Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game Thread: Iowa State

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
    Aside from your middle linebacker, I don't remember anyone just lighting people up. #23 had some nice hits, but were more a product of right place, right time than being physically overpowering. Your middle linebacker was the best defensive player on the field yesterday. He was flying around and lighting people up, no denying that. As an ex-linebacker, I can appreciate his play and even be envious of it. However, I don't remember any other huge shots than that. Give me an example of a huge hit that I'm missing and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. Assuming, of course, that you're not going to point to one of the 4 unsportsmanlike penalties for late hits. Because, those don't count. Although, #23 seemed to think they did.

There was a hit in the 2nd half on your WR where his helmet was almost dislodged. Looked like he had a seizure....

Comment

Do you really want me to answer the 20-0 question? How does 2 turnovers inside ISU's 15 sound for an answer. If we even kick two field goals instead of 2 INT's, it's a 10-6 game at half. Anyone who watched that game knows that is a FACT - to borrow a phrase from the good doctor.
      I hate getting into little arguements like this... But, Turnovers are apart of the game. If you are going to think like that, then the score could have been 44-9, If only we didn't hit your running back at the end where he fumbled the ball, then one of your guys recovered it and returned it for a touchdown... It just doesn't work out like that. Turnovers suck and cost most people games. Trust me, we are ISU, i know exactly how it feels to fumble or turn the ball over in the red zone, numerous times in 1 game to throw the game away. Any ISU fan has felt that feeling and worse in the past couple of years. (*cough cough* missing game winning field goals inside the 30) ... I digress. Good luck to your team in the future and I wish it only the best!

Comment

Originally posted by mplscyclone View Post
        There was a hit in the 2nd half on your WR where his helmet was almost dislodged. Looked like he had a seizure....
        Poor pass by the QB with your corner lying in wait. It is painfully obvious you know little about football other than the periphery and glitz, but that hit was not an example of your player being a bigger hitter than ours. It was a product of the QB hanging his WR out to dry on a quick out where the DB on the outside receiver read it all the way. Next...
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Aside from your middle linebacker, I don't remember anyone just lighting people up. #23 had some nice hits, but were more a product of right place, right time than being physically overpowering. Your middle linebacker was the best defensive player on the field yesterday. He was flying around and lighting people up, no denying that. As an ex-linebacker, I can appreciate his play and even be envious of it. However, I don't remember any other huge shots than that. Give me an example of a huge hit that I'm missing and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. Assuming, of course, that you're not going to point to one of the 4 unsportsmanlike penalties for late hits. Because, those don't count. Although, #23 seemed to think they did.
          Well, I couldn't see the number bc my seats were horrid. But I think it was our cornerback lighting up a receiver a couple of times. Was the # 23? If it was, then sorry. But, yes, Jesse Smith (MLB) is an animal. I'm actually friends with the kid. He definitly hits harder than what his size says.

Comment

Speaking of big hits, Brock Campbell had a couple nice ones, and I think Kjerstad looks noticeably bigger this year and had some good ones as well.

And going back to the Dline and tackles for loss discussion.
            http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1571179

SDSU had 4 TFL, 1 QB hurry and 3 forced fumbles in the game, ISU had 2 TFL, 1 QB hurry and 2 FF...

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
              I hate getting into little arguements like this... But, Turnovers are apart of the game. If you are going to think like that, then the score could have been 44-9, If only we didn't hit your running back at the end where he fumbled the ball, then one of your guys recovered it and returned it for a touchdown... It just doesn't work out like that. Turnovers suck and cost most people games. Trust me, we are ISU, i know exactly how it feels to fumble or turn the ball over in the red zone, numerous times in 1 game to throw the game away. Any ISU fan has felt that feeling and worse in the past couple of years. (*cough cough* missing game winning field goals inside the 30) ... I digress. Good luck to your team in the future and I wish it only the best!

I agree cydave and am not blaming turnovers on the loss. idiotcyfan asked the question as if the score was somehow a reflection of the play of the first half, when it wasn't. The turnovers were a direct result of your defensive scheming and hats off to that. The blitz caused the turnovers. No argument here.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

When you point out they lost 3 fumbles and then say it would have been closer if we hadn't tossed 5 interceptions, they can just say it would have been an even bigger win if we (IA St) hadn't lost 3 fumbles. I'm just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                  Well, I couldn't see the number bc my seats were horrid. But I think it was our cornerback lighting up a receiver a couple of times. Was the # 23? If it was, then sorry. But, yes, Jesse Smith (MLB) is an animal. I'm actually friends with the kid. He definitly hits harder than what his size says.
                  And he's a former walk-on from what I understand. There was no quit in that dude.

Comment

Originally posted by mplscyclone View Post
                    Not worried about the injuries.... Part of the game. They were more self-inflicted and that happens. The injuries didn't happen because you guys were more physical. I heard comments from SDSU fans after the game talking about how much more physical ISU was and how big of a difference that is between the different levels.
                    Self inflicted??? Wow, I know in the past (BB player robbing BK, With his poster on the wall) you have had subpar academic athletes....but self inflicted injuries....
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                      Self inflicted??? Wow, I know in the past (BB player robbing BK, With his poster on the wall) subpar academic athletes....but self inflicted injuries....

I get the feeling from reading some of his posts, mplscyclone knows a lot about self inflicted injuries...

Comment

Not much to be said that hasn't been said...but I'll just add a couple of observations:

1) ISU returned four starters on the defensive line and three in the defensive secondary. SDSU lost some outstanding O-line people and so were starting over a bit there. That difference showed and was a major factor I think.

2) As most fans know, when you go into the other guy's house and you're an underdog (as we certainly were, no matter what anybody says), a single play can kill your mo. We got that...down 7...in front of 46,000 yelling fans, we recovered a fumble at their end and the blue section erupted and our players did as well. Moments later, the first Berry pick by a D-lineman turned the whole thing around, they score a field goal (credit to our D that they didn't score a TD) and the 10-point turnaround took a lot of air out of everybody.

3) Finally, while ISU has had 85 scholarship players (for years) and we now have 63...I would remind everybody that we are only three years removed from 40 (approx), and so the expansion in scholarships merely means we have a lot more true freshmen and freshmen redshirts because of that expansion. It will take a few more years to say we are truly at 63 upperclass scholarship players when we play future FBS teams.

Everybody can blame Ryan if they want, and he certainly had a bad game (not unlike Western Illinois last year, only worse but against a much better team thatn WI). But a large majority of the time, it was as one earlier poster said, "get rid of the ball immediately as you are about to be dumped on your keister". We have our best quarterback playing, and our O-line will do the best they can...let's move on to beating Youngstown!!

Comment

I am really confused as to where people are getting the "Iowa State's lines were so much bigger and more physical" thought pattern. I was fortunate enough to be on the sidelines during the game, and the difference in size of the offensive and defensive lines was not that pronounced..... From that perspective it was obvious the biggest difference in size was between the skill players, and specifically the height of the skill players. Iowa State's receivers were much taller than our receivers, and had a significant size advantage over our corners..... On one particular play in the 4th quarter Iowa State threw up a ball downfield and our corner was in great position to make the play but the taller receiver came down with the ball. A defensive coach yelled "You've gotta make that play!" and our guy responded with a look that simply said how? It was tough to see a kid be in perfect position be unable to make the play because the opposing receiver was a good 5 inches taller than him. I can not remember a time in the game that an Iowa State receiver did not come down with a jump ball, and was surprised they did not attack that mismatch more often.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                            I am really confused as to where people are getting the "Iowa State's lines were so much bigger and more physical" thought pattern. I was fortunate enough to be on the sidelines during the game, and the difference in size of the offensive and defensive lines was not that pronounced..... From that perspective it was obvious the biggest difference in size was between the skill players, and specifically the height of the skill players. Iowa State's receivers were much taller than our receivers, and had a significant size advantage over our corners..... On one particular play in the 4th quarter Iowa State threw up a ball downfield and our corner was in great position to make the play but the taller receiver came down with the ball. A defensive coach yelled "You've gotta make that play!" and our guy responded with a look that simply said how? It was tough to see a kid be in perfect position be unable to make the play because the opposing receiver was a good 5 inches taller than him. I can not remember a time in the game that an Iowa State receiver did not come down with a jump ball, and was surprised they did not attack that mismatch more often.
                            I was not at the game nor did I have access to any TV or video of the game. I only had Steve Imming's descriptions and I dont recall Steve making any reference to size differences, but Ryan Berry's quote to the Argus did mention the differences in size and speed and thats my source for mentions of size differences made mention in my prior post.
                            I believe Berry was telling it like it was and who else would better? Certainly he would know more than someone fortunate to stand on the sideline.

It stands to reason that the Big 12 schools are just naturally going to get first crack at the bigger and faster guys over the ones SDSU has now on the roster. Its going to be a long long time before SDSU matches the B12 in recruiting.

Somewhere, somehow there were size differences to produce the turnovers and picks. I never implied that there big differences, but there had to be some or otherwise the final score would not have been 44-17.

Also Jack#1fan reference to 85 scholarships for a long period of time as opposed to SDSU 63 for only a couple of seasons does make a difference in the talent level. So a number of things could at play here. SDSU lost that we can not deny and the whys are probably correct in a number of posts in this thread. No fan has a monopoly on observation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I was not at the game nor did I have access to any TV or video of the game. I only had Steve Imming's descriptions and I dont recall Steve making any reference to size differences, but Ryan Berry's quote to the Argus did mention the differences in size and speed and thats my source for mentions of size differences made mention in my prior post.
                              I believe Berry was telling it like it was and who else would better? Certainly he would know more than someone fortunate to stand on the sideline.

It stands to reason that the Big 12 schools are just naturally going to get first crack at the bigger and faster guys over the ones SDSU has now on the roster. Its going to be a long long time before SDSU matches the B12 in recruiting.

Somewhere, somehow there were size differences to produce the turnovers and picks. I never implied that there big differences, but there had to be some or otherwise the final score would not have been 44-17.

Also Jack#1fan reference to 85 scholarships for a long period of time as opposed to SDSU 63 for only a couple of seasons does make a difference in the talent level. So a number of things could at play here. SDSU lost that we can not deny and the whys are probably correct in a number of posts in this thread. No fan has a monopoly on observation.
                              Sorry for providing my observations and opinions on the game sir didn't mean to offend you. Of course there was a size and speed differential all over the field. I was just stating that the difference in size of the lines was not as big of a deal as some are making it out to be... our guys fit in size wise and competed very well on the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                                Sorry for providing my observations and opinions on the game sir didn't mean to offend you. Of course there was a size and speed differential all over the field. I was just stating that the difference in size of the lines was not as big of a deal as some are making it out to be... our guys fit in size wise and competed very well on the line of scrimmage.
                                No apology necessary, my take on the game is very uninformed since it consisted of a WNAX and Argus. I would have loved to been there in person even if we lost, and been able to draw my own conclusions of program differences. Like you said, the differences might not be that significant. I am happy to hear that we did match up and some of the guys did some encouraging things despite the 27 point loss. I appreciate everyone who was there at the game and their observations. Onward to Mo Valley and Youngstown.
                                Last edited by Nidaros; 08-30-2008, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X