Gameday Atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gameday Atmosphere

They should build new stands in the South endzone for the band and possibly some student seating. Include a band locker room and storage rooms under the stands. This could be the new home of 'The Pride'. Add in a few restrooms and maybe a concession stand as well. I would think the money could be raised especially with the connection to the band. Make it fit in nicely with the new stands that will eventually occupy the East and West Stands and the horseshoe would nearly be complete. Does anyone know where the band stores their equipment now or if they have a locker room?

Also, I heard this weekend that the new Dykhouse center will be built close to the field. Somebody in-the-know said it would be built 'up to the field goals or real close'. I have not seen the drawings yet however, so I'm as interested as everybody else as to the exact location and layout of the building.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
      Forgive me if this has been covered, but how did the field look Saturday night? Watching on the internet, I noticed the new logo at mid field and the Gateway logo along the sideline. I thought the rabbit looked disproportionately small. Does BHS have a home game this Friday at CAS? Did they last Friday? Looking forward to seeing the field for myself this Saturday.
      I thought the new logos looked decent but didn't think the turf looked like it was in very good shape. That was game 1 of 6 to be played by SDSU at home this year. I wonder what the turf will look like come end of the season. I don't know how long a deal we signed with BHS when we put the lights up at CAS, but I think something really needs to be done to fix the current setup.

Comment

I'm in agreement here, logos looked good and turf looked rough.

Comment

BHS did not play there last week. Just the saturday before.

the field did look a little rough but not b/c of play on the field. Remember also who paid for the lights to go up at CAS

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy_jacks View Post
            BHS did not play there last week. Just the saturday before.

the field did look a little rough but not b/c of play on the field. Remember also who paid for the lights to go up at CAS
            I am sure it wasn't the ones in the know on this board that frequently use the pronoun phrase "they should" that paid for the lights.

Comment

SDSU and BHS have a great relationship. There are several joint use agreements in place. SDSU will finally be able to host home track meets in the near future b/c BHS built a new facility.

I few years ago I was on the field turf train at CAS. Now, I'm not so sure. I really like natural grass. But, that would take care of the turf issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                SDSU and BHS have a great relationship. There are several joint use agreements in place. SDSU will finally be able to host home track meets in the near future b/c BHS built a new facility.

I few years ago I was on the field turf train at CAS. Now, I'm not so sure. I really like natural grass. But, that would take care of the turf issues.
                After that game a few years ago that shall not be mentioned further, I am 100% for artificial field turf of some kind. Not necessarily astro turf like the dome, but some kind of astro-grass type that looks and feels like real grass.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                  After that game a few years ago that shall not be mentioned further, I am 100% for artificial field turf of some kind. Not necessarily astro turf like the dome, but some kind of astro-grass type that looks and feels like real grass.
                  I think you are thinking of the stuff that is in place at Howard Wood and is becoming really popular called FieldTurf. I know Stu Whitney did an article on it a few weeks back after Harrisburg put it in as well as O'Gorman. The Twins have a variation of it in the Dome and most new places are using it.

Comment

Talking to Dr. Oien at the open house before the season he assured that in the future Jackrabbit football will be played on an artificial surface. No timeline or anything like that, but I asked him point blank if they were going to change the surface and he nodded his head and I shook mine.

Comment

When the Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center is completed, what are the plans for the current football locker room? I suspect it becomes the visiting locker room, but does anyone know for sure. I thought they maybe become storage for SDSU game day staff, cheer squads etc. I do not think any storage exists currently. I also thought another set of rest rooms might be the most appreciated by fans or possible concessions if they were worth remoldeling. Maybe just tear them down for some thing newer/ better.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                        When the Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center is completed, what are the plans for the current football locker room? I suspect it becomes the visiting locker room, but does anyone know for sure. I thought they maybe become storage for SDSU game day staff, cheer squads etc. I do not think any storage exists currently. I also thought another set of rest rooms might be the most appreciated by fans or possible concessions if they were worth remoldeling. Maybe just tear them down for some thing newer/ better.
                        Visiting lockerrooms.

Comment

Huh....I guess I assumed there would be a visiting lockerroom in the new facility as well.

At least they won't have to go clear to Frost anymore.
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Prior to Saturday’s game, South Dakota State University officials and lead donor Dana Dykhouse are expected to break ground on the Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center to be constructed directly north of Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.
                            The ceremony is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. in the stadium’s north end zone.
                            Construction is scheduled to begin in October and will mark the first stage of a master plan to dramatically modernize athletic facilities at SDSU.
                            The 30,000-square-foot facility will house football coaches’ offices, meeting rooms and a locker room, as well as strength and condititioning facilities and a fully equipped academic center for all Jackrabbit student-athletes.
                            The facility is scheduled to be completed in November 2009.

Comment

I don't believe any new playnig fields are done with the old style turf anymore. Even the McKennan sports bubble facility in Sioux Falls has the newer artificial grass type turf. This is the kind where if you watch closely you'll see the little trail of black rubber specs fly up underneath players' feet or when the ball hits the ground.

Harrisburg just installed this same turf on their new high school football field as well so the cost must not be too prohibitive.
                              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                                I don't believe any new playnig fields are done with the old style turf anymore. Even the McKennan sports bubble facility in Sioux Falls has the newer artificial grass type turf. This is the kind where if you watch closely you'll see the little trail of black rubber specs fly up underneath players' feet or when the ball hits the ground.

Harrisburg just installed this same turf on their new high school football field as well so the cost must not be too prohibitive.
                                I've figured they wouldn't install the old astro turf anymore, I just couldn't recall the name FieldTurf off the top of my head (I was thinking it was a little more complex than that), and was too lazy to look anything up. Athletes would be too prone to injuries on the original astroturf. It appears the cost of field turf is coming down if this many high schools are making the investment towards it. Hopefully its up there on the priority list, in my mind this is something that should be done at the time of the first phase of a stadium upgrade, if not even before that. Grass is nice, but its just not something easily maintainable in the fall in Brookings.

Comment

Working...
                                X