Youngstown State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Youngstown State

43-0 Ohio State. Youngstown was dominated in total yards 495-70 and was held to -10 rushing yards while only gaining 5 first downs. Obviously you can't take much out of this game because Ohio State is a competely different class of football than even Iowa State was for us, but it is still interesting to see the statistical break down.

Comment

We are running the spread now. We are horrible at it. Breaking News though: Former Wisconsin RB Lance Smith will be joining the Penguins after serving jail time the past few weeks in Madison. He could be a game changer. It is unknown whether or not he'll be in a jersey next week in SD!

Our Defense does need to take something away from this game. Ohio State was within our 30 five times, three of which inside the 10 yd. line, and the Penguins held them to field goals all five times! I was happy with our defense overall. Hold the #2 team to four td's and five fg's....

Hope to work hand and hand with you guys to cover the game on my site: GuinZone.com.

Comment

Originally posted by guinzone View Post
        We are running the spread now. We are horrible at it. Breaking News though: Former Wisconsin RB Lance Smith will be joining the Penguins after serving jail time the past few weeks in Madison. He could be a game changer. It is unknown whether or not he'll be in a jersey next week in SD!

Our Defense does need to take something away from this game. Ohio State was within our 30 five times, three of which inside the 10 yd. line, and the Penguins held them to field goals all five times! I was happy with our defense overall. Hold the #2 team to four td's and five fg's....

Hope to work hand and hand with you guys to cover the game on my site: GuinZone.com.
        YSU's defense, particularly the front 7, looked very stout at times today. I'd say the strength of our team is also the front 7 on defense. It should be a fun game. We're hoping for a big crowd and a better performance from our QB than we got this week.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

There was a stat showed sometime during the mid 3rd quarter or early 4th that showed OSU was in the red zone 4 times and got 3 field goals and a fumble out of it. Pretty stout effort by Ytown
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            There was a stat showed sometime during the mid 3rd quarter or early 4th that showed OSU was in the red zone 4 times and got 3 field goals and a fumble out of it. Pretty stout effort by Ytown
            That's about the only we can take from this game lol..... This week I'll need info on your O-D-Special Teams to cover on my site!

THANKS

Comment

It would be nice to have an out of conference FCS game before our league schedule starts to gauge what the team needs to work on, but the schedule is what it is. As soon as this schedule came out we knew it would be tough. This game will set the tone for league play for both teams. At least it is in Brookings!!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                Good (warm) weather, a festive Tailgate in the backyard, and cheer til lose your voice for a Jacks win.
                Just got home from an extended Ames and beyond Iowa trip and my vocals are still not fully repaired.

Most of the ISU game threads are old and I was not around to comment on them. One thing to take from the previous game is please throw the ball farther than 5 yards, enough said. JaRon also commented on it in the Argus yesterday, so there is some obvious disappointment about it in the locker room.

This team should not hold their head and should come into this game ready to play and win.

Kyle Minnett is no Beenie Wells, but the key to the game is to establish him early, regardless of YSU's front seven strength. Then let Berry play action a little and get his stroke back.

GO JACKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  Just got home from an extended Ames and beyond Iowa trip and my vocals are still not fully repaired.

Most of the ISU game threads are old and I was not around to comment on them. One thing to take from the previous game is please throw the ball farther than 5 yards, enough said. JaRon also commented on it in the Argus yesterday, so there is some obvious disappointment about it in the locker room.

This team should not hold their head and should come into this game ready to play and win.

Kyle Minnett is no Beenie Wells, but the key to the game is to establish him early, regardless of YSU's front seven strength. Then let Berry play action a little and get his stroke back.

GO JACKS!!!
                  I agree completely. That game plan was terrible and tough to watch. Establishing the run and throwing the ball DOWN FIELD to stretch out the defense will be key. It is very tough to have success when the scheme essentially shrinks the field to fifteen yards long. It was too bad that Jaron felt the need to make those frustrations public, but if there ever was a situation that warranted that kind of response I think this was it. Anyone can catch screen passes and slants, when you have a receiver with 4.4 speed you need to get him the ball in some space.

Comment

Considering how many times Berry was put on his backside shortly after throwing those short passes I don't know that we had enough time to attempt much for longer routes.

I think it was a good game plan. We moved the ball pretty well and were getting first downs. If we didn't have 6 turnovers the coaches would be looking pretty smart...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      Considering how many times Berry was put on his backside shortly after throwing those short passes I don't know that we had enough time to attempt much for longer routes.

I think it was a good game plan. We moved the ball pretty well and were getting first downs. If we didn't have 6 turnovers the coaches would be looking pretty smart...
                      I thought the same thing 02. Maybe JaRon should have looked back a few times and seen the hits Berry was taking 2 seconds after the snap.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Just joined the board....looking forward to giving Jacks fans alittle "grief"

First off, I'll root for the Jacks anytime, except when they play the Bison. SDSU went on this journey ( D1 ) with us and I'll support the Jacks anytime.....'cus of that loyalty. UND/USD snubbed us and they can "rot" for all I care...but we both will probably play them both very soon!!

Hope you kick some ass on YSU....show them the "Dakota Boys" are going to be the top dogs in this conference.

I was in Brookings last yr and what a great game. It didn't turn out the way I wanted but the Jacks deserved to win. Bison had a lot of mistakes but the Jacks were ready for us and beat us. Congrats!! Overall it was a great college fb atmosphere....this yr in the dome should be great. Hopefully it's for the con championship.

Looking forward to some debates here...but Kick-Ass this weekend!!

Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
                          Just joined the board....looking forward to giving Jacks fans alittle "grief"
                          Welcome to the board. I feel the same alliance with our Land Grant college to the north...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

I largely agree with your post. However, in my opinion Berry would not have had five interceptions if he was able to air it out a little more. That type of scheme puts a lot of pressure on the quarterback to be perfect, and when you are nickel and diming your way down the field chances are the defense is eventually going to make a play also. Airing it out a little more would have spread the field out and would have created a little more space for Berry to complete passes.

Comment

Okay so some info for you guys. Our starting kicker will be back this week, he was hurt last week, and of course it didn't hurt since we never scored! I am hearing conflicting reports about the Wisconsin RB coming to YSU. My sources say he is a Penguin. One random poster on the 'other' YSU forum says he is going to Memphis.

Lance Smith in court said: I WILL RETURN TO OHIO.

So believe who you want, but my source has the inside knowledge.... More to come..

Comment

Originally posted by guinzone View Post
                                Okay so some info for you guys. Our starting kicker will be back this week, he was hurt last week, and of course it didn't hurt since we never scored! I am hearing conflicting reports about the Wisconsin RB coming to YSU. My sources say he is a Penguin. One random poster on the 'other' YSU forum says he is going to Memphis.

Lance Smith in court said: I WILL RETURN TO OHIO.

So believe who you want, but my source has the inside knowledge.... More to come..
                                Thanks for the updates, guinzone, and I really enjoyed reading your Web site. FYI: Here's a link to the John Stiegelmeier Show for last week that will help you with your SDSU scouting. And this week's show (shot last night) will be posted (here, and on gojacks.com) tomorrow.

http://vimeo.com/1615050
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X