A question for SDSU fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for SDSU fans...

Not to flame, but I've noticed you guys seem very confidet about tomorrow night. Do you actually think you'll win, or are you just optimistic? I'm sure everyone is really excited, but do you honestly think you have a good shot at victory? This game scares me, but only because we have had this tendency to really take opponents from lower conferences/divisions lightly, and really stub our toe. I know you guys played a good game against UNI and have some quality players, but I really feel that Chizik has gotten us past games like the Kent St and UNI games last year. Losing to you would be a huge blow to where our program seems to be headed, and I just don't see it happening. Bottom line is we need this win worse than you do, and I hope we respond. Hope I didn't sound disrespectful, and hopefully all who come to Ames tomorrow have a blast (I'm sure our fans will be friendly... just don't wear black and gold). You will never find a better tailgate.

Re: A question for SDSU fans...

some of the posters here are just that way.

I am actually just hoping it will be close. We lost some pretty good secondary and offensive line players to graduation.

If it were last year's team, I would feel more confident, actually.

But there are other posters here who are much more knowledgable about the Jacks than I, and they think we have a better shot than I do.

Good post, btw.

Comment

I don't think our players are going down there to get run over. We are going to play the best we can. Is our best good enough to beat an established Big XII team? I would say no. Does that mean we can't win? Of course we could win but to expect so is just plain crazy talk IMHO.

I don't think we know what to expect from our team this year. Berry is experienced and very solid but not a game changer. Our RB's are good but I don't think they are better than we've had the last few years. The O-line definitely is a huge question mark and thats not good going up against an FBS team. Our receivers and return game will be above average for FCS.

Our defensive line has to be close to if not the best it has ever been. Our LB's are smaller but quick and they hit hard. A little depth concern their. Our DB's are very talented but I'm concerned about experience. Our punter can be great at times. Our kickers are shaky at best.

All that said, I'm hoping for a close game and a possible HUGE UPSET. If you want me to put my money where my mouth is I'd need at least 14 1/2 points and I'd prefer 17 1/2. I am very anxious and excited about the game and won't get much sleep tonight. If I expected us to get steam rolled I'd probably be less anxious. Does that mean we won't get crushed? No, but I sure hope we don't and I don't think our guys will let that happen.

I'm most looking forward to the atmosphere. The tailgate, the large crowd, the "bigger time" feel. I think a lot of our players and supporters feel that way.

So....I'm saying there is a chance......just not a very good one.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Pretty reasonable I suppose. Based on our early season track record, I think it might be closer than some on our board think, but I really think our offense should move the ball well. We return 3 backs that had 100 yard games, a good line, a solid receiving corp, and really the ? is at quarterback, and Arnaud played well in Big 12 games last year. I'm the most worried about you guys taking some deep shots early and our corners falling asleep and getting burned. This happened to us in '05 against Illinois State. I think you guys strike early, but we wear you out with the ground game, and hit a few nice passes after that. 30-16 'Clones, with one of our scores coming very late.

Comment

Originally posted by ISUal View Post
          Not to flame, but I've noticed you guys seem very confidet about tomorrow night. Do you actually think you'll win, or are you just optimistic? I'm sure everyone is really excited, but do you honestly think you have a good shot at victory? This game scares me, but only because we have had this tendency to really take opponents from lower conferences/divisions lightly, and really stub our toe. I know you guys played a good game against UNI and have some quality players, but I really feel that Chizik has gotten us past games like the Kent St and UNI games last year. Losing to you would be a huge blow to where our program seems to be headed, and I just don't see it happening. Bottom line is we need this win worse than you do, and I hope we respond. Hope I didn't sound disrespectful, and hopefully all who come to Ames tomorrow have a blast (I'm sure our fans will be friendly... just don't wear black and gold). You will never find a better tailgate.
          When has FBS fallen to FCS?

Most likely time is first game of the season (UNH over Northwestern '06, App St over Michigan '07, Nichols St. over Rice '07)

When the FCS team is in the top 30 of FCS, and FBS team is in lower half of FBS.

When the FCS team comes in with a solid, returning QB, and offense, and the FBS team is rebuilding (know their gameplan, and execute it better than FBS).

All three of these factors "fit" the SDSU/ISU game. Overall, FCS wins about 10% of the games played at FBS. The FBS teams typically have more "endurance" because of the extra 22 schollies, so many FCS/FBS games are tight for 2.5 quarters, then the larger team pulls away from the scrappy underdog. The ONLY time I've seen a betting line go to the FCS over the FBS was the NDSU vs Gophers last year. NDSU TOTALLY manhandled Minnesota. Final Score? 29-24 NDSU.

Definitely don't expect to have a lop-sided game, and there are enough examples of FCS wins, so I'd say the Jacks hopes are up. However, we're still to win a game vs the "Big boys" and Iowa St, BXII, is a BIG BOY.

Comment

I think that no matter what Jackrabbit fans hope happens tonight in Ames, the fact is that much of the success of tonight for SDSU has little to do with the final score of this game. As a follower of a long established BCS Conference program ISUal, you have to realize that just being able to qualify to schedule this game at this point is a great acccomplishment for our program.

It is the culmination of a difficult 5 years of transition from DII to DI, during which SDSU received a fairly heavy dose of criticism especially in the first couple of years of the process. The fact that the schools athletic programs have survived this reclassification and in come cases excelled during this trying process is a testament that SDSU is committed to be anything other than a bottom dwelling Division I NCAA member.

One thing promised leading up to the transition was the increased exposure in the region and the nation which would help propell SDSU as an entire university forward into new territory. Tonight is one of those first big payoffs. To play against a Big12 opponent, especially when the television coverage came into play makes this a perfect time to take another step to make more people aware of the Jackrabbits and SDSU. This goes to the bottom line of recruiting athletes, promoting the excellent academic programs that SDSU has to offer and just generally increases the awareness of the university in the region.

Anything but a 50-3 trouncing will be a victory for SDSU. That being said, I believe this team will hold its own at least for a portion of this game. ISU 38, SDSU 20 with the Cyclones scoring twice in the fourth quarter to put away a game that is close past halftime.
            Last edited by JackrabbitGuy; 08-28-2008, 07:33 AM. Reason: type
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Not quite as exciting as MJA's post "if you know what I mean" but definitely put everyting in a nutshell for us fans. Great Post Jackrabbit Guy and definitely rep worthy.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

What gives SDSU the best chance in my opinion is that the strength of Iowa State will be the run where as the strength for SDSU is our front 7 on D. If Iowa St. was a passing team we probably wouldn't stand much of a chance because our DB's our so inexperienced. (talented but inexperienced).
                It also helps that Iowa State has inexperience at QB. We all saw what happens when you're trying to break in a new QB last year with Ryan's first few games, and he didn't have the pressure of playing for his job like IA state's QB.

I think we'll keep this game close and it will all come down to whose freshman kickers can put the ball through the uprights.

IA STATE 23
                JACKS 19

Comment

Originally posted by ISUal View Post
                  If you ever go into something believing that you will fail, that is exactly what will happen a vast majority of the time. OTOH, if you go into something with confidence, believing that you can / will succeed, I'd give odds for victory.

"What it takes"

is as much in the heart and upstairs in the melon as it is simple ability.

*do you seriously believe...? is the sort of talk that should be reserved for cellar-dwellers and natural born losers

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
                    If you ever go into something believing that you will fail, that is exactly what will happen a vast majority of the time. OTOH, if you go into something with confidence, believing that you can / will succeed, I'd give odds for victory.

"What it takes"

is as much in the heart and upstairs in the melon as it is simple ability.

*do you seriously believe...? is the sort of talk that should be reserved for cellar-dwellers and natural born losers

I'm with you UTH. I honestly believed our guys went down there and believed they would come home with a win. I would love to have these guys again. I don't believe they're the best team we'll play this year. The talent on the field was closer than some ISU fans would like to believe. NDSU went in to Minnesota two years ago, knocked some heads around and came up short. Last year, there was no doubt. SDSU football is getting closer to NDSU in that regard (the "we don't care who you are or where you came from, we're going to piss pound you all day long" type of regard).

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                      I'm with you UTH. I honestly believed our guys went down there and believed they would come home with a win. I would love to have these guys again. I don't believe they're the best team we'll play this year. The talent on the field was closer than some ISU fans would like to believe. NDSU went in to Minnesota two years ago, knocked some heads around and came up short. Last year, there was no doubt. SDSU football is getting closer to NDSU in that regard (the "we don't care who you are or where you came from, we're going to piss pound you all day long" type of regard).

The last 2 years have been some of the worst in Minnesota history. You didn't knock us around and ISU controlled the game. ISU made some mistakes but there are BIG differences between talent.

There were a couple of running plays in particular. Iowa State had a dive which SDSU blew up and was in the backfield. Our RB ran outside PAST your DE and OLBs and still got 8 yards. If it was us playing a Big XII team, it would've been a rush of -3 for ISU.
                      Last edited by mplscyclone; 08-29-2008, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mplscyclone View Post
                        Our RB ran outside PAST your DE and OLBs and still got 8 years.
                        I thought it was one of Iowa's players that got 8 years.

To the visiting Cyclone fans, you won the game last night. If you want to rationalize anything I would do it on one of your sites. We aren't in a position to feel the same way as you do and aren't as likely. It sounds like there was a great atmosphere and up until the start of the game both sets of fans enjoyed themselves. I wish you guys the best of luck on the rest of the season as it will make this game look better for us in the end.

Now on to the Penquins
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                        X