Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Media Coverage

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Do you think the fact NDSU has captured some notable Yankton area athletes ie. Gerry Ebel has a lot to do with the P&D coverage? I think there should be more expected of the Register. How difficult is to send over a reporter and photographer to cover the hometown team. Can't be because of the travel costs.
    I don't doubt that plays a part but all the same, I believe 32 students from Yankton are attending SDSU this year and I'm guessing we have about 10 student athletes from Yankton on Jackrabbit teams.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

When I was at the Register the sports department was comprised of one guy (the editor) plus a part-timer who mostly helped answer calls from coaches reporting scores on Friday nights. The editor was expected to cover high school sports in Brookings, Arlington, Estelline, Sioux Valley, Colman-Egan, Flandreau, Elkton, Deubrook and Oldham-Ramona-Rutland as well as SDSU. The person who holds that job is on the go constantly, Monday through Saturday, and fields a steady stream of calls from parents who think (rightfully so, sometimes) that their town’s not getting covered. It’s very much a get-your-feet-wet position, and as a result people are usually there long enough to learn the job, do it for a year, then move on.

The paper is in a tough position, sandwiched between the local coverage areas of the Watertown and Sioux Falls papers. The big problem, though, seems to be the corporate ownership; they run a daily paper with a weekly mentality. I had heard there were some changes in the works with regards to SDSU coverage, but that remains to be seen.

If anyone is really that interested in how stuff works there, though I can’t imagine anyone would be, you can PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Do you think the fact NDSU has captured some notable Yankton area athletes ie. Gerry Ebel has a lot to do with the P&D coverage? I think there should be more expected of the Register. How difficult is to send over a reporter and photographer to cover the hometown team. Can't be because of the travel costs.
        Jerry Ebel plus Justin Frick from a couple years ago. Same reason the SD papers have Becky Hammon, Mike Miller, etc. articles - everyone wants to keep up with how the "home town heros" are doing. But you're right, the local paper should be covering the local team more extensively. I hate it when I read an article on UND in the Fargo paper - if I wanted to read about those followers, I'd read the GF paper!

Comment

Speaking of media coverage, interesting news from the Argus Leader today. Executive Editor Randell Beck has been promoted to Publisher and President of Argus Leader Media. That's good news in a lot of ways (disclosure: I think Beck is an outstanding newspaper man). I would note that it is Randell Beck who assigned at full-time beat reporter to cover SDSU. And Beck, during a public presentation at SDSU last year, declared our move to D1 a roaring success.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...DATES/80806029
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

As we would expect from the flagship station WNAX, they will be increasing coverage this year. Tell you friends, neighbors and any potential sponsors.

My understanding is that the pre-game show will be expanded to 90 minutes before K.O. There will be a halftime show and they want to have a post-game call in show if they get some participation. I think you all know what that means. Get WNAX's phone number stored on your cell and call them with your opinions after the game.

All of this seems like great news to me and I can't wait to have them on at the tailgate site and to listen at halftime.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              As we would expect from the flagship station WNAX, they will be increasing coverage this year. Tell you friends, neighbors and any potential sponsors.

My understanding is that the pre-game show will be expanded to 90 minutes before K.O. There will be a halftime show and they want to have a post-game call in show if they get some participation. I think you all know what that means. Get WNAX's phone number stored on your cell and call them with your opinions after the game.

All of this seems like great news to me and I can't wait to have them on at the tailgate site and to listen at halftime.
              Great news, I hope you are right.

Comment

Great to hear about expanded WNAX coverage. Really great.

I certainly understand the pinch the Register is in. Those people at smaller papers bust their humps for very little pay.

I shoudn't comment on television coverage as I don't see much of it. I assume KELO provides the best coverage, but note I used the word assume. I got wound up at them for a night last fall because the night of the SDSU/NDSU football game (you could argue it was the biggest football game in the history of the state, although there would be protests) KELO led with National American volleyball. I think the game was the third story. Oops. Somebody was asleep at the switch.
                Last edited by rabidrabbit; 08-07-2008, 10:59 AM.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  Great to hear about expanded WNAX coverage. Really great.

I certainly understand the pinch the Register is in. Those people at smaller people bust their humps for very little pay.

I shoudn't comment on television coverage as I don't see much of it. I assume KELO provides the best coverage, but note I used the word assume. I got wound up at them for a night last fall because the night of the SDSU/NDSU football game (you could argue it was the biggest football game in the history of the state, although there would be protests) KELO led with National American volleyball. I think the game was the third story. Oops. Somebody was asleep at the switch.
                  That assumption would be wrong. I don't think any of the three Sioux Falls stations are very consistent in their coverage but IMO KDLT probably does the best job with KELO and then KSFY. KSFY used to be up there but it seems lately that they go as far as to ignore SDSU from time to time.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                    That assumption would be wrong. I don't think any of the three Sioux Falls stations are very consistent in their coverage but IMO KDLT probably does the best job with KELO and then KSFY. KSFY used to be up there but it seems lately that they go as far as to ignore SDSU from time to time.

I agree with your post eqguy in regards to KDLT. If you want the best SDSU coverage, Mark Ovenden does the best job by far.
                    I think he sincerely likes SDSU and it seems to show on air. I was listening to him on the Craig and Bob show last year before the SDSU/NDSU game and they got to talking about great places to watch a football game in SD, and Mark O. said CAS is hands down his favorite.

Of course Craig couldn't believe he thought that.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      I agree with your post eqguy in regards to KDLT. If you want the best SDSU coverage, Mark Ovenden does the best job by far.
                      I think he sincerely likes SDSU and it seems to show on air. I was listening to him on the Craig and Bob show last year before the SDSU/NDSU game and they got to talking about great places to watch a football game in SD, and Mark O. said CAS is hands down his favorite.

Go Jacks!!
                      Because we ALL know if it's not in Sioux Falls, it's CRAP! LOL
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Go Jacks!!
                        Agree, KELO use to be hands down the best for sports, weather, etc... Now, they are hands down the worst and I don't think its even close.

KSFY was doing a fairly decent job but now it seems like KDLT is the station for Jacks coverage. I find it discouraging and a waste when they lead with stories about the Storm, Skyforce, Canaries or some other semi-pro sport with very few South Dakota ties. Sure, I know they are Sioux Falls teams and have a few SD guys but most of the watchers don't give a damn. At least thats the way I feel.

As for Craig, here is a perfect clip to describe him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6GRagthUg

Comment

LOL!! That you tube video is awesome. I miss those commercials!

Comment

Thought this post might go well here:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2571

Very cool page, considering it's ESPN.com!! And this information looks correct too!!

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Note that Terry comments on the expanded coverage from WNAX and 910 in his blog from today. He will be part of both stations pre-game shows.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...rgusleader.com

Comment

Note that Terry comments on the expanded coverage from WNAX and 910 in his blog from today. He will be part of both stations pre-game shows.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...rgusleader.com
                                Bump. WNAX will begin coverage at 5:30 Thursday. Listen to Steve and Jerry (with special guest TV) and then listen to WNAX while you watch the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X