't excuse me for spelling Minnett wrong but I'm not about to lose sleep over it. I'd go into a long discourse about the truly important things in life but..........

Now, for the game, I can't wait see the guys hit the field again Saturday. I kind of like the open area to the north of the stadium. It was great to watch last years NDSU game on the video screen and see our flags blowing in the breeze while seated in the stadium. I expect a better contest from Western Illinois. They aren't going to take us lightly. That being said, we should handle them at home.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                            I picture your monitor as having red pen/marker all over it. :-) This is meant to be funny and not a slam for you correcting the spelling.
                            I know the old f**t. It's not red marker, it's whiteout. Just kidding. Have a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                              I know the old f**t. It's not red marker, it's whiteout. Just kidding. Have a good day.
                              That's even better. LOL!!
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                              X