Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Youngstown State

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    Considering how many times Berry was put on his backside shortly after throwing those short passes I don't know that we had enough time to attempt much for longer routes.

I think it was a good game plan. We moved the ball pretty well and were getting first downs. If we didn't have 6 turnovers the coaches would be looking pretty smart...

I agree. If memory serves me correctly, I think the few times Berry tried to go deep he was picked off. One was a deep out/flag route that he overthrew badly. I think the coaches began calling the shoter routes in an attempt to get Berry some confidence in his throws. This has to be a throw-away game for Berry. He needs to pretend it never happened and come into this week throwing like he threw for 6 TDs last week, not 5 INTs.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
      I agree. If memory serves me correctly, I think the few times Berry tried to go deep he was picked off. One was a deep out/flag route that he overthrew badly. I think the coaches began calling the shoter routes in an attempt to get Berry some confidence in his throws. This has to be a throw-away game for Berry. He needs to pretend it never happened and come into this week throwing like he threw for 6 TDs last week, not 5 INTs.
      The O-line needs to give Berry that extra second that he wasn't getting in the Cyclone game. Given how YSU's D held up vs Ohio St. this will be another trench warfare game.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
        Just got home from an extended Ames and beyond Iowa trip and my vocals are still not fully repaired.

Most of the ISU game threads are old and I was not around to comment on them. One thing to take from the previous game is please throw the ball farther than 5 yards, enough said. JaRon also commented on it in the Argus yesterday, so there is some obvious disappointment about it in the locker room.

This team should not hold their head and should come into this game ready to play and win.

Kyle Minnett is no Beenie Wells, but the key to the game is to establish him early, regardless of YSU's front seven strength. Then let Berry play action a little and get his stroke back.

GO JACKS!!!
        Good point, but the key to the one back offense is taking what the defense is giving you...simple rules(all about #'s)...8 in the box you throw the ball, You try to run on this and your simply out numbered.
        As for JaRon...we need to use his speed, if he can't get off jambs cleanly...move him into the slot...or motion him so he can get a clean release. In cover 2, the weakness's are the deep middle and sideline between corner and safeties....if the WR can't get off the jamb, makes for a long day for the QB
        Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
        Muhammad Ali

Comment

I can't wait for the firs MVFC game as CAS. It should be a great game and I look for the Jacks to compete on every down, offense and defense. I was please with special teams last week and look for that to continue to be solid. Very few penalties last week, we need that to continue.

No way Berry is going to get picked 5 times for 200 plus return yards. Several factors contibuted to that including nerves, poor decision making, and most important a very athletic and talented ISU defense.

We will have the YHC tailgate lot rolling at 1:00 pm sharp. Please stop by. I'll be disappointed if we don't have at least 13,000 at this game.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

We will have the YHC tailgate lot rolling at 1:00 pm sharp. Please stop by. I'll be disappointed if we don't have at least 13,000 at this game.
            I agree. These next two weeks with the home/night/conference games in Sept. surpassing 13k should be a given.

I feel good about our crowd and the support it can give for pushing the Jacks to a victory to get the season on the right track.

GO JACKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
              I think you're right about the flag route. The other 4 interceptions were all by defensive lineman or linebackers within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage though.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                I think you're right about the flag route. The other 4 interceptions were all by defensive lineman or linebackers within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage though.
                As discussed before, Berry made poor decisions or executed plays poorly on each of those instances. Give credit to the ISU defense for their athleticism. Its okay to be critical of a senior QB who makes that many bad decisions as well. Those picks hurt badly and the 200 plus yards in returns completely killed us from a field position standpoint. I watched that game closely and Berry made some great passes over the middle. ISU's LB's then wised up and jumped the route for a pick. Berry didn't see the guy until the ball left his hand. Ryan had a good completion percentage but if you watch the film you will see that many of his "swing" passes and passes in the "flat" were poorly thrown making it difficult for the receiving player to run for yards after the catch. Again, I understand that ISU was applying some pressure. Ryan HAS to play better or its going to be a long season. Thats a fact.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Oddly enough, coming out of the game against ISU, I'm not concerned at all about our QB when thinking about the season ahead. I liken that game to a Greg Maddux game where he gets lit up for 8 runs. Those things just happen occasionally in sports. If you're playing Madden on PS3, you just reset the game and start over. Berry needs to hit reset and forget it. I have no problem believing he'll do just that. Hell, he did it last year and he had nothing to fall back on except his belief in himself that he could do it.

My worries coming out of the game. Our secondary. ISU's passing attack was as basic as it gets. Their QB's were both noted for their athletism which is a nice way of saying they aren't the most gifted of passers. Yet, our secondary looked lost on most passing plays. I realize a lot of that has to do with the fact that we were often selling out to stop the run, but it concerns me. That's to be expected with the inexperience we have back there, also. This week should be a good week to see what we're dealing with. From most accounts, YSU is short on offensive talent and will likely smash mouth with us. Gives our secondary another game of seasoning.

I have to say I'm very happy to eat my words from earlier last year regarding Priddy. He punted great the two opportunities he had. Both were much needed and in pressure situations. He will only become more and more consistent over time. A good punter is going to be a huge weapon in the MVC.

It's strange how good I felt after watching a 44-17 loss. I was unhappy with lost opportunities, but very happy with our line play. Minnet looks like the real deal and ready to carry the load. We have some real talent at WR as well. Our D looked great. After the initial series to start the game, ISU had to earn every yard they got running the ball. One big play with the dive up the gut accounted for 1/3 of their total rushing yards.

This game is a huge benchmark game. We are going against a D this week that is probably just a step below, in terms of the front seven, than ISU. If we want to be successful this season, we have to win this game.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Huge Game for both programs.
                    A loss could mean the end of playoff hopes for either team, since they'd likely have to go 9-1 to finish the season, which is not likely in the MVFC!

Comment

Don't get me wrong about Berry, I'm confident he will play well the remainder of the year. However, if he doesn't teams will key on the run and force us to beat them in the air. Our ability to control game clock and field position is compromised and our inexperienced secondary and thin LB core will be on the field way too much. So, Berry HAS to play better the rest of the year and I expect that he will.

I too felt amazingly good about a 44-17 blowout. There were a lot of positive things accomplished on the field. Berry's performance, as a whole, just wasn't one of them.

We need a great showing the next 2 weeks at home. Granted, its only one game at a time so lets have a great game against Youngstown. I'll be there in support.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Don't get me wrong about Berry, I'm confident he will play well the remainder of the year. However, if he doesn't teams will key on the run and force us to beat them in the air. Our ability to control game clock and field position is compromised and our inexperienced secondary and thin LB core will be on the field way too much. So, Berry HAS to play better the rest of the year and I expect that he will.
                        Agree whole-heartedly

Comment

Just a bit curious, but has Iowa State played Ohio State recently? My0 memory says they have not, but I suspect if they have, Ohio State has dominated and won. As been mentioned by those more in the know than myself, SDSU came away from ISU with some positives. How about YSU and their game? If the hot shot from Wisconsin with legal problems shows up how are we going to prepare for him? I would like to think we are the favorites, but I think we have to give it our best effort in order to win.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 09-02-2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Soften them up alittle for us and Good Luck on Saturday.

Comment

Getting ready for a great tailgate and then watch a victory for the Jacks......Everybody with me on that idea?????

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan View Post
                                Getting ready for a great tailgate and then watch a victory for the Jacks......Everybody with me on that idea?????

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                                Yes of course! I'm just happy it is a night game... much better atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X